Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you think ice fishing is damaging open water fishing? - Page 8 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2021, 12:11 PM
Minnow

I used to live/fish in SD. Most of the lakes there are stocked although some probably have some spawning. Ice fishing hurts but I would say Facebook hurts more. There was a hot bite on a lake a few years ago. You could get a limit of 21" walleyes in a few hours. Once the word go out that the bite was hot, there would be vehicles/boats from IA, MN, and NE. It was crazy. There was always a GFP guy there checking limits, etc. There was probably some illegal harvesting but not much. I'm guessing a 2500 acre lake having hundreds or maybe even thousands of fish taken out of it every day adds up. I'm sure it would have been the same in winter it just happened that the bite hit during the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2021, 12:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushape View Post
I used to live/fish in SD. Most of the lakes there are stocked although some probably have some spawning. Ice fishing hurts but I would say Facebook hurts more. There was a hot bite on a lake a few years ago. You could get a limit of 21" walleyes in a few hours. Once the word go out that the bite was hot, there would be vehicles/boats from IA, MN, and NE. It was crazy. There was always a GFP guy there checking limits, etc. There was probably some illegal harvesting but not much. I'm guessing a 2500 acre lake having hundreds or maybe even thousands of fish taken out of it every day adds up. I'm sure it would have been the same in winter it just happened that the bite hit during the summer.
I heard guys from MN were even running out and buying $100,000 boats to fish that lake at the time ! Don't they realize that you can buy walleye fillets for $10 bucks a pound ?
Old 08-06-2021, 01:03 PM
Wallhanger

That would probably be about $140 a pound less than Walleye costs me. lol
Old 08-06-2021, 01:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah Eye View Post
That would probably be about $140 a pound less than Walleye costs me. lol
🤣
Old 08-06-2021, 01:49 PM
for profit

Default for profit

That's not the worst of it, then they went out and sold those boats for a profit after using them!