Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Aim ???? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Wallhanger

Default Hard to get confident sponsors.....

I have been reading with interest many threads started about tournament circuits and why they either don't do well or why they are no good. Everyone has their opinion and thats great but it seems all we ever hear is the negativity and very little about the good things associated with tournament fishing and venues. If I have to go on and explain this then I'm beating a !!

Many potential sponsors read what is being said and do we really wonder why there are fewer sponsors? All I ever read is bashing of this and that, no one is sticking up, especially the tournament anglers themselves, and do you wonder why, very simple because everytime someone has something constructive to say ten other non registered users shoot them down or bash the circuits.

I for one as a sponsor would not put any of my money into an arena where it is in such turmoil because compared to Bass fishing the walleye side is completely at odds with one another, and if we can't even agree on simple things and SUPPORT ALL TOURNAMENTS not just the ones you are personally associated with in one way or another then we may as well forget it.

I have read guys complaining that tournament anglers take THEIR fish away, really, seriously? Not even going to explain this one besides to say this..... i have to much going on to worry about having to bring fish back and clean them when I can be trying to figure out how to win the tournament. Trust me 90%+ of the fish caught by prefishing anglers go back, how many do non tournament anglers put back? This isn't to start a fight its real, so noi reason to pick this comment apart. The list of complaints goes on and on and as people sit around their computers bored with nothing to do I am sure more new reasons for bashing can be thought up . Sad.....very sad.

I have fished in several of the AIM tournaments and as I sit here and write this I am ashamed and upset with myself for not supporting it earlier and more consistantly, it is (is, not was!) a great circuit and I had a blast fishing it, I will not lie and say it was all peaches and cream dealing with all that fished it because many of them have been fishing professionally for many, many more years than I and quite frankly are probably set in their ways.....with cement. I do feel many potential anglers wanting to give AIM a shot felt "out gunned" by the strong "team" presence, and as an individual I can understand that and as an organization things might need to change to help give confidence to potential new anglers to help grow the fields and interest sponsors, after all the more anglers involved the more sponsors might pay attention.

I remember what one AIM angler told me, he said, "we (AIM) are happy with the 30 or so anglers we have fishing because that is what we wanted." Well, that didn't work, and I don't think the sponsors are "happy" with just those 30 guys and gals. I understand what he meant but ITS NOT WORKING and it would be neat to have a high end circuit that you earn the right to fish it with limited anglers but FIRST you gotta build a BASE!

So basically what I am trying to say without too much rambleing is this.... if we as walleye fishermen cannot stick together and help and support one another in ALL the types and techniques we use

and...........

if we as tournament anglers do nothing to build and support ALL circuits AND venues

and we as tournament anglers don't support local and everyday fishermen

and.......

if everyday fishemen don't support tournament angling

and.......

if circuits don't start working together to organize and they keep their heads in the sand

its done..............................and that is really a shame................
Don Loch #235
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

I have fished in several of the AIM tournaments and as I sit here and write this I am ashamed and upset with myself for not supporting it earlier and more consistantly, it is (is, not was!) a great circuit and I had a blast fishing it, I will not lie and say it was all peaches and cream dealing with all that fished it because many of them have been fishing professionally for many, many more years than I and quite frankly are probably set in their ways.....with cement. I do feel many potential anglers wanting to give AIM a shot felt "out gunned" by the strong "team" presence, and as an individual I can understand that and as an organization things might need to change to help give confidence to potential new anglers to help grow the fields and interest sponsors, after all the more anglers involved the more sponsors might pay attention.

Don I think that paragraph says volumes. I don't fish tournaments so my view is only from the casual guys who read this stuff. Why are teams needed? How can the playing field be level when the owners have put up more money but are still competing against Joe Lunchbox? Where is it written that pro's need to derive 100% of their income from fishing?

The AIM format from what I understand is very well done and thought out. I'm all for preserving the resource anyway possible.

Fishing in my mind is a hobby, not a sport. I think most guys don't wanna fish a big time circuit. There is no need to pay $50,000 to win a contest. Lower the entry, a $20,000 win is more then most guys could ever dream about anyway. The sponsors will go where the fisherman go, the pro's only provide a salesforce for the shows and seminars anyway. Personally I could careless what boat and motor a certain pro ran when he won X tournament on X lake.

I know I don't explain things well but you need look no farther then the MTT in Minnesota to see guys still want to fish and have fun.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 AM
timburr

I agree with Don the bashing makes no sense would you poke shots at your friend if he lost his house to foreclosure its the same concept financial difficulty. I have stated this in a different article that we all need to support fishing If you don't want to fine then keep your mouth shut. I also agree with Don about keeping fish during practice it dont happen very often. Having a tournament on a lake sometimes opens up opportunities for the locals. I took out a local kid in bay de noc last year for 2 days of practice he never really got out of little bay cause he had a smaller boat do i expect a pat on the back for it no i took him out cause he seemed like a good kid. In a sense its not the circuits fault for vanishing its the lack of support from all of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Like a broke record, I will say again, the size of the fan base is the sole attraction to the sponsors or new potential sponsors. NOT the amount of anglers that fish and compete in the event. The bean counters that manage ad dollars look at only one thing hard and a few other smaller factors after the fact--"how many of our targeted consumer base are we reaching and what is the cost for each of the impressions we create by our sponsoring this or that event?" If there was TWO anglers competing or two hundred, it would not play a role with sponosrs involvement if the fan base dictated a good ad dollar investment for this or that potential sponsor.

This onoging business model that is based on "the anglers supporting the circuits" is a failure!! Proof is the history of all of the circuits over the years. Until the "circuits can support the anglers", it ain't ever gonna grow! And the only way the curcuits will support the anglers with real $$ ( like all other successful sports) is to attract sponsors through the creation of bigger a fan base. All this focus on attractiing anglers is a waste of time and money. Start focusing on the fan base. Create a game that attracts interest far beyond the guys that already are fans driving big fast walleye boats that own $200 rods. That group is TOO SMALL, relatively speaking, to attract real $$ via sponsors.

The broken record keeps on and on...LOL and on and on ......
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
[email protected] or 651-270-3383 cell#
Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default Understood....on and on and on.. and on again

Well how can you argue that....2 guys fishing a tournament vs. 200 fishing a tournament...and no difference in "fan base".

I rest my case.............................................. ..........
Don Loch #235
Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAH View Post
Well how can you argue that....2 guys fishing a tournament vs. 200 fishing a tournament...and no difference in "fan base".

I rest my case.............................................. ..........
And "fan base" is NOT anglers competing nor has to be avid anglers or even people that fish. MOST sports fans have no direct or even indirect attachment to the sport they are a fan of. Most fans never played the sport at any level or drove a race car whatever. They don't need to know all the details of how the sport is played either. So--yes...the number of competitors does not attract sponsors. The amount of consumers that have a potential of becoming a customer of the sponsor or potential sponsor is the ONLY that part counts. It takes only two anglers to have a walleye tourney. Or 200 or ??---it makes no differnce if the marketing is designed to create and retain a fan base.
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Keeper

It would be easier to attract a fan base with 6 - 10 participants than 200, but in the end as Steve stated the amount of anglers is not the important factor compared to the structure of the game.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Wallhanger

Default Understood ...... to a point

I do see what you are saying Steve and I do agree that sponsors are in need of a reason to partake in a circuit as a sponsor and they look at what the benefits are, which would be potential sales.....agreed. But I am still certain the more fishermen fishing the better chance at a circuit succeeding and maybe with a more open attitude by more it may even look better for a sponsor to get involved.

Again if I was a potential sponsor and I was constantly reading bad comments about a certain circuit, even if it seemed to be doing well I would still have some reservations about being involved.

Answers would be better than belittling.
Don Loch #235
Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

A good example is Major League Fishing.

They only have 10 anglers each week competing but I am guessing they have a giant audience. what an awsome concept.
NPAA #499
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Almost twice as many people fish in this country than golf, and the level of competitive fishing, including the BASSMASTER, is out rated on ESPN TV by hot dog eating contests, let alone amateur gold events.

Maybe time to "gamble" on changing the way things are produced/marketed to the fans? Anything to lose--based on the subject of this thread? After 28 years of a failed model?
Steve Fellegy #49

Last edited by stevefellegy; 02-03-2013 at 04:27 PM.