Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Why pro walleye tournaments suck from a fan's perspective!!! - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 09-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Wallhanger

I do not understand why 620 and the others want to blast someone who is a tournament fan, trying to give his 2 To me is ridiculous considering 620 is a tournament angler and god knows the anglers need to do all they can to help improve or protect the image of our sport.

Walleye fishing is not bass fishing. Its more regional with less anglers so in turn there are less fans. Being a jerk to someone interested helps no one except maybe their egos.

Bassfan, I agree with a lot of what you said. I fish a lot of tournaments and had no idea about the spinnerbaits after day one. I'm from Ohio and when I heard what they were doing I ordered some spinners and tries them locally. So I can see exactly what you mean. Thanks for your thouggts as a fan, usually we hear from pro anglers or retired pros on what's around with the system and your view as a spectator can only help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Wallhanger

Default x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papascott View Post
I do not understand why 620 and the others want to blast someone who is a tournament fan, trying to give his 2 To me is ridiculous considering 620 is a tournament angler and god knows the anglers need to do all they can to help improve or protect the image of our sport.

Walleye fishing is not bass fishing. Its more regional with less anglers so in turn there are less fans. Being a jerk to someone interested helps no one except maybe their egos.

Bassfan, I agree with a lot of what you said. I fish a lot of tournaments and had no idea about the spinnerbaits after day one. I'm from Ohio and when I heard what they were doing I ordered some spinners and tries them locally. So I can see exactly what you mean. Thanks for your thouggts as a fan, usually we hear from pro anglers or retired pros on what's around with the system and your view as a spectator can only help.
He made some valid points1
Old 09-29-2013, 12:58 PM
bassfan256

Question how to make it better?

Bottom line how do we make it better?????

As a walleye fan (on the fence) I would follow walleye tournaments more if at end of live streaming weigh in when handed the trophy they took five minutes with winning pro and had him break down how he did it (depth, structure, lure, line, rod, trolling speed) or keys to his sucess, he shouldnt be able to walk away with the trophy with out breaking it down. It would be even better if they did it with all of the top five pros. Or when they write articles on the tournament results write a small paragraph on winning presentation. I'm sure alot of the pros would even appreciate this to help them do better at the next big tournament.

any other thoughts on how to make it better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Lay off

There is nothing anyone can do to make it better. The heyday of top walleye tournaments were in the 80's and 90's...it has jumped the shark and will not return back to those days. There was a reason it succeeded back then (if you want to call it that) and those dynamics do not exist today.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Toadster

The "Pro" has evolved from a teacher into a mouthpiece of his boat, motor, wrap and shirt he is wearing. Watching interviews of the NWT were nothing more than TV commercials. Hard to learn watching infomercials.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
The "Pro" has evolved from a teacher into a mouthpiece of his boat, motor, wrap and shirt he is wearing. Watching interviews of the NWT were nothing more than TV commercials. Hard to learn watching infomercials.
this is pretty much every kind of fishing tournament.

tell people how you catch fish "GAHH!!! ALL THEY ARE DOING IS PROMOTING THE PRODUCTS THEY USE ITS LIKE A COMMERCIAL!!!"

don't say anyting "GAAAH! THEY WONT GIVE US TIPS AND TRICKS!!"""

its a lose-lose.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Keeper

the info is out there, you just have to look! or ask the anglers at events or shows!

http://youtu.be/aS2kKOmybnM

Last edited by headcheese; 09-29-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Lay off

Pretty sure that is the point, someone should not have to go on a scavenger hunt to find information. The pros are too busy with each other and families during events and they are at shows to promote particular products. No one covers the events because there is not the interest there used to be, it is a dead sport.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay off View Post
Pretty sure that is the point, someone should not have to go on a scavenger hunt to find information. The pros are too busy with each other and families during events and they are at shows to promote particular products. No one covers the events because there is not the interest there used to be, it is a dead sport.
why? they work hard to find the fish. what's a little work on your part to find information?

some guys do seminars. i saw a well known pro at a booth at the st paul ice show last year and asked him how did you catch them at red wing? we stood and talked for 10-15 minutes about techniques and what was working!

i fail to see how any info is being with held from anybody. the NWT could maybe do a better job at marketing it but it was their first year! give it some time. it isn't entirely the circuits fault for lack of interest. another waah walleye tournaments suck thread doesn't help anything.

Last edited by headcheese; 09-29-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Lay off

Again, you are making people go on a scavenger hunt which is not good for a sport that relies 100% on retail sales. What doesn't help even more is ignoring problems that has caused the lack of interest.