Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Why pro walleye tournaments suck from a fan's perspective!!! - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Custom Eyes Custom Eyes is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NE Michigan
Posts: 7,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheese View Post
why? they work hard to find the fish. what's a little work on your part to find information?

some guys do seminars. i saw a well known pro at a booth at the st paul ice show last year and asked him how did you catch them at red wing? we stood and talked for 10-15 minutes about techniques and what was working!

i fail to see how any info is being with held from anybody. the NWT could maybe do a better job at marketing it but it was their first year! give it some time. it isn't entirely the circuits fault for lack of interest. another waah walleye tournaments suck thread doesn't help anything.
Because at a tournament setting(as a "pro"), you're not only there to compete, but also to promote the sport along with the tournament series, and give the fans more to walk away with than just a show of people walking across a stage weighing fish. It's in the angler's, tournament's, and sponsors best interest both present and more importantly the FUTURE. Too much IDGAF for real, and too many people trying to make a side career off You Tube and other media types and leaving the core of the sport and what got them to that position to rot and fend for itself with this holier than thou you can come to me to find out attitude. Just like the OP, I've tried to get my kids to watch a live weigh-in or a walleye tournament on TV. They're response .......... BORING. They have no problem watching most of the bass coverage though. And as a result, what do you think the kids ask me to take them fishing for? BASS!! And what lures do they ask me to find for them or ask an opinion on? Bass lures they see used on TV that won tournaments. And not some secret lure that the angler can't tell you about until you watch episode 3 of their TV series next year, or wait until the manufacturer discloses that secret bait next spring(he, hem Berkley lol). I'm not selling my walleye gear, but it does lead my wallet in the direction of bass tackle to satisfy the kids and keep them interested in fishing overall. I'm not going to shove a certain species down their throat because the people associated with it can't compete to get their attention.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 09-29-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Lay off
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Because at a tournament setting(as a "pro"), you're not only there to compete, but also to promote the sport along with the tournament series, and give the fans more to walk away with than just a show of people walking across a stage weighing fish. It's in the angler's, tournament's, and sponsors best interest both present and more importantly the FUTURE. Too much IDGAF for real, and too many people trying to make a side career off You Tube and other media types and leaving the core of the sport and what got them to that position to rot and fend for itself with this holier than thou you can come to me to find out attitude. Just like the OP, I've tried to get my kids to watch a live weigh-in or a walleye tournament on TV. They're response .......... BORING. They have no problem watching most of the bass coverage though. And as a result, what do you think the kids ask me to take them fishing for? BASS!! And what lures do they ask me to find for them or ask an opinion on? Bass lures they see used on TV that won tournaments. And not some secret lure that the angler can't tell you about until you watch episode 3 of their TV series next year, or wait until the manufacturer discloses that secret bait next spring(he, hem Berkley lol). I'm not selling my walleye gear, but it does lead my wallet in the direction of bass tackle to satisfy the kids and keep them interested in fishing overall. I'm not going to shove a certain species down their throat because the people associated with it can't compete to get their attention.
Two thumbs up along with eight fingers and ten toes! Very well put!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 AM
rivrtroller's Avatar
rivrtroller rivrtroller is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Elgin Il.
Posts: 124
Default

DITTO !
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 AM
stacker2 stacker2 is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 252
Default

Troy, what did you say to get these guys to go hog wild on ur arse? Were they just squashing ur
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 AM
jet man jet man is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: monticello, minnesota.
Posts: 2,014
Default WC Dead thread and this tie together

I still think this applies:

But it appears to me the "walleye world" doesn't really care or the portion that does it too small to support the "big ideas".
__________________
Bill Sloneker
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Chad's Avatar
Chad Chad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Fargo, ND, USA.
Posts: 3,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfan256 View Post
Bottom line how do we make it better?????


As a walleye fan (on the fence) I would follow walleye tournaments more if at end of live streaming weigh in when handed the trophy they took five minutes with winning pro and had him break down how he did it (depth, structure, lure, line, rod, trolling speed) or keys to his sucess, he shouldnt be able to walk away with the trophy with out breaking it down. It would be even better if they did it with all of the top five pros. Or when they write articles on the tournament results write a small paragraph on winning presentation. I'm sure alot of the pros would even appreciate this to help them do better at the next big tournament.

any other thoughts on how to make it better?
Nobody is really writing an in depth article after tournaments on the walleye side anymore.
Why...it must mean that there isnt enough money in it. Not enough advertiser $$ to support a magazine.

I think things have shifted a little bit the past few years. Instead of sharing their info on a website more anglers are taking to FaceBook to share their tournament tactics, secrets. Lots of pros are posting tourney wrap ups or even videos sharing what they did.

If you are not one of their FB followers, fans, friends, etc... you would not know about this activity.

Not saying if this is a solution, better or worse thatn before but it is an explanation as to where some of the content has shifted to.
__________________
Chad Maloy
NPAA #499

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-30-2013, 02:01 PM
MT Walleye MT Walleye is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Montana
Posts: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Nobody is really writing an in depth article after tournaments on the walleye side anymore.
Why...it must mean that there isnt enough money in it. Not enough advertiser $$ to support a magazine.

I think things have shifted a little bit the past few years. Instead of sharing their info on a website more anglers are taking to FaceBook to share their tournament tactics, secrets. Lots of pros are posting tourney wrap ups or even videos sharing what they did.

If you are not one of their FB followers, fans, friends, etc... you would not know about this activity.

Not saying if this is a solution, better or worse thatn before but it is an explanation as to where some of the content has shifted to.
I have followed one of the pros on FB and I have never seen him post about what his tactics are, what he was using or depth or anything like that. His FB is more promos for equipment and just funny everyday things, shot outs, thank you's, and pictures. I follow him because he seemed to be a stand up good guy and interesting to me. He does give lots of info when he is featured in a magazine. Maybe I need to follow some other pro to see what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM
stacker2 stacker2 is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 252
Default

What's wrong in PRO walleye tournaments may never be able to be fixed. Play the game the way it is or don't. Heck of a lot more have decided that "Don't" is what they will do instead of playing.

Last edited by Juls; 10-01-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Quoted post was removed, so your quote had to be too
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-30-2013, 02:21 PM
headcheese's Avatar
headcheese headcheese is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: prescott, wi
Posts: 456
Default

i see your guys points. i was just defending tournaments because i like them and am still a fan. i see that there are a few flaws. but times have changed and things probably won't go back to how it used to be.

hopefully the tv coverage that is airing soon will be decent!! http://www.nationalwalleyetour.com/t...o/tv-schedule/

the current state is better than the alternative (no tournaments). so if the few fans that are left don't support them then what's left?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Custom Eyes Custom Eyes is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NE Michigan
Posts: 7,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheese View Post
i see your guys points. i was just defending tournaments because i like them and am still a fan. i see that there are a few flaws. but times have changed and things probably won't go back to how it used to be.

hopefully the tv coverage that is airing soon will be decent!! http://www.nationalwalleyetour.com/t...o/tv-schedule/

the current state is better than the alternative (no tournaments). so if the few fans that are left don't support them then what's left?
That's what's sad about the state now. Seems most have relegated walleye tournament fishing as a thing that's dying and soon to be a thing of the past. No real concerted effort to build a future, or even make much of an effort to keep the fans that are left. The fans and anglers that do care are bashed, belittled, and berated for questioning the status quo, or wanting to see more and a future for the sport. And the tired excuse of be happy for what we've got left. That's surely no way to gain an audience or future anglers. And Facebook and Youtube videos aren't the future for the sport, tournaments, or even the anglers themselves. It's a rotting dead end. What many fail to realize is that the following they have there is generated by the tournament crowd. Without tournaments, you all will slowly cease to exist for the most part, and your internet audience will also. With very very few exceptions, all the current and past fishing show personalities we grew up with got their start and recognition in the tournament scene. Take the tournaments away because of lack of interest and there is no real future for walleye fishing as a money generating sport. It's in everyone's best interest for both the tournament directors and anglers together to make the events as exciting and informative as possible. There's little doubt it's what the public wants. The problem is, it seems to be falling on deaf ears and the problem is actually getting worse year after year. A minute or two or so of talking on stage in detail isn't going to kill any anglers, their Youtube hits, or harm the tournament. Trust me. Standing in the crowd, a 3 hour weigh-in of just weigh, weigh, weigh, seems much much longer than a 4 hour weigh-in with interviews and details.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.