Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
bad day fishing - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
So Mr Seaguar....most go fishing to eleve stress but you go to work . You must be really happy on pay day......
Funny how you say that. I say all the time while we are fishing, I cant wait to get back to work and relax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidfish View Post
x 2 on Juls comment. Have you ever fished in the same boat doing the same as your buddy, and all you get to do is net HIS fish??
Oh, Yes. Been there, got that t-shirt. If it becomes unbearable, I just start knocking the fish off their line with the net
And to the poster, for what it's worth, I've fished that lake a handful of times, with very low to moderate success (open water). It was known as a Crappie lake 10 or 15 yrs ago - not sure of the current status w/ different species populations. I'd probably wait until ice & hit it at night w/glow jigs & pinheads. That 1 Crappie might turn into a few nice ones for dinner...
Old 07-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfieldwalleye View Post
Oh, Yes. Been there, got that t-shirt. If it becomes unbearable, I just start knocking the fish off their line with the net
And to the poster, for what it's worth, I've fished that lake a handful of times, with very low to moderate success (open water). It was known as a Crappie lake 10 or 15 yrs ago - not sure of the current status w/ different species populations. I'd probably wait until ice & hit it at night w/glow jigs & pinheads. That 1 Crappie might turn into a few nice ones for dinner...
Yep. There's an old saying, don't fight the bite. Grab the UL outfit and toss out a micro jig and have some fun.
Sunday my son was in the front of our car topper casting for bass in a little lake you have to carry your boat into. I was in the back with a crappie jig on a beetle spin type spinner. He was getting a few nice bass and I was sitting on a bucket half full of crappies and red ear sunfish plus getting bothered with those stupid bass. Then a big dogfish hit and we chased him around for awhile until he came unhooked (Thankfully). My son relented and switched to his ultralight and we finished filling up the (ice) bucket with crappies and red ears. Never had more fun!

ps: my son caught his biggest crappie to date, too!

Last edited by mudpuppy; 07-28-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Wallhanger

Geez, you describe most of my fishing trips!

Mostly, my error is going during time when it is REALLY hard to catch walleye. Like an entire week at Kabetogama during a big mayfly hatch. Just one 11" for the whole week for two of us! Or today on White Bear - long heat wave, bait fish have grown, bright and sunny, etc., etc.

I now expect NOT to catch fish (walleye), making it so cool when I do. And if I catch something else (today it was bass and northern), that's fun too!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Keeper

Location: Omaha, Ne. - Cabin on Missouri River 7 miles below Pickstown, SD.

I do a lot of fishing on the Missouri River, and use live bait often (mostly crawlers or Minnows)....one thing about a river, usually SOMETHING is biting, might not be walleye, so I take whatever the river is giving that day and learn from it, and like it. A cat, drum, wiper, northern, or a smallmouth all end up on my plate at one point or another and I declare myself blessed.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up No such thing

Work was made for people that don't fish.