Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
National Walleye Tour 2014 dates - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPAA 899 View Post
June 20th would be a great time of year for a stop at Cleveland or even Geneva. The techniques that time of year are a little different than what we see every year out of Port Clinton.......I think the closest big fish bite at the end of June would be the weather buoy nort of Vermillion which is a long way from Trenton.....Makes my decision of not fishing the NWT next year an easy one tho.....Gonna spend the money on a Canadian fly in instead

That's why you make it MI waters only. Everyone knows where the big fish are in Ohio. Just a matter of who wants to make the run, then throw in the weather........

You can still pull 8#ers in MI and even in the River that time of year, especially with the dominant year class out there right now. Seriously, you wouldn't fish it because you could only pull a 40# limit instead of a 55# limit? I think too many people know the waters of Ohio too well now and think they have an advantage. Take the advantage away and they don't want to fish Erie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Minnow

Default 40 lb bags ???

I will bet you anything that you would not see a 40lb bag out of the river or Michigan waters of Erie in late June . Yes there are a few big fish still around at that time but would take a miracle to catch 5 8 lb plus fish a day . Low 30s is more likely .

I have fished the Erie waters of Mich. my whole life and know this for a fact . Good luck on the 40 lb bags as if anyone can do it for 3 days , they will run away with the tournament .

Dwayne
Old 09-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Easy peasy

Default Makes it interesting

Since when is tournament fishing about dropping people in the middle of the best bite possible? At some point it becomes more luck than skill if the whole lake is on fire. I'd rather see the pros fishing tough bites or odd times of years on known waters. Not sure why the NWT is getting so much heat over maybe having one of the more challenging schedules in recent pro am history.

And I agree with the previous poster. Limit the boundaries accordingly so the best fisherman wins, not the biggest cowboy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
I will bet you anything that you would not see a 40lb bag out of the river or Michigan waters of Erie in late June . Yes there are a few big fish still around at that time but would take a miracle to catch 5 8 lb plus fish a day . Low 30s is more likely .

I have fished the Erie waters of Mich. my whole life and know this for a fact . Good luck on the 40 lb bags as if anyone can do it for 3 days , they will run away with the tournament .

Dwayne
Of course the whole field wouldn't bag a 40, nor would anyone probably for all 3 days, but you'd see a few come in. All depends on the year class out there. Going to be lots of good fish still out there next year. We used to consistently bag 35-40# out in front of Fermi near the MI/OH border until July back around 2002(30+ years on the River and Erie myself). Nearly the same type of class out there now. Nice kicker fish in the river in the summer if you know where to look. Even if it is a low 30's tournament, it sure beats the heck out of 75% of the other possible stops and 5-fish 9# limits!! The River in the spring is getting about just as stale as the Ohio stops.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy peasy View Post
At some point it becomes more luck than skill if the whole lake is on fire. I'd rather see the pros fishing tough bites or odd times of years on known waters.
Multi day events take the "luck" out of it. Sure, you may find the fish with luck, but it takes the skill to stay on them and figure out what they want each day.

John Mickish
NPAA# 379

Last edited by I Walleye; 09-23-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Slot Fish

Good Observation, Good Point
Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Wallhanger

This post is interesting and made me really think thru the issue of locations and dates. At first, I looked at the 2014 NWT schedule and thought that some of the locations were at off "peak" times of the year and that would be bad. Then given some of the comments, I thought why does that even matter? Peak or non peak time, its the same for everyone and the best anglers will still bag the fish. Even at a peak times when most guys can limit, the best anglers will not only limit, but also find the bigger fish. And I do agree that the multi day tourney will help even out the luck factor.

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 09-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Minnow

Thumbs down fun

I can understand a challenge but.. We are fishermen first. We want to go out and catch fish and competitors second. Do you want to sit down and watch a show where there only catch low numbers of small fish?? Pre fishing can get VERY expensive if you have to trailer and then run a long ways to find fish.
I hope the NWT changes the scedule some or I wont be fishing it in 2014.. Unfortunatly Anthony said at the rules meeting that he had the final location locked in that morning and the asterisk was null...
Old 09-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Keeper

Be interesting to know how much consideration was given to the anglers suggestions for 2014 locations.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Putz ND

Default enough already!

Wow, do you guys think any tournament circuit is worth your time? With the overall atmosphere of walleye tournaments right now, we should consider ourselves fortunate to have any venue to compete in. Locations are what they are and dealing with adverse conditions to put a pattern together is what the draw of this competition should be. Besides, the circuit should get better with a year of experience under their belts.

A successful circuit will have clear, concise rules and communication, a high percentage of entry fee payout, and a head official capable of leadership. Elimination of rules meeting surprises and dysfunctional scales is much more critical than dates. Good fisherman put fish in the boat regardless of dates and timing.

Whats with the pissing and moaning around here? Last I checked setting the hook on a fish, any fish, is pretty **** fun.

Sorry for the rant