Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much do you pay your pro for a tip in the pwt as an amateur? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

View Poll Results: How much do you pay your pro for a tip in the pwt as an amateur?
Nothing 494 35.14%
$20 99 7.04%
$40 175 12.45%
$60 109 7.75%
More 387 27.52%
Based on how the day went 142 10.10%
Voters: 1406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Default RE: How much do you pay your pro for a tip in the pwt as an amateur?

You are right. The amatures do not get cash on the PWT. But there entry fee's do not go to the pro's purse either. I am sure the entry fees help to run the PWT. But these guys keep saying that the pro's oughta' kiss there feet because the amatures entry fee's are paying the pro purse. And that simply ain't true. I do not want a few of these nay sayers down playing the experience of the PWT to other potential amatures.

So if I am wrong tell me how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 04:55 PM
DriftSock

>You are right. The amatures do not get cash on the PWT. But
>there entry fee's do not go to the pro's purse either. I am
>sure the entry fees help to run the PWT. But these guys keep
>saying that the pro's oughta' kiss there feet because the
>amatures entry fee's are paying the pro purse. And that simply
>ain't true. I do not want a few of these nay sayers down
>playing the experience of the PWT to other potential
>amatures.
>
>So if I am wrong tell me how.

Stacker1,
Since you asked;
First of all, don't you find yourself (and the PWT) to be presumptuous in labeling us Co-Anglers as "Amateurs". I find that disrespectful and demeaning. What makes you think that we're amateurs? I've been fishing for walleyes for over 30 years. Before that as a kid, I grew up fishing for pan fish, bass, and trout. I was a fly fisherman for trout at age 10. All I'm saying is that I'm a student of the game. So, please don't label us Co's as "Amateurs". After all, check the FLW website; I don't see any mention of "Amateurs", only "Co-Anglers". You might as well just call us Drift Socks.
Secondly, I believe that the Co-Angler would appreciate a little incentive of winning prizes or even cash awards. I fished with the PWT Super Pro's; 2 out of 3 of them made many rookie mistakes in my book, (e.g., I overheard my Pro talking to the Lowrance Rep. prior to me jumping in his boat for the day, that he only had 2 or 3 spots that he tried during prefishing; the other one left his crawlers out in the sun (in a pan) for over 30-40 minutes before rigging them on the crawler harness. This same Pro was really only interested in getting off the lake to meet with a local gal at the bar that evening; so he kept stating. Now, for $750 I expected professionalism, but only got rookies.
Thirdly, I don't appreciate your interpretation (or is it "translation") of previous post on this topic when you say and believe, "But these guys keep saying that the pro's oughta' kiss there feet because the amatures entry fee's are paying the pro purse. I do not want a few of these nay sayers down playing the experience of the PWT to other potential amatures." My question to you is "Why not, would you rather deceive them?" I want the "Amateurs" to know what they're really paying for when they enter the PWT events. Is it ONLY for the "experience" with fishing with a PWT-labeled Pro that we Co-Anglers ought to be seeking?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Right on the Money

I couldn't agree more with Driftsock...I too have fished several PWT events both regional and the Superpro. I will never do that again...not on my dime anyway...and then a tip...yeah right. They should treat the so called Amateur with some respect.

The point here is that it is a joke, don't misunderstand me I have been in boats and have learned some things...but for $750.00 only to win nothing and even if you were in the money...what do you get. Also as an Amateur I have been in boat with Pro's that cannot tie there own shoes. I have also witnessed Pro's being totally rude to the Amateur and also cheating being disqualified and then fishing the PWT again. But then again all of us fisherman think we know everything.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:15 PM
brad b unlogged

Driftsock -

First off, I have to question your statement that you "only got rookies". Rookies on the PWT Superpro??? By my recollection, there weren't too many rookies in that group. Perhaps you were simply suggesting that your knowledge of walleye fishing is superior to those you drew as partners for the day? Fishing for walleye for 30 years (just as I have done too) might help us learn how to catch fish, but there is a big difference between decisions on how to catch fish and decisions that lead to tournament winnings.

Secondly, your going to have to take a bigger swing than that to get under Stacker's skin. I've seen some real pro's (in that area) go after him and he comes back smiling most of the time. Stacker is a heck of a nice guy and makes a darn fine twice backed potatoe (that he should really bring a few more of back up to GB next May - *hint*...*hint*).

Back to the PWT SuperPro... I for one would have LOVED to had the chance to fish a PWT Superpro. 3 chances in 50 to fish with Gary Parsons for a day? 3 chances in 50 to fish with Keith K.? I don't see how it could get much better than that. I might try a PWT event as an AMATEUR in the next year or two. I'm a "glass is half full" kind of guy and think it would be a fun thing to do.

As far a providing a tip - I would never leave another person's boat without offering to pay for half the gas if they treated me like royalty or acted like a complete jerk. For me, doing the "right" thing isn't conditional. That said, if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't think any less of someone who didn't offer to split costs with me had we fished in my boat.

I hope your next experience with tournament walleye fishing (if there is one) is a more positive experience.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Quit complaining

I have been fishing since I could remember and I will be the first to admit that I dont know everything. Everyone has a differnt reason to be a co-angler in these tournys. Some want expience some want a taste of the pro life, and some just love to fish. I find it hard to believe that just because you pay to be part of the tournament you think you deserve to be treated to a great day of fishing. Come on guys you cant find a post on this site that doesnt have some kind of complaining. Some is from expiernce but we all know the majority is from the guys that think everyone should baby them. They got them at all the tournaments.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Wazzz

Pwt always used the term amateur. RCL/FLW started the co-angler designation. It appears to be more respectful. There are good and bad in all pro-am tournies both pro's and co's with attitudes. I've been on both sides. It starts with a good positive attitude from both, rested and positive. Clean boat and good gear is a plus but some of the best fisherman are slobs.
The reason tipping became common is that many of these people live from pay day to pay day in order to support their addiction.
I still for the life of me do not understand tipping. If it is something that is expected/required then reduce the pro's entry by 50 bucks and increase the co's entry by $50.
I fished both as a Pro and am/co never felt confortable giving or taking tips. It is especially uncomfortable after a bad experience. Sometimes you want to hug and kiss the guy in the boat with you. Other times you want to throw him overboard. Then you have to tip him. Get real. If you can't afford to tournament fish then don't.
Closed Thread