Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minnesota Wins Border Walleye Challenge! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 05-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Keeper

Default Minnesota Wins Border Walleye Challenge!

Congratulations to the 2010 Border Walleye Challenge Winners Chad Hauger and Shane Spooner on their tournament record setting winning basket of 6 walleyes weighing a total 21.29 pounds. It was a bitter sweet victory for the Watertown South Dakota duo as they nearly won this event in 2007 if it were not for motor trouble causing them to come in late for weigh in. Their largest fish weighed 5.73 pounds helping them net a $3000 dollar first place check. Their fish were caught trolling plugs in the middle to northern end of Big Stone Lake off a combination of #5 and #7 Shad Raps.

Rounding out the top five included 2nd place Rene Marelic and Eric Lee with 14.5 pounds, 3rd place was Jack John Beutler with 14.26 pounds, 4th place was Andy and Kevin Berdan with a weight of 13.75 pounds, and 5th place was Rick Misterek and Jerry Arbach with a weight of 13.43 pounds.

A full field of 125 Anglers from 5 states faced an extremely challenging event with afternoon winds gusting from 25 to 35mph out of the west. Two rainy days with scattered thunder storms hurt the prefishing as many anglers went out on Saturday using just their instincts to formulate a potential winning pattern. Big Stone Lake water temp was in the low 60’s which is about 2 weeks ahead of normal schedule for this time of year. Many anglers reported good fishing reports early in the week only to be dispelled by storms late in the week. Many of the 179 walleyes that were caught and weighed had moved deeper off the first break line out to the middle of the basin of the lake where Big Stone’s walleyes were taking refuge from the area thunderstorms. Shad raps and bottom bouncers with spinners tipped with night crawlers were the answers to these weather weary walleyes. A couple of high placing teams also reported netting a few walleyes off of deeper rock piles with slip bobbers and leeches.

Sixty -seven teams caught fish with an average weight of 2.18 pounds. The top 15 teams split a $11,500 dollar payout. Team Minnesota won the Border Walleye Challenge placing 17 fisherman in the top 15 teams to South Dakota’s 13. The Traveling Trophy is now an even 2 a piece with SD winning the first two years and MN now winning back to back years. A payout of $100 was also given out to each of the highest placing youth fisherman, female participant, and under 100 horsepower motor.

On behalf of the Big Stone Walleye Club, thank you to all fisherman who participated and a very special thank you to all sponsors and the nearly three dozen volunteers who helped put this event on. To view the full results go to www.bigstonewalleyeclub.com
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Keeper

Wink good show

Wow alot of weather in a hurry[4 inches of hale on road by [email protected] johnson road 7:00friday evening on way home

as you know my partner is down with shoulder problems and we could not fish

pleasure to meet artie and hope you can make good use as we decided to let you put our entry fee in the Bigstone Walleye Stocking program

Artie hope you can relax a couple days now and when your up to it call me and help with our American Cancer Society 2010 tournaments[just got 2 more permits Saturday]

Did the team that took our place win anything????

Last edited by PRIMETIME49; 05-02-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: hale
Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Minnow

Just thought i owe a thanks to the Big Stone Walleye Club for putting a great tournement on once again. This was my 1st time ever fishing this particular walleye tournement and i really enjoyed it. Can't wait until next year and thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Vikings Fan

Default Good Job!

Great job Artie, Scott and crew. Well organized and run! A full field on top of that!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Minnow

Default Another well run tournament!

And another fun one! Gotta love that Big Stone weather!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Minnow

Great job Artie, Scott and crew on another well ran tourney, only thing that could have been better for us was the fishing, maybe next year.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Thank you for the compliments. It was the hard work of MANY people that make the tourny what it is today! I would like to thank all the fishermen as well! We are already planning for next years tournament. I hope to see you all again!