Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tournament cheating? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Chode,
Just as a point of information -
Really bad form for a tournament director to be part of a fishing tournament.

Impossible to be 100% impartial if the director is participating in the contest.

REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Unfortunately, some people are so competitive that its a win at all costs mentality. You see it all the time in all sports. I think it goes way beyond just money. Baseball, bicycling, bodybuilding.... You name it, people cheat to win. Recognition, ego, status........ It's like a drug to some people.

Last edited by mudpuppy; 02-10-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Wallhanger

Default Sorry Rew

I gotta disagree with you a little bit on the tournament director not being allowed to fish! I can tell you in our ks. tourneys our directors fish in the tourneys and how can you expect them to do all the thankless work that goes into running our tourneys and not be allowed to fish? I can see it in the bigger money tourneys that make a profit but I for one am very thankful and grateful that these guys and girls put in many many hours and get nothing out of it except the fun of fishing the tourney!
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
Unfortunately, some people are so competitive that its a win at all costs mentality. You see it all the time in all sports. I think it goes way beyond just money. Baseball, bicycling, bodybuilding.... You name it, people cheat to win. Recognition, ego, status........ It's like a drug to some people.
Yep. I agree with this 100% - if someone wants to win bad enough to cheat, there's no way you'll stop them.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chode2235 View Post
Amen to this. I fished my first somewhat competitive league on the St. Croix last year, and the shenanigans got to be too much for me and my buddy.

It's a bit different of a format where it is catch/photo and you turn in your SD card and your measuring board at the end of the night.

The bad thing about this format is that the guy running the league serves as judge and jury. After a few pretty questionable calls, and some pretty flagrant favoritism towards himself and his close buddies enough was enough. Rounding up on their fish, down on other peoples, accusing people of 'taking pictures of the same fish.' Surprise, surprise he and his partner 'won' again, but like 1/2 and inch...

Its a shame, as we were looking for a good excuse to get out fishing during the week and meet a few other guys who like to do the same thing. The cheating by the guy running the league really made the entire experience enraging.

I'm even getting fired up again... gotta
Interesting Chode. I know a couple guys in that league and while I have not heard those concerns from them.

The league I fished in down on Pool 4 was a bit different. We randomly selected partners each month so there was not really a "buddies" only thing going on. This really helped with new members as well as there was no issue with not having anybody to fish with if you don't know anybody. Plus cheating is hard since you just don't know if the guy fishing with you is willing to turn you in or not.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 02-25-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

I've seen enough cheating in local tourneys. The worst I've seen was many years ago when we only had two hours to fish and this killer storm came through and completely stopped all fishing for the remainder of the day. Back at the launch a few very few people had anything but one guy had a limit of huge smallmouths.
I guess its possible but knowing this person raises quite a bit of doubt.

In our local league, on the first night, I hooked a pig of a walleye. When I first saw it I thought it was in the mid teens and decided to not enter it because I asked my partner to break a league rule: I was going to have him net the fish making it ineligible for our tourney. Come to find out she was just short of 30 inches and not the fish I was looking for a mounter. Oh well!
Interestingly, the person that took big fish (and I believe 2nd place) for the year was a young boy with some obvious netting skills.

I sleep well.
Patient and watchful, nor denies
Any by reason of its size.

And I too, on some careless day,
Shall feel the hook I had not guessed;
And shall try to break away,
And go, after brief protest,
Into the basket, with all the rest.

-Robert Bell
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Keeper

Angry yes some cheat/they get caught or talked about for the rest of life/nobody forgets

some best cheats that we have seen are same as mentioned
1.The Fish basket
But the interesting one i caught onto was a 13 yr old fished with his dad until about 9:30 in the morning and than his registered partner showed up and switched out the child.I informed the others involved in the weigh in that the switch was made without a real close watch and to see how they did at weigh in.
At the way in they were not in the top 10 or money but just outside of it.When i asked the child who caught the big walleye they had[4lbs.]he said the registered partner caught it.
I questioned him further out of curiosity and asked where he caught it.
The answer was diamond lake
this tournament was on green

Another winner of this tournament quite a few years earlier was reported to use a fish basket

I kicked 2 teams out for actually fighting in a tournament ,banging boats,hitting with a full swing holding rod tip end and contacting the other boater etc.we did a 200 person involved vote and kicked them out.

the winner of the largest purse tournament ever held here fished in US Fish And Wildlife restricted waters[no motor's],went over a pair of fenced area that was protecting silt from getting in lake as a fishing pier was being erected.
The others in the tournament did not object and none other than myself were aware of this area being off limits.They were all from out of the area.That next week i voiced to tournament heads about this.The next year they made it known that this area is off limits.was that cheating or lack of information as to limit.Do you cross two areas with silt fence go into area marked or what??

The best sporting move I have made was in an alexandria tournament where my partner and myself threw the winning fish back into the water because it was not a mouth hook catch,but late set and snagged
That one hurt but we both feel good about it now.
As far as a team weighing in a limit of smallmouths/we have caught as many as casting time allows in one tournament prefish.I think it was over 40 fish in one hour so that may be possible.

win or lose it is about being accountable in your actions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	20473  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIMETIME49 View Post
the winner of the largest purse tournament ever held here fished in US Fish And Wildlife restricted waters[no motor's],went over a pair of fenced area that was protecting silt from getting in lake as a fishing pier was being erected.
The others in the tournament did not object and none other than myself were aware of this area being off limits.They were all from out of the area.That next week i voiced to tournament heads about this.The next year they made it known that this area is off limits.was that cheating or lack of information as to limit.Do you cross two areas with silt fence go into area marked or what??
IMO, this is not cheating - and here's my reason:

If there was no formal ruling on the boundary limits before the comp was set in motion, and none of those fishing were aware that there was this was an off-limits zone, then it was fair game for this leg of the comp.

After it was established that area was a no-go zone, then any future involvement or fishing in that area would be considered cheating, IMO, so long as all parties involved were aware of the rule adaptation and agreed to it moving forward.

I certainly can't fault the angler that was willing to think outside the box and put his equipment at risk just to access an area that was considered inbounds due to an oversight.

Speaking as someone that's competed in other venues that have involved money/prizes, rules aren't there to tell you what you can do - they're there to tell you what you CAN'T do. It's the ones that spend all that time thinking of other ways to separate themselves and take that gamble in hopes that it pays off, and I've found that for the guys/gals that spend that time it does pay off.

Once again, if they want to cheat they will - you can't stop them. But sometimes it's pretty easy to figure out...
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM
bad mattress

If you are fishing in Michigan and you find yourself in a tourney with cheating, that call it being "Bast Chance Two'd" on the Lake Michigan side, and "Billyjack'd" on the Lake Huron side.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
liver damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad mattress View Post
If you are fishing in Michigan and you find yourself in a tourney with cheating, that call it being "Bast Chance Two'd" on the Lake Michigan side, and "Billyjack'd" on the Lake Huron side.
Sorry, that's * "Best Chance Two'd"