Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
AIM™ Announces AIM Weekend Walleye Series - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet man View Post
What is the point of of conjecture on this; let it play out and if the system they use is not strong enough time will tell. In the meantime be thankful they are attempting to offer another opportunity to tourney anglers who prefer a team format.
I attended enough of their events to know how their system works. I like it, and have no complaints.

They said it's been "refined". I simply asked how it's been refined to work in a team format.

I'm all for more opportunities out there. But, they have to draw anglers in. Answering that question just might help them do that.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who had that thought when they read this announcement...or, maybe I was?
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Bill, I thought it was a fair question.

Who is going to keep the foxes out of the hen house with money involved?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Wallhanger

Default Every team event

May be a fair question but give a little time is all am saying.
As far as I am concerned there are very few team events that do not have opportunities to cheat. Example being the no cull rule that exists on so many lakes where current "live weigh in" team tournaments are held.
If you think every angler follows that rule then you have to believe they will all follow the CRR rules.
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Keeper

Anyone here who has fished AIM think the system can be cheated? I don't. Walleyes are like snow flakes. Especially when they are close ups on a bump board. We've all seen guys post the same fish in different poses on fishing sites and forums and seen them busted. Now imagine how easy it is to pick them apart in this format.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I could get three different photos with the same fish. Original shot. Ruff it up a bit. Also different angles or distances come into play. Easy to cheat.....very difficult to dispute. Especially when you are reviewing hundreds of fish for a veiw-in.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAZ View Post
I could get three different photos with the same fish. Original shot. Ruff it up a bit. Also different angles or distances come into play. Easy to cheat.....very difficult to dispute. Especially when you are reviewing hundreds of fish for a veiw-in.
Have you fished AIM ? Also the only fish on the card they are going to scrutinize to see if a duplicate are the ones the same length or .25" either way. I doubt you could fool anyone here. The pics are directly above with the nose touching the bump and the tail extended to the longest point. So different angles and or distances don't make any sense.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

No never fished one. Hope they get it right. Excellent way to preserve the resource and catch many fish. Being in the security business I'm always leary.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet man View Post
May be a fair question but give a little time is all am saying.
As far as I am concerned there are very few team events that do not have opportunities to cheat. Example being the no cull rule that exists on so many lakes where current "live weigh in" team tournaments are held.
If you think every angler follows that rule then you have to believe they will all follow the CRR rules.
x2 on both of your post Bill!

They just announced the new format and we already have skeptics. I guess then, some would be skeptical of any team format where money is involved. Do the other circuits like MWC have observers in the boat, don't think so.

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 11-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

You are correct............you will have skeptics any time money is involved.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
And we have refined our CRR process to the point where we are comfortable bringing this format to team style tournaments.”

The AIM Weekend Walleye Series will feature low entry fees and lucrative payouts with fair competition for all contestants.

Can you describe how this process has been refined to the point of not needing an observer/co angler in the boat to keep things honest?

Don't get me wrong....I like the CRR format. I'm all for keeping the walleye swimming in the lakes and rivers....truly!

I'm just skeptical that it can't be done "fairly" in a team format when prize money is on the line.

While I like to believe that most men are honest, I also know there are some who will do anything to win that payout and title.

How will AIM's format keep this from happening in a team event? Or, are you just hoping that everyone will play by the rules? Which really shouldn't be a lot to ask, but unfortunately, we know it happens.

I'm not AIM, and can't speak for them, but I've been thinking for a long time about how/if we could have a Team CRR format tournament - and I've arrived at the decision that I believe I can run one, and we announced our first one this year - that will happen next year. As of last night, that has now grown to 2 CRR 2014 Team tournaments (Not AIM tournamnets, FM Walleyes Tournaments).

The key to me is - we will have on the water boat patrols, and we will board boats. Plain and simply - if there is a fish in the livewell - the team is DQ'd.

My biggest concern is a no-nonsence method that will have to be part of the event, and managing mistakes by contestants.
  • If the photo does not show the measurement clearly for verification - it does not count and will be a 0 on the score card
  • If the contestant measures a fish and it hits the 17.5" line, and they write 17.5" on the score card - not 17.75" as it should be (the length is always the .25" more than the last line it touched) then the fish counts as 17.5" - as written and submitted on the score card.
  • All fish measured must be oriented the same way - if you choose head on the left, and belly toward the camera - they all have to be measured that way - or no score.

Contestants will make mistakes, that will result in their weight being lower than it should be, and it's my view the tournament official is not there to correct the contestants errors. It will be learning, and I'm most concerned about that learning curve, and making it as short as possible for our contestants.

Would be interested in hearing what your concerns are - how will the dishonest person cheat and get away with it? On the water patrols, boarding boats, it the key to me. The larger your boundaries, the more on the water patrols you need.

Other than that - I feel I can run a CRR Tournament on less volunteers than a Catch and release tournament - way less staff required, but the skills will be different too.

I wish Eye-Fi Cards worked better, they would really make it convenient to transfer data without having to touch keyboards. But that technology is not there yet.

One day dream I had - if the tournament was where there is solid cell service - have the pictures of fish caught uploaded to our club's facebook page during the tournament. At the end of the day - the score card from posting would be a confirmation bump off the score card handed in. Tail piping would be severe though. Could be a made for TV series scrappy event....

Fished Lundmania for several years, was close to the AYA International Championship for several years - I've gotten to the point I'm comfortable with CRR team format, without an observer.