Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trailer/Boat Width Issue - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 12-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Wallhanger

It works well.cheap fix to the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2020, 06:50 PM
Keeper

Thanks to everyone. This discussion will pay me dividends in a few months, stay safe everyone.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:45 PM
Keeper

I have a Ranger with 102" Wide trailer and back into my third stall which is 106" wide. This is not straight in, since it is the third stall of the Garage. It is tight I take my time and put it away ech time. Yes there are rub marks on the fenders and garage door trim, but it fits.

Just get good at backing up. I consider myself good at backing up a trailer.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:47 AM
Wallhanger

I painted a yellow stripe on the approach to the garage on the drivers side and follow it with the wheel on that side to get the trailer aligned straight. I really can't see into the garage in the daytime but if I'm lined up with that stripe it's straight enough.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pothen View Post
Take a can of blaze orange spray paint. Spray where the trailer tire needs to be and you are set
Trust me, WHITE paint is much better to see and any fluorescent paint will fade pretty fast.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-15-2020, 07:31 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau1219 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a Ranger with a trailer/boat width of 102". My garage door width is 106". The driveway is level and the garage depth is 30'. Is this too tight of an opening to reasonably take a boat in and out of? Theoretically it should fit, however is this practical? Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.
To everyone that responded - a huge thank you! Some great ideas here. But mostly it's the encouragement you guys have given me to make this purchase.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:35 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
This would not help your budget any. How much front walls do you have next to the garage door. Possibility of installing a wider door? If that does not work. I would use one of the trailer dolly systems every time. Just to much risk going in and out a bunch of times using the truck. With an expensive boat and trailer. If you had a 25 year old trailer and boat. Would not be that big a deal if you hit the trailer once in a while. As previous poster mentioned. About not being in a hurry. What are the odds in the next five years you will not be in a hurry. You hurry one time and your trailer will not look the same. Some garages do have a wood trim piece that sticks out. You could maybe remove that to gain a little more space.
I was thinking of removing the 1/2 trim piece that holds the weather stripping to gain another inch.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:15 AM
Wallhanger

Beau1219, I have to back my trailer in at an angle as the driveway entrance off the street is two cars wide but the front of the house is three cars wide. I installed a two foot piece of Gorilla duct tape in the driveway for a guide. I used black so it wasn't so obvious but they do make the tape in different colors including blaze orange, which could be used inside the garage or somewhere where it wouldn't be as obvious, if that's a concern. This tape has been on the driveway in rain and snow with no issues, it's been my experience that it sticks quite well to concrete. May suggest you try the tape as another option versus paint as it's quite easy to replace, remove and/or adjust, can always paint at a later date. You may find out like I have, there is no need to paint.

Good luck and enjoy the new rig.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:30 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the idea.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Wallhanger

Tape spray paint any of those will help you. Also removing part of that molding will give you a little more room