Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Plan for next year trip? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-22-2021, 01:22 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgillespie View Post
We are headed up to Cat Island Lodge near Red Lake in mid-June. We are flying into Winnipeg and renting a car for the drive. When should we book airline tickets and rental car?
My advice is book them both as soon as you can. Rental cars got scarce this year in the summer and may next season too. The flights are likely to change a bunch of times as they work out the flight schedules and it becomes more stable the closer you get to the actual date of flying. The reason I would advise you to book sooner than later in the current situation is that once on the roster it is easier to get changes made without having to pay a change fee (when they make the changes). It is a tough decision, since you will likely pay a bit more for an early reservation though there is no guarantee there will be room on a flight later or that it might not go crazy high in price because of fuel costs, ongoing staff shortages, etc.

I have noticed everything about the trips are trending about 10% higher so our traditional all in cost of $2700 (outfitter, plane tickets, hotels, taxis, grocery, bait, license, misc.) is now around $3000 and nothing appears to be trending toward any stability or reduction in prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2021, 05:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoclad View Post
That might be a possibility. We are limited to 50 lbs each on the checked bag for commercial flight so the rest of our weight is what we carry on, then bait and grocery so we are usually +/- 15lb per guy at that point in additional allowable weight. With a group of 6 that leaves us @90lbs. Maybe a low end trolling motor and a motorcycle battery? Something to think about for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is you can buy a Minnkota and have it dropped shipped to me. Should get free shipping if you use somebody like Reeds. Then when your group fly's in here you can grab it if you are ok for weight on the plane from Fort Francis. When you get back you can drop battery & motor here until the next trip.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:45 PM
Minnow

I will probably book the rental car ASAP, but I’ll try to wait a few more weeks on airline tickets. Air Canada used to have one flight a day from Memphis to Toronto that was convenient, and I can book it for 6/2022, but I have my doubts that they’ll actually resume that flight. I will probably play it safe and book with Delta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2021, 05:55 AM
Wallhanger

1 word BUBBA for all your fillet needs. if you haven't used an electric knife it's time you learned. the bubba cordless with 2 lithium is number 1 for remote areas or anywhere you use a fillet knife. the bubba corded knife is top of the line also for places you have power, but the cordless is what I recommend. if you just want a good old fashioned knife bubba has a 9" that works great on larger fish but still works great on smaller fish as well. the bubba cordless kits come with 2 batteries as well as 4 different blades.

we start planning our next trip as soon as our trip is over.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:11 AM
Minnow

The Bubba is a great knife, but I just could not get used to the trigger on it. I got a Rapala R12 that has the two lithium batteries. I have cleaned a lot of crappie and walleye with it and it has performed well. I will be taking it to Canada next summer.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:31 AM
Keeper

Some times we start planning for next years trip as we are driving for this years trip.... Drive in resorts/lodges have greater capacity which normally does not require as early of a booking as a fly-in trip.

Fly-in, generally a group with reservations this year has 1st opportunity for this lake/time slot when booking for next year. This opportunity usually fades away if they do not re-book as they leave from this years trip. I prefer fishing on opener and I have had to wait several years to schedule a specific lake for this time slot while waiting for the existing group not to re-book.

If you have the luxury of identifying specifics dates in advance then book early as possible. As previously stated May and June are generally the busiest.

For me packing fishing gear is the easiest part of the trip. If you are responsible for food then that is much trickier. The more people generally the harder it becomes. Our party generally has run from 3 to 8 people and I hate planning food for larger groups.......

You are on track with premade meals if you desire more fishing or relaxation time. Depending on the time of year and if you do not have air conditioning then heating up the stove/oven might not be as good of idea as using a outside grill. What ever choice you go meals can be quite simple and fast or time consuming as you desire.

If you are not bringing your own luxury boat then you are right on track with a waterproof bag or stuff sack. I prefer stuff sacks. Yes, as earlier stated you may have to dig a little more. However, most of us have experienced the non-waterproof nature of a item that we purchased which is sold as a waterproof item. I believe the design of of stuff sack lends itself to achieve a greater success in waterproofing as well as greater longevity than a bag style.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:57 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
My point is you can buy a Minnkota and have it dropped shipped to me. Should get free shipping if you use somebody like Reeds. Then when your group fly's in here you can grab it if you are ok for weight on the plane from Fort Francis. When you get back you can drop battery & motor here until the next trip.

Yep,that is how is was figuring too, thinking about the total weight we had left for the float plane which theoretically is 600lbs total for the group and whether or not there would be some margin for a battery and trolling motor. I think there could be, we are never usually at or even close to the weight limits per person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2021, 08:00 PM
Wallhanger

Our next years trip was planned and booked before we left the lodge.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:01 PM
Wallhanger

Default Plan for next year trip?

We set the date for next years trip when paying the bill for the current trip.
I'd make the hotel reservations in December.
The ride home is when we review the menu for next year and come up with items to bring on the next trip.

As my friend has not / will not get the COVID vaccine, I've already reached out to a member of this group about possibly going on their Canadian trip in 2022.

My friend wants to try two trips in 2022. Not sure where in Spring, but we have agreed on say Rainy Lake or Lake of the Woods in late August to early September.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:05 PM
Minnow

In terms of menu items, I love preparing a few meals ahead of time and freezing them to max our time on the water. Here's a simple one that the gang loves. For 6, take a half dozen chicken breasts and a large jar of salsa. Throw them into a crock pot until fork tender and you can shred them with a fork. take 1 cup of any long grain rice you like and cook separately. fold the cooked rice into the cooked breasts as well as a small bag of frozen corn, or any other vegetable(s) you want. If it's a bit dry, add some more salsa to taste.

Freeze the cooled mixture flat in a large ziplock bag. Placing the bag on a cookie sheet in the freezer ensures that it will freeze flat for easy transport. Heat slowly in a large pot (add small amount of water so it won't burn). Some of the guys made monster burritos with them w/ sour cream and lettuce. Others just ate it from a bowl. A one pot, pre-prepared meal that's hearty and easy to make beforehand and re-heat. You can add any side dish you want if that's not enough.