Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
seeking opinions before I buy my next boat this year - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default Get real boat

Superhawk or Alumacraft Trophy your going to have step up your budget! 4-7 will get nothing decent. I just saw Klamath with tracker 50 force motor sell $12k I thought was rip off.
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksx3 View Post
Some local dealers I know that carry used and I feel have sme reutable staffing are Jerry's Sport Service in Beloit, and Rock River Marina.
X2 on these dealers. I deal with Beaver at Jerry's Sport Service and Frank at Rock River Marina.

Lund has the 1400 and 1600 fury and they are fairly reasonable. Jerry's Sport Service 608-365-4520

Last edited by impalapower; 02-05-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Minnow

I do appreciate the replies, opinions and pm's from Forum folks. I am still shopping for boat and have gone to several marinas and checked out some from CL. Based on the varied info I have gotten, I may re-appraise what I need. Perhaps a slightly bigger boat/motor would work OK. My budget can be to $10K.

My biggest fear is a boat that is too big for me to handle alone. I will trailer the boat to/from our house and park it beside our driveway on our property. There will be many times when I will fish alone and have to get the boat into and out of the water on my own.

I saw a 16' Lund SSV in my price range. The boat and trailer were newer but the motor was a 1996 35hp Evinrude (18 years old). The owner had removed all decals from the motor and it was all black. I am skeptical about why the owner did that. Was he so unhappy with it that he refused to advertise the brand? I was recommended by the seller to take the deal and see how the motor ran. It might be perfect. If I was unhappy, he says, I could just replace the motor....huh? A new(er) motor would cost around $4k and the combined cost might get me a new boat and motor.

I am very interested in opinions on this Lund 16' SSV/ 35 evinrude deal. I am also interested in thoughts on a boat size that I can handle alone. Thanks so much
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancocasrich View Post
I just moved to Madison and want to spend time on the local and state waters. I have owned several aluminum boats and have liked each of them for various reasons.

I intend to purchase my next boat this winter or spring. It will be aluminum. I will use it for fishing and also as a pleasure boat to take my toddler granddaughter out on the water (and maybe pull in a tube some ay).

I am a senior retiree and reasonably physically able. I am thinking 15'-16'. I want an open boat with bench seats and maybe walk-throughs. I think about 25 hp will do. I want tiller control and electric start with power trim and tilt. Some storage would be a plus. I would like a trolling motor and fish finder.

I intend to trailer the boat and park it on my property. My budget is $4K - $7K and would like to buy a used boat. I have no preference for make of boat.

All suggestions and opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks (anyone got one to sell?)
Start watching sales adds for independent sales, if you watch long enough you'll find what you want. I don't thing you will find one in or at a dealer.
My personal opinion, Paul
Old 02-17-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancocasrich View Post
tythepilot, thanks for the tip. I did send him a message. The boat looks very nice but I am reluctant to go 14'. The next boat has to seat 5 people max. I will find out when he replies.

The forum folk are being a big help in my search. thanks

Please keep the ideas coming
Sounds like you've had plenty of boat experience so don't want to question your judgement but....if I planned on occasionally carrying up to 5 and wanted to be able to tube I'd be thinking something close to 17' and motor size of 60 and up.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Keeper

Harbor rec has at leat 3 used that would fit the bill as you describe.
Jerry's has 2 that are close (slightly higher in price).
Rock River appeared to have one.
A good relationship with a dealer is priceless. You can buy independent, but the dealer keeps you on the water when something goes wrong.
Fishing show this weekend. All three of these dealers have attended in past years, not sure about this year.

Tags
25hp , aluminum , boat , electric