Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2015 nwt - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 09-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Minnow

Anyone know when they plan to release the 2015 schedule or when they released the 13/14?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Scully View Post
If good or challenging fishing were the only concern it would be easy to go somewhere new for every tournament. The problem is that in order for a tournament series to survive they need to make money. A lot of the money it seems right now comes from sponsors. One of those sponsors is the city hosting the tournament. Not all cities see the value in bringing a tournament to town so that eliminates some waters. Next in order to keep other sponsors you need anglers and fans. A tournament series has a hard time taking a chance on new waters when they know they can go to Erie or Green bay and have 100 - 150 boats. Too many 50 boat tournaments and the sponsors start to find other places to spend their money.

I don't think there is anyone involved with tournaments that wouldn't like to be back a few years ago when they fields were full and sponsors were plentiful. Everyone is trying to make the best of what there is now and hope that the days get better not worse.
And look what's happening to the MWC as they're exploring new waters. Dismal at best results. Nobody wants to fish in, sponsor, or follow a tournament where you have dozens of zeros and the few limits are barely 10 or 12 pounds of overgrown perch. No excitement or future there. The anglers want to catch big fish and limits, the sponsors want their products associated with catching big fish and limits, and the spectators want to see big fish and limits. What can someone like Rapala or whoever do with a picture of their product with one or two fish barely bigger than the lure?

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 09-22-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Keeper

Spring GreenBay, other places ,championship bays de noc
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Wallhanger

Pool 4 end of April
Green Bay end of May
Lake Superior from Duluth to Ashland area in July
For the championship the top 40 from previous season get to vote on a choice between 3 locations.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:49 PM
timburr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubr0401 View Post
Anyone know when they plan to release the 2015 schedule or when they released the 13/14?
this is my good guess for the 2015 nwt schedule red wing in may leech lake june sturgeon bay july and devils lake championship
Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Slot Fish

april- detroit river
may-greenbay
june -ft peck
sept-pool 4
oct-huron
jm2c
kp
Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papascott View Post
Either March on spring valley or Detroit early April, I'd love to see a river only tournament in Detroit. Gotta have a river tournament in the schedule and Spin Valley is different with it being almost all sauger, Detroit river because it's amazing fishery.

Erie (huron or west) in may or october, HUGE FISH

not sure but a lake out west somewhere would be cool, give something from a river a great lake and a western impoundment.

This would include about any style of fishing imaginable from jigging and handline to trolling and others.
I'm glad Detroit isn't river only. I am usually there fishing with my wife that weekend and it's nice all the tournament boats are out on Erie
Old 10-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Scully View Post
If good or challenging fishing were the only concern it would be easy to go somewhere new for every tournament. The problem is that in order for a tournament series to survive they need to make money. A lot of the money it seems right now comes from sponsors. One of those sponsors is the city hosting the tournament. Not all cities see the value in bringing a tournament to town so that eliminates some waters. Next in order to keep other sponsors you need anglers and fans. A tournament series has a hard time taking a chance on new waters when they know they can go to Erie or Green bay and have 100 - 150 boats. Too many 50 boat tournaments and the sponsors start to find other places to spend their money.

I don't think there is anyone involved with tournaments that wouldn't like to be back a few years ago when they fields were full and sponsors were plentiful. Everyone is trying to make the best of what there is now and hope that the days get better not worse.

VERY true!
NPAA #950
Fish On!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:34 AM
mwcfisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
And look what's happening to the MWC as they're exploring new waters. Dismal at best results. Nobody wants to fish in, sponsor, or follow a tournament where you have dozens of zeros and the few limits are barely 10 or 12 pounds of overgrown perch. No excitement or future there. The anglers want to catch big fish and limits, the sponsors want their products associated with catching big fish and limits, and the spectators want to see big fish and limits. What can someone like Rapala or whoever do with a picture of their product with one or two fish barely bigger than the lure?
That's not necessarily the case. Sponsors already sell their products at the "big fish" places that everyone knows about and goes to. They want to expand to new markets. Not just re-advertise at their old ones. The owner of the MWC did a presentation at the DL championship and spoke about this very same thing. Rather than running a few big tourneys at the same old spots, their sponsors would much rather have more smaller tourneys and that hit new markets and show what their products can do in these new areas. Seems to me the only people who keep saying the MWC is dead are the ones who don't fish it anyway.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Wallhanger

I certainly enjoyed watching anglers dissect my home waters here on the lower pools. I think they are often overlooked by tournaments but wide slot limits deter tournaments from coming it seems. thatís why I think LOTW and the teen pools are sometimes skipped over. putting a 26" fish back in the water can get frustrating. I do know that the handful of years flw came to pool's 14-17 the fishing wasn't on fire and it really tested the anglers. on one hand that would seem like what you would want. on the other hand, people want to see 5 day 40lb totals too.

I would like to see pool 4, erie, devils and the championship at leech