Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2015 nwt - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Dead on

Papascott and hnd you are both right. There was a great turnout at Kinzua. The community and locals rolled out the red carpet for us. The tournament was big news there and everyone knew we were in town. Biggest crowd I can remember this year at weigh in.

I hate saying this because I was involved but I thought they dropped the ball on TV coverage. There was great drama for the viewer if they did it right. Look at the weights. One ounce seperated second and third place. One ounce seperated third and fourth place. They definetly could have made it more suspenseful. Did you know that it came down to the last boat weighing in? Did you know that a dead fish penalty cost one team big bucks? Tough decisions were being made in the boats on day two but they chose not to show that. Their game and their arena so they can choose to show whatever they want. But they could have made it more interesting IMHO.

I would go back to Kinzua in a heart beat. Not because we took a third. Because it was absolutely beautiful, the people and community were outstanding and the fishery was good. If you talk to any of the locals you'd hear they expected bigger weights and more fish caught. We just caught it at a bad time. I'd make the 12 hour trip again. It was my first time there and I saw great potential.

And again custom eyes, several of us mentioned sponsors and their products. And we actually showed the correct way to use products. But we can't force them to show that info on TV if they choose not to.
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

I understand what you guys are saying and glad to hear that the local turnout and support at that stop was great, but I still stand behind my statement. That's all good, but it isn't the time and the risk v reward just isn't there. The sport is on life support right now. You have to get back up and stand before you plan new adventures. Seriously, how many new people from PA is the circuit going to see next year? 5 if they're REALLY lucky I'd guess. By hitting popular or big fish waters, the pay off is going to be much better. Once you establish a base again, then you venture off into new territory. Bass fishing gets away with it because they built the following and base first. And yes, TV presentation does work wonders for tough bite tourneys, but we don't have much coverage for walleye tournaments to begin with. Walleye tourneys are on premium channels, as opposed to bass events that are on free channels. I haven't been able to watch a walleye event on TV for 4 years. I don't think walleye fishing benefits much from TV, so presentation there isn't a huge factor IMHO. I think most of the following comes from the internet, especially social media now. If there were 300 locals at the event, that's a pittance compared to the 100's of thousands of people individual anglers and the series can reach with the click of a button. Only if they have something to post though! And that's where it's severely lacking and where big fish, good bite waters can play into that to rebuild the sport quicker with a much better reward. Not to mention that internet and social media promotion is free! Either way, I hope for the best for the sport. I'd like to see it get back to the good ole days, but if not, walleye tournament fishing isn't going anywhere.

Yeah Dennis, they sure do let too much stuff hit the cutting room floor there! I've had product going into the top 10 and even first place on the last day several times with anglers giving a seminar on camera about the technique, but it hits the cutting room floor because the bait wasn't an MWC series sponsor's product, or if it was, it was custom and not a stock scheme. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 10-23-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Keeper

When the PWT Championship was held in Bismarck, they would fill the civic center. The cool part for the fans, and I'm sure it was probably just as cool for the fisherman, was they got their boats towed in the civic center in front of a few thousand people, got to show their boats off, got to show the fish off as they took them out of the live well, it was big time. FLW was a little different as they didn't drive the boats through, but was still a pretty cool stage. Missouri River and oahe is on the rebound and is gonna be stellar. And Sakakawea is getting better and better every year. Are the crowds really as minimal as they appear at some of the places? Every now and again you catch a glimpse on the show and it looks pretty dismal.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
I understand what you guys are saying and glad to hear that the local turnout and support at that stop was great, but I still stand behind my statement. That's all good, but it isn't the time and the risk v reward just isn't there. The sport is on life support right now. You have to get back up and stand before you plan new adventures. Seriously, how many new people from PA is the circuit going to see next year? 5 if they're REALLY lucky I'd guess. By hitting popular or big fish waters, the pay off is going to be much better. Once you establish a base again, then you venture off into new territory. Bass fishing gets away with it because they built the following and base first. And yes, TV presentation does work wonders for tough bite tourneys, but we don't have much coverage for walleye tournaments to begin with. Walleye tourneys are on premium channels, as opposed to bass events that are on free channels. I haven't been able to watch a walleye event on TV for 4 years. I don't think walleye fishing benefits much from TV, so presentation there isn't a huge factor IMHO. I think most of the following comes from the internet, especially social media now. If there were 300 locals at the event, that's a pittance compared to the 100's of thousands of people individual anglers and the series can reach with the click of a button. Only if they have something to post though! And that's where it's severely lacking and where big fish, good bite waters can play into that to rebuild the sport quicker with a much better reward. Not to mention that internet and social media promotion is free! Either way, I hope for the best for the sport. I'd like to see it get back to the good ole days, but if not, walleye tournament fishing isn't going anywhere.

Yeah Dennis, they sure do let too much stuff hit the cutting room floor there! I've had product going into the top 10 and even first place on the last day several times with anglers giving a seminar on camera about the technique, but it hits the cutting room floor because the bait wasn't an MWC series sponsor's product, or if it was, it was custom and not a stock scheme. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

agreed custome eyes on social media/tv platforms.

Bassmaster is on espn but the rest are on the fringe channels the same as the walleye tournies. The 1 hour FLW shows were just perfect time wise. these nwt are way too rushed. the mwc show is better produced time wise but they don't leverage them for online viewing anymore.

You are right, that is the key. I can't imagine the viewership of any fishing tournament is all that high on nbcsports/WFN/Pursuit. in fact I bet its pretty minimal. last years NWT 2013 championship has 5,000 views on youtube. the NWT shows this year only being up a week or so already have around 500-1500 views!

media media media. thatís the key. interviews on how guys caught fish. all that noise is what will grow the tournament scene.

even the smallish bass and catfish tournies locally here put together video montages of their tournaments and results.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papascott View Post
I personally do not see kinzua as a flop by any means. The turn out was on par or even higher than a most of the mwc tournaments this year. It brought in a ton of local anglers. This is something that any circuit, in today's market, needs to survive. If you look at other big tournament attempts on waters that far east I'd say this one was a success on the number of entries alone.
I would have to agree with you that as a tournament it was not a flop. The problem is that it was more or less a stand alone tournament for most of the guys. I counted 46 of the 59 teams that had one or both of the team members from PA, NY, or NJ. So unless the MWC is looking to start a series of tournaments in the northeast I see this tournament doing little for the entry numbers in the future. If they are looking to expand tournaments to the northeast it was probably a good start and it looks like there is some interest.