Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Future Of Tournament Angling - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Slot Fish

Kpkyllo,
You said it perfectly thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Worn out

Hey, knock yourself out with passion thatís fine but when that passion is restricted to one or two tournaments because of expense then you have a problem. To fulfill a full years worth of passion as a pro it will cost $8,000 entry fees, $10,000 of expenditures for gas, lodging, food and four to five weeks of vacation. No on e can do that without personnel wealth, you donít just ďsaveĒ pennies and put them in a bank account. There is a reality if you like it or not, I may have guts and passion but I canít afford the money and I sure donít have four weeks vacation to blow. Saying the thing is too expensive is not bashing a thing, it is reality.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:39 PM
A Veteran Pro

Thumbs up Best Reply Yet IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worn out View Post
Hey, knock yourself out with passion thatís fine but when that passion is restricted to one or two tournaments because of expense then you have a problem. To fulfill a full years worth of passion as a pro it will cost $8,000 entry fees, $10,000 of expenditures for gas, lodging, food and four to five weeks of vacation. No on e can do that without personnel wealth, you donít just ďsaveĒ pennies and put them in a bank account. There is a reality if you like it or not, I may have guts and passion but I canít afford the money and I sure donít have four weeks vacation to blow. Saying the thing is too expensive is not bashing a thing, it is reality.
Your cost estimates may be a tad low, but IMHO you have given the best reply yet. Funny how those who haven't played the game much, (or at al)l and have little, (or no skin) in said game seem to be the ones replying here the most.
One thing for sure. Payouts will have to increase substancially to justify addional sustained participation by newbies. Not to mention ending the heavy attrition in Pro ranks that has so devastated tournament fields the last 5-6 years.
Even if a few new anglers can afford to get started, it is just too expensive for most contestants to last more than 2-4 years before it just simply becomes, "Too expensive" to continue.
Unless that changes don't expect any growth at the upper tier of walleye competition. As "Worn Out" said that is not bashing, that is simply reality. Of all the pros I know that have quit in the last 5-6 years, no one did because they wanted to. A lack of passion is NOT the problem. They quit because financially they had to.
Gary K. may be right. Walleye tournament will continue at the hobbyist, recreational level, but the expense of doing an upper tier walleye circuit is just too great for most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Keeper

IMHO Tournament growth will match the economy, I don't forsee any growth for atleast 4 years.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 620 View Post
IMHO Tournament growth will match the economy, I don't forsee any growth for atleast 4 years.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Worn out

Growth is not the issue right now because the thing is not even stagnant...it is receding. The entire thing has zero value and it is getting worse, people canít afford to jump in, and nobody pays attention.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Minnow

Default Tourneys dead?

I fished PWT pro for 18 years. The industry manufacturers are not getting the ROI the need to continue to support walleye tourneys to the degree they have in the past. The reason is simple: the trend in boat sales is to 18' 150hp
rigs for cottage/fishing use. Most of our wives work and have a lot to say about how money is spent, gone are the days of blowing 20 grand to get your jollies on the random high finish. Most of the top pro's are in their 50's and are thinking about retirement in an ever increasingly volatile business climate.
In the end this will benefit the MWC and well run local events that still offer low entry fees and a decent payout. It will be more about camaraderie and having fun than calling yourself a pro.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Fishin Mathematician.

Default totals

With boat fuel, truck fuel, depreciation boat & truck, lodging and other expenses my grand total in expenses were $15687. My income including sponsorships and winnings $28469. I fished 5 tour level events this season and i wouldn't say my results were great nor did i win a ton of prize money. I did net some cash, but more than that I was able to fish more places and have fun doing it. If you cant run a business, cant negotiate fair deals and have a defeated attitude then I would stay away from this or any competitive business. I also work a normal job have worked to get the flexibility needed to do this. If you can manage multiple priorities, run a business and most importantly find a way to make things work then you could do it. Oh it helps to know how to fish too!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Minnow

Default eyecrosser1

I didn't think my response was directed at you personally nor did I say that zero money is available to be made as a walleye tournament participant. My answer was to the larger question on the future of "Top Level" tournaments and what is causing them to vanish. But in response to your little pep talk concerning my ability to multi-task or my passion: I run and own 3 businesses, I have won 328,000.00 in prize money during my career, I have never lost money in any of the 18 yrs I fished. I'm glad you made money this year...good for you! Fortunately your or my accomplishments don't matter as to the the answer to the question of the future of tournament fishing! Stay on TOPIC.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

eyecrosser, I agree with most of what you've stated, but I would add - the 150 hp 18 foot boat today costs MORE than the 225 hp 20 foot boat of yesterday.

Prices have increased to the point we have now identified how much is too much to sell the top of the line models.

Prices were increasing at a much faster pace than cpi for many years, hopefully that will not continue, or we may see the standard new boat purchase move down another notch, just to stay around the same "price".