Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Elk R Bugling - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 09-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Wallhanger

Default Elk R Bugling

Love the sound.
The bulls are bugling hot and heavy right now .... in our area.
We can hear them well from our house.... :) Love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Elk R Bugling

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.................

;-)

RANGER

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"! - Edmund Burke

"KEEP YOUR LINES WET, YOUR POWDER DRY and THE BEER COLD"!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Just got back from 10 days in the mountains here in Colorado (I'll upload some pics later or next week)

Bulls were just starting to bugle where I was but they could be going hot 10 miles away, it's hard to tell and they don't all do it at the same time or same place.

Had 3 bulls "working" but I had my two brother in laws from Missouri with me and they had black powder cow tags so I let them blast away before any bulls showed up.

I had one herd close, no more than 30 yards away and I told them to pick a cow and shoot...which they did.

They all ran away ;-)

It's fun to watch but I know it's painful and at one time or another we all get "the fever" but it's sure fun to watch and a guy can get a few days entertainment out of it if he wants to.

Shoot, I got "turkey fever" one time and I'm still trying to make everyone forget that one.

We never put anything down....actually I never had a shot (I'm archery) because I let the guns go first.

I'm headed back up there this weekend to see if they are still around and I'm hoping the bulls are a little more excited this time.

Two of my favorite things to do outdoors.

Walleye and elk.....not necessarily in that order

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I was in New Mexico last week and the bulls were just starting to get going. I was the only one on the hunt without an elk tag so I bear hunted. I did however get lucky enough to stumble on to a chocolate. I heard the group that is hunting the same ranch this week killed a bull on Monday. We knew those guys were in for a good time. That's the story of my life, "you should have been here yesterday or man did it turn on after you left".

Buzz
Old 09-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

I've been wanting to get to New Mexico....they have some HUGE bulls down there!

I'm headed back up this weekend.

When I get back I'll get caught up on the 100's of emails so if anyone is waiting a reply...hang in there.

Scott

https://www.walleyecentral.com/photop...&ppuser=100001
Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Scott,

You're right, New Mexico has some tremendous bulls. Not the numbers as Colorado but it's quality over quantity. We were on a private ranch but most of the elk were still above us on the public land. The problem was that there was too much water. On a dry year, the ranch has the only water around and the elk are down out of the rim country, unfortunately not this year.

I'm off to Ontario this afternoon for moose. I'm taking my oldest son for a high school graduation present. The weather forecast for next week looks great. Cool temps and little wind. Hopefully the weatherman is right for a change. The bulls are already getting active so we may hit it right.

Buzz
Old 09-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Keeper

Hunted the Muzzy season and the only time the Bulls started screaming was during a thunder/hail storm. Go figure. 5 hunters, five empty coolers but still awesome, as the favorite saying at the campfire each night was" I wonder what the rich people were doing today".LOL
Old 09-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm back....sans elk.

We had a good hunt, my brother in laws were able to shoot (miss) and we saw elk so we did OK I guess.

I went back up there this past weekend by myself since I'm the only archery guy in that group and I had 3 bulls bugling out of the back door of my camper Saturday night and one across the road from me.

I woke up early and got in there before daylight and about 1.5 miles from the truck it started raining on me so that pretty much put an end to my hunt for the morning.

It was raining too hard and would wash away any blood trail and I've played that game before and have since decided not to take the shot in the rain again.

So, back to the truck in the rain and then I broke camp and drove around the mountain to the other side so I could come from the top down (which I HATE because everything has to come back up the hill).

Again, I was about a mile from the truck and this time it decided to rain for real, so that put my season to an end.

But, drinking a cold beer in the middle of the mountains by yourself while elk are bugling in the background......it don't get much better that that in my book ;-)

Scott