Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Supercharged Yamaha SHO on Ranger 620 VS - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 10-24-2021, 09:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
My car goes to 150 mph, doesn't mean i drive it that fast. I'm thinking of going the flashed route if I get a 200 vmax sho for my rig. The top end is nice but that's not my primary reason for doing it. It's for the increased power throughout the rpm bandwidth and the bump up in normal cruse speed coupled with better fuel economy. Right now my top end with my F150 is around 38mph, running wide open i burn about 15gph. With the 200 flashed to 330 that 38 mph now becomes my cruise speed burning about half that. That's why i want a flash like that. Yes i will open it up on flat calm conditions on ocassion, but it's up to the operator to be responsible and not put someones safety in jeopardy.

I agree 100% with this. This is the exact reason I want to put a 200 sho on the back of my G3 angler. I will also get the 330hp tune if I do it.
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2021, 09:50 AM
Slot Fish

I thins it is awesome, I hope she doesn't grenade but knowing yamahas record it will be fine
Old 10-24-2021, 02:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
I agree 100% with this. This is the exact reason I want to put a 200 sho on the back of my G3 angler. I will also get the 330hp tune if I do it.
so dont you have to burn the gas to get the HP to turn the prop a certain speed to get the boat to a certain speed? so you hit the HP earlier, but doesnt the GPH follow?

.seems like a lot to do about not much unless you want the top end?

Im not mechanically inclined...

does flashing void the warranty?

Last edited by kswalleyer; 10-24-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2021, 03:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
so dont you have to burn the gas to get the HP to turn the prop a certain speed to get the boat to a certain speed? so you hit the HP earlier, but doesnt the GPH follow?

I am not sure on saving GPH. I am not concerned about that either. I have to run my boat with a F150 wot (around 5800-5900 rpms) to hit 47-50mph. I can cruise around 35 at just over half throttle, do about 40 at 3/4 throttle. With a 200 tuned it will probably go over 60 with the correct prop. I could then run at 40-50mph without beating the tar out of the motor. I am absolutely positive that tuning the motor will void warranty. But when you buy the software to flash the ecu yourself you can also flash it back to stock anytime you want. If I repowered I would probably run the motor as is for the first season without the tune just to make sure everything is running as it should and is properly broken in.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
I am not sure on saving GPH. I am not concerned about that either. I have to run my boat with a F150 wot (around 5800-5900 rpms) to hit 47-50mph. I can cruise around 35 at just over half throttle, do about 40 at 3/4 throttle. With a 200 tuned it will probably go over 60 with the correct prop. I could then run at 40-50mph without beating the tar out of the motor. I am absolutely positive that tuning the motor will void warranty. But when you buy the software to flash the ecu yourself you can also flash it back to stock anytime you want. If I repowered I would probably run the motor as is for the first season without the tune just to make sure everything is running as it should and is properly broken in.

I guess Ltrain mentioned GPH. So when it gets flashed it doesnt throw a code later?

Ive always been told these motors arent happy unless they are run WOT so you probs arent beating your motor up? but then again if you can get more out of it without scrambling it..... anyway, lots of fun things to do with these boats.

side story...I have a buddy who was into super charging jet skis...he hit 104 mph in his and in an instant the fiberglass started peelng off the opening of the intake, destabilizing the boat...it crashed...ripped the skin and a bunch of musles out of his legs! how he survived that crash Ill never know...he hasnt done that again!..and he can walk again!

Last edited by kswalleyer; 10-24-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I guess Ltrain mentioned GPH. So when it gets flashed it doesnt throw a code?

Ive always been told these motors arent happy unless they are run WOT so you probs arent beating your motor up? but then again if you can get more out of it without scrambling it..... anyway, lots of fun things to do with these boats.

side story...I have a buddy who was into super charging jet skis...he hit 104 mph in his and in an instant the fiberglass started peelng off the opening of the intake, destabilizing the boat...it crashed...ripped the skin and a bunch of musles out of his legs! how he survived that crash Ill never know...he hasnt done that again!..and he can walk again!

It's funny how they are designed to run wot at max RPM's but none of us would ever buy a boat that had 400hrs on it and 350 of them were at wot. They say they are supposed to be run like that but there aren't many people that do that. I think I run my boat around 4000-4500 rpms most of the time. If I am in a tournament then I run it wide open if conditions allow almost all day in between spots.

My buddy had a Yamaha sidewinder snowmobile and spent 1000's on tuning and performance parts. He could change the tune right on his cell phone or by pushing a button on his handlebar. He ran that sled around 350hp all winter with no motor issues. He knows a guy that ran one on a 300 or 330hp tune for over 12,000 miles without any issues. The chassis on the other hand is certainly the weakest link. He said if you tuned it back to stock you could never tell it was ever tuned.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:11 PM
Wallhanger

Maybe it's old age, I don't know. My need for speed ended with a 200 hp Verado on a 20' fiberglass Lund tiller and a 300 hp Verado on a 20' fiberglass Lund wheel boat. Can't imagine I will ever want or need more HP than that. I will say those Verado's are nice motors.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

As far as how the gph works- right now i have to run 5800rpm, wot to hit 38 mph.
With it flashed, Say i hit 38mph at 3800 rpm, the motor is doing alot less work, so that's alot less gas burned as it's running more efficient.

Flashing could potentially void a warranty if you bring it back in flashed condition. You can reflaah back to stock. The only possible hangup is if the rev limiter is raised from 6000 to 6500 for instance, when they do a printout there would be xxx amount of hours run above 6000 so that would be a red flag. Personally I wouldn't push it past 6k until warranty was up.

For me i think it is definitely worth it to have my top speed become my cruise speed.
Right now i can cruise 30 mph at 4000 rpm, 10gph. If i can cruise at 38 mph at 4000 then i think it's money well spent.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
8 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 10-25-2021, 08:34 PM
Minnow

In response to kswalleyer, the boat handled extremely well and exceeded my expectations. I did expect some chine walking at those speeds which I have experienced in my 2020 620 Pro and 2013 620 VS at 65 to 67 mph. The boat was very stable at it's top end which I believe is due to the combination of the Ranger hull design, the weight of the boat and set up including jack plate and prop. A prop with greater bow lift would likely produce less stability.

In terms of reliability this engine had the supercharger and ECU upgrade three years ago and is one three my dealer has installed at that time none of which have had any issues.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:14 PM
Wallhanger

Terry, I gotta say that looked like a whole boat load of fun. And while I run walleye boats now and am happy with my 58 mph, I used to run bass boats some years back, and the only one of mine that ran that stable above 70 mph was a Stratos 201. Loved that boat. It was truly amazing to see how little input you needed in the steering wheel at that speed. I do hear that some of the new bass boats are stable also, but never expected to see that from a walleye boat. Also for those wondering as to chipping a Yamaha,and warranty, what they look for is a pattern of sustained high rpm's above 6150. My last 250 SHO on a 20 walleye boat would rum 6100, yet when they hooked the laptop I had multiple spikes above 6200. Didn't faze the mechanic one bit. Said that's from running in rough water and prop breaking loose. I now run a 300 Yamaha, and a 325 tune just isn't worth it.