Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Which Smoker to Buy????? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Minnow

Default Which Smoker to Buy?????

Hello everyone, I am looking to purchase a smoker to smoke fish and different cuts of meats. I have looked at the bradley which uses pucks of wood and automatic feeds them in, but I am not complete sold on having to purchase the pucks every time. I want it to be electric. I am wondering which one you would recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Wallhanger

Last fall I bought a green mountain and it is awesome. It is similar to a treager but more technology for less money. The advantages it has is higher temp 500°, digital temp control at 5° increments and internal meat probe that is integrated into the digital display. It isn't cheap but is very well built and should last a very long tine.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Keeper

I'm a new owner of a Bradley (about a month, been smoking every weekend). The pucks don't seem that expensive, and it is very, very troublefree and hands off, if that's what you want.

I may not be a purist when it comes to smokers, but I sure like the idea of not having to tend to it for four or six hours. I'm a fan so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by righty2000 View Post
Hello everyone, I am looking to purchase a smoker to smoke fish and different cuts of meats. I have looked at the bradley which uses pucks of wood and automatic feeds them in, but I am not complete sold on having to purchase the pucks every time. I want it to be electric. I am wondering which one you would recommend.
I have a Bradley

you dont have to use pucks.

I use pellets, and pucks, chips, and chunks.

I only use the pucks when I am leaving it unattended for a while, like a 17 hr brisket smoke.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Default traeger

I will not tell you which is best. I can only say that I have had the Traeger Jr for three years now and am really enjoying it! I have not even started the propane grill in over a year. However, the idea of never checking might be a problem as the pellet supply does need tending.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I have a Cook Shack Smokette, have had it for 3 year could not be happier with the results with this smoker. http://www.cookshack.com/

BOB

Norman Maclean

Last edited by downriverbob; 04-23-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Content
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Minnow

I bought a GMG (green mountain grills)smoker this spring and LOVE IT. Got a real nice stainless gas grill last year and haven't even fired it up this year. Kinda sad. You would not be disappointed in a GMG, after you stomach the price tag.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

We had a Cookshack Smokette, which I really liked but it was destroyed when it a strong wind blew it off my 2nd story deck. When I was looking for a replacement I came across a smoker that mimicked the Cookshack but at a much lower cost; which you can see @ http://www.smokin-it.com/category_s/5.htm

We bought the Model #2 and found it to be built like a brick (you get the idea) and can highly recommend it to anyone who’s looking for an electric smoker that should last forever and a day.

We also purchased their stainless steel cart, which elevates the smoker and makes it a breeze to get thing in and out of the smoker; which you can see @ http://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker_Cart_p/smkrcart.htm

You might also be interested in taking a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4uE8ZIQmhc

Keith

USMC 1967-1971 Once a Marine always a marine.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Wow, no mention of the masterbuilt electric. Bee having a ball with that thing over the last year or so.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Komo View Post
Wow, no mention of the masterbuilt electric. Bee having a ball with that thing over the last year or so.
x2 on this unit easy and nit much baby sitting

Tags
boat , fishing , meat , recipes , smoker