Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mercury & Big Tiller handle - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 09-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Keeper

Default Mercury & Big Tiller handle

Have my first Mercury outboard. 50hp tiller Four Stroke. Last two outboards were 50 & 60 HP Yamaha tillers. Wondered if anyone had changed their tiller on a Merc from the standard one to a 'Big Tiller', and, how difficult it was, and, if it was worth the expense. I worked the heck out of the Yamaha's and found them tough as nails. Hope this Mercury will be half as good & reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Slot Fish

Upgraded a 2010 Merc 60 from the standard tiller to the Big Tiller w/ Troll Control. Even with the hefty price I would do it again today, best improvement added to my Pro Guide. Very smooth and convenient operation. Make sure the dealer checks your computor for capability with the troll control. My unit required a software upgrade to recognize the troll controll.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Keeper

Do you remember off hand roughly what the new tiller cost you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Slot Fish

The Big Tiller and Troll Control were a little over $900.00. Rigging was on top of that and this was the first conversion my dealer did so the hourly shop rate was a bit steep. They did give me the full price back on my original tiller for trade so all in all I was and still am happy with the Big Tiller and spent around $1,100.00.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Toland View Post
Have my first Mercury outboard. 50hp tiller Four Stroke. Last two outboards were 50 & 60 HP Yamaha tillers. Wondered if anyone had changed their tiller on a Merc from the standard one to a 'Big Tiller', and, how difficult it was, and, if it was worth the expense. I worked the heck out of the Yamaha's and found them tough as nails. Hope this Mercury will be half as good & reliable.
Dad has replaced his RPM toggle switch twice (2009 Merc 75 HP 4 stroke and Big Tiller) in the last two years and it's failed again (to be replaced). Not sure if it's his or a Big Tiller Handle problem.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG1725 View Post
The Big Tiller and Troll Control were a little over $900.00. Rigging was on top of that and this was the first conversion my dealer did so the hourly shop rate was a bit steep. They did give me the full price back on my original tiller for trade so all in all I was and still am happy with the Big Tiller and spent around $1,100.00.
Well, I've decided to get one - if I can find a dealer to install it. Called two places and so far no one's returned my call for a price.

Thanks kindly for the information.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Slot Fish

Smile

You won't regret it. Good Luck.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I've decided to get one - if I can find a dealer to install it. Called two places and so far no one's returned my call for a price.
Neil, where are you located?

HRG
Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Neil, where are you located?

HRG
Sout east Iowa
Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Sout east Iowa
Uh Oh, SE Iowa not too far from HRG - keep an eye on your boat, you might see some guy out there one day working on your motor! HeHe!