Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Boat, Lund? looking for insight - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Keeper

I know you are looking for a new boat. But I just traded my 2001 Lund Tyee in for a bigger boat. This boat is in great condition. Check it out.

https://www.gfmarine.com/default.asp...OwnedInventory

It has a 200HP HPDI, 8HP kicker, bow mount trolling motoer, on board charger, Lowrance electronics, rod holder bar at the back, down rigger mount, full canvas, trailering canvas, etc.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Elite FS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 01:07 AM
Wallhanger

I sure width has something to do with the rating. Also compare hull thickness. To keep the price down the transom and hull are normally not built as strong. Kind of like my 1875 crossover. It’s rated for max 175. Around the same size provs and tyees are rated higher. Those boats are also built more heavy duty. They also cost more. I have that same bimmi top storage on my crossover. It is great keeping the top out of the way when not in use. It might push you budget some but the Lund crossover 1775 is a great boat also. I think it would work somewhat better when your kids get older. Does not hurt to price it out. The crossover you need to order the bow filler plate for fishing.

Last edited by Snowking; 03-08-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:24 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
I sure width has something to do with the rating. Also compare hull thickness. To keep the price down the transom and hull are normally not built as strong. Kind of like my 1875 crossover. It’s rated for max 175. Around the same size provs and tyees are rated higher. Those boats are also built more heavy duty. They also cost more. I have that same bimmi top storage on my crossover. It is great keeping the top out of the way when not in use. It might push you budget some but the Lund crossover 1775 is a great boat also. I think it would work somewhat better when your kids get older. Does not hurt to price it out. The crossover you need to order the bow filler plate for fishing.
I looked at the crossover XSs. Priced with a 115 they MSRP with basically the same options for about $8k more.
I'm starting to contemplate a 16.5' boat that is rated for a 115.
The Ranger 1682 looks like it fits the bill pretty well and prices similar with a Yamaha. But then I'm looking for a new boat in 7 years.
Oh the decisions. I guess new weekend will be the tell when I get to some dealers and have some priced out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Wallhanger

Do some research on here. The posts on the ranger aluminum boats have said poor quality. I think going to a smaller boat with some of the lakes you posted would be a mistake. Plus with kids that will get bigger. If you are having budget issues I for sure would look used. I think if you go to a bank or credit union you should be able to get a loan for a used boat. You could look for a used lund impact or crossover. Everybody likes to buy new but it does not always work budget wise. The used boat might already have trolling motor and graphs. You could then upgrade to the newest graphs in the future. When funds allow of course.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Slot Fish

I'm not to worried about getting the financing whether it be new or used, I just have it in my head that I'm not spending more than 30k. That's basically 3k per year to HAVE let alone use (if a person plans to keep it 10 years).
I guess I'd prefer to buy new just to get it over with now but I wouldn't rule out a nice pre-owned. I've owned a boat for the last 10 years and would rather put all the dock rash on myself.

The more and more I look, the more I go back to the adventure with the 115. I feel like it's a done deal if the dealer can drop about 7.5% off msrp. It apprears that most boats and motors come to the dealership invoiced at about %15 off msrp. I figure that's the happy medium. (And try to get 4k for my Alumacraft Dominator Tiller)

I am ready to make the transition to a power drive trolling motor from cable my entire life. Spot lock just has too much upside. I'm unsure if I get the Terrova or the Ultera? Is the automatic deploy that big of an upside?
I feel like if it's not a giant pain in the butt to deploy and lift up, id rather spend the difference in ILINK. Anyone have an opinions on that before I make a new post in the other category?
Old 03-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled_22 View Post
I'm not to worried about getting the financing whether it be new or used, I just have it in my head that I'm not spending more than 30k. That's basically 3k per year to HAVE let alone use (if a person plans to keep it 10 years).
I guess I'd prefer to buy new just to get it over with now but I wouldn't rule out a nice pre-owned. I've owned a boat for the last 10 years and would rather put all the dock rash on myself.

The more and more I look, the more I go back to the adventure with the 115. I feel like it's a done deal if the dealer can drop about 7.5% off msrp. It apprears that most boats and motors come to the dealership invoiced at about %15 off msrp. I figure that's the happy medium. (And try to get 4k for my Alumacraft Dominator Tiller)

I am ready to make the transition to a power drive trolling motor from cable my entire life. Spot lock just has too much upside. I'm unsure if I get the Terrova or the Ultera? Is the automatic deploy that big of an upside?
I feel like if it's not a giant pain in the butt to deploy and lift up, id rather spend the difference in ILINK. Anyone have an opinions on that before I make a new post in the other category?
I have a Terrova linked to a humminbird and it works great, I highly recommend it! My Terrova has the lift assist not the auto deploy which I have no problem putting it in or pulling it out of the water. MK fixed the earlier spot lock issues and I've had no problems with it, mine is a 2018 model.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Wallhanger

The adventure is a nice boat, I looked at one in January at our local boat show. If I were only fishing small to mid size lakes with one other person I wouldn't hesitate to buy this boat. Something to consider is if you've decided on a 115hp keep in mind that's the common motor size for an Impact 1775. If you see these boats side by side you will notice how narrow an 87" beam boat is compared to the 96" beam Impact. I understand the budget thing but are you going to be happy long term or will you be back looking for a larger boat in a few years when the larger boats will be even more expensive.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:42 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Mag View Post
The adventure is a nice boat, I looked at one in January at our local boat show. If I were only fishing small to mid size lakes with one other person I wouldn't hesitate to buy this boat. Something to consider is if you've decided on a 115hp keep in mind that's the common motor size for an Impact 1775. If you see these boats side by side you will notice how narrow an 87" beam boat is compared to the 96" beam Impact. I understand the budget thing but are you going to be happy long term or will you be back looking for a larger boat in a few years when the larger boats will be even more expensive.
That's a fair point. I'll be sure to consider it when I go to the dealerships next weekend. A person thinks, "what difference could 9" make" but when thinking about the sq ft in surface area, it's quite a big difference. I also have it in my head to maximize the HP rating on the boat. I'll look into derating some of the impacts.

Do you have the new IPilot Link remote? is that easy to use and does it have more options for tracking as compared to the standard remote? I'm a little apprehensive about the complexity of the LINK remote. It's probably just a factor of my lack of experience with it.
It's too bad there's 28" of ice on the river still.... Man this itch is real.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Do some research on here. The posts on the ranger aluminum boats have said poor quality. I think going to a smaller boat with some of the lakes you posted would be a mistake. Plus with kids that will get bigger. If you are having budget issues I for sure would look used. I think if you go to a bank or credit union you should be able to get a loan for a used boat. You could look for a used lund impact or crossover. Everybody likes to buy new but it does not always work budget wise. The used boat might already have trolling motor and graphs. You could then upgrade to the newest graphs in the future. When funds allow of course.
So so so this!!! Be willing to travel 10 hours each way and check everyday. Have everything ready to pull the trigger.

New boat prices are insane. So many good boats with under 100 hours for thousands less.
Could see new if you are getting a much lower interest rate. Like 0-2% but other than that it isn’t worth it.

As someone else said, 87” to 96” is a giant giant difference in room and stability.

To the terrova vs the auto deploy. Unless you have an extra $600 burning a hole in your pocket or you’re old I see no reason for auto deploy. Would rather put that money towards a better finder or a bigger/wider boat.

You shop around for any 2018 models? Why not consider alumcraft, polarcraft, mirrocraft, etc?
BT terrova link
Old 03-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Slot Fish

I don't have an issue with 2018 model or any of the other brands. I plan on looking at Lowe next Saturday. The one crumby thing about alumacraft is the local dealer I'm not too fond of. Personal preference but it is nice have a decent dealer.
I don't have a decent dealer for mirrocraft or polarcraft local but I would entertain a used boat of each. I haven't found either. I do want my boat to retain its resale valve so that's why I'd rather spend 2k more right away for retained resale valve 10 years down the road.

Tags
lund , new boat buying