Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Brand new ordered boat with scratches - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

if you walk into a car lot to buy a new car and you find it has big scratches down one side your not going to buy that car at all. your not going to pay full price for the car after its been repaired. because after a couple of yrs the repair is going to start showing through.

at the very least I would get the owner or gm to come out and look at the boat. then I would have the boat repaired before I took delivery. if you haven't already paid I would ask for a discount on the boat because its not a new boat if its been repaired.

at most I would ask for another boat without being damaged. if you haven't already paid for the boat you can do pretty much what you want. your contract with them is for a new undamaged boat for the price you agreed to.

don't let them off the hook. your paying for a new undamaged boat. make them fix it to your satisfaction before you take the boat. they may agree to repair the boat at a later date. and they may have it repaired then, but it may not be to your satisfaction. then your stuck with it for as long as you own the boat. and if it shows its going to lower any resale value. GET IT FIXED NOW OR DEMAND A NEW BOAT!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Slot Fish

I've had a bunch of things wrong with my new boat. It was a new 13 I got late in 14. Both councils needed parts replaced one had a sun burn the other had a crack,Pedistal seats would not work proper,Kicker out of alignment, steering was loose, wrong type of prop (yamaha motor needed sds prop), and the kicker it had a hole drilled threw the bottom of the hull. Everything is fixed and it should be for what the new boats cost.

Call the dealer and tell them about what you saw and they should have it fixed before you pick it up. It is not a big deal for a good body shop to fix.

You better not pay anything out of pocket it is their problem to fix.

I did complain to the factory warranty department and factory regional rep which did offer me a compensation deal for the hassle
Old 04-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Keeper

Ask the dealer to fix your brand new boat????? Am I missing something? It's new, you paid new price so it better be BRAND NEW! The only thing I would be fixing is fixing to get another Brand New Boat or they can sell it at a used price and refund you the difference....end of story!
Old 04-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleheader View Post
Have them fixed before you take possession. You have the hammer until you write that check. Once paid you're at their mercy.

EXACTLY!!! And you can bet your butt that somewhere in that paperwork you sign at delivery says you have inspected the boat and are satisfied basically.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Keeper

Not attempting to hijack this thread, but I have a similar issue. New boat I ordered arrived at dealer the other day. On my itemized bill of sale I have stated I wanted a black vhf antenna. Dealer said he would see what they could do. No big deal. Also was told it would be mounted on a chrome ratchet style mount. Went and inspected the boat and I find a white antenna mounted to a ram mount angled so that it rubs my rails(at the base) when folded down. The way it rest the tip is well inside the gunnel and could easily be snagged. Not sure what to do. Can't stand the current setup, it's not what I ordered, and now I have holes drilled.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Wallhanger

My best advice is not to sign the final bill of sale till you get what you ordered. And make them fix the holes etc.. you can always walk away, they don't get paid till you accept it.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Keeper

If I buy something new, it will be in new shape or I will not accept it. They should not expect you to either. They can either fix it to new condition and to your satisfaction or replace it. Really the only options if it were me. Let us know and Good luck.
Lowrance Elite 7 & 7X