Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
My stance on the Devils Lake 281 - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Keeper

TAH, I'm confused, if it was so 'morally wrong' to fish there day 1, why was it ok when you went there day 2 (especially without prefishing there)? NWT never said that area was off limits on day one. It was said that if you cross 281, you could face a large fine. Basically cross at your own risk. Once it was done, and unless NWT said that area was off limits and if you cross you will be DQ'd, I don't see a problem with anglers fishing there.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous that someone would dig a trench like that. Devils Lake is a huge body of water with LOTS of big fish, if you can't find them anywhere else, maybe you shouldn't be at the championship in the first place.

Last edited by go ranger; 09-21-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by go ranger View Post
TAH, I'm confused, if it was so 'morally wrong' to fish there day 1, why was it ok when you went there day 2 (especially without prefishing there)? NWT never said that area was off limits on day one. It was said that if you cross 281, you could face a large fine. Basically cross at your own risk. Once it was done, and unless NWT said that area was off limits and if you cross you will be DQ'd, I don't see a problem with anglers fishing there.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous that someone would dig a trench like that. Devils Lake is a huge body of water with LOTS of big fish, if you can't find them anywhere else, maybe you shouldn't be at the championship in the first place.
I'd kinda have to agree. Anyone that fished there after day 1 totally compromised their morals and put $$$ over them. I sure don't buy the "show them" story. Well maybe. If so, I'll go back to my first point, $$$ over morals!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 PM
Wallhanger

Default Oh Boy, here we go

I will do my best at trying to unconfused you the best that this Pollock can do.........

Quote:
TAH, I'm confused, if it was so 'morally wrong' to fish there day 1, why was it ok when you went there day 2 (especially without prefishing there)?
At the meeting the nite BEFORE the tourney we were told we would be subject to a large fine, $10,000.00 one. We were told that the Fish and Game or Sheriffs Dept. called and said they would fine whoever crossed the road. If you were at the meeting you would know there was a huge round of applause about it so this meant most agreed. Now this is where it gets interesting, please pay attention, after the meeting some individuals called to check on the fine thingy (or at least they said they did??) They found out, or said they found out nobody called the NWT and said there would be fines handed out. This means SOMEONE impersonated a State Official when they called the NWT.

Now because we were all, at least some of us were under the assumption that we would get a fine we did not go, WHY?????? Because if someone says you will get a fine if you do something YOU DON'T DO IT!! That is common sense we figured out all on our own.

Quote:
why was it ok when you went there day 2 (especially without prefishing there)?
This was the simplest question to answer.
1st. I had crap for weight and had no chance to go anywhere as far as a check.
2nd If you are referring to "why did I go there when I didn't prefish there" because you feel I may have treaded on someone elses area they were fishing? Well according to EVERYONE fishing the tourney NOONE fished it and that was confirmed by phone calls NWT made to individuals that were seen in the area on day 1. So if NOONE fished it day one then it was open for all to fish like it was the first day. If someone said they had fished it day one I would have stayed out but no one said they did and the ones that did didn't have the "stones" to fess up.

Quote:
NWT never said that area was off limits on day one. It was said that if you cross 281, you could face a large fine.
Again common sense, "don't do it or you get a fine" daaaaaaaaaa! It means don't do it..............

Quote:
Once it was done, and unless NWT said that area was off limits and if you cross you will be DQ'd, I don't see a problem with anglers fishing there

ABSALUTELY AGREE!!!!!!! BUT that's not what happened......... Only on day two were we given permission by the NWT, Sheriff and Fish And Game Dept. and that is why 20 plus anglers went and had a ball fishing...............

Now for Custom Eyes

Now I am confused..........

Quote:
I'd kinda have to agree. Anyone that fished there after day 1 totally compromised their morals and put $$$ over them. I sure don't buy the "show them" story. Well maybe. If so, I'll go back to my first point, $$$ over morals!
Please explain since I had no chance at $$$$$$$ ????? It was a legal are to fish and NOONE fished it day 1......................

Sorry it took so long I had to get to a computer, or if I used my phone again it might have overheated!! LOL!!
Don Loch #235
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default All most forgot

....... and 50% German, I guess that also helps explain why I went too............................................... ...........
Don Loch #235
Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Keeper

What is to be confused about. If u have ever been to dl you would understand. The water dropped the area hadn't had a boat in it all summer. Nwt says go for it day two. What would u do. I would fish it. Imo where this thing went wrong is the spot should of been identified as off limits period. The fine thing is bs as we all have fished on the other side of 281, we have all went through areas that have been dredged ex. Speaking of dredged at least this guy could of dug out the access at Pelican so I don't have to far to go to the cut
Old 09-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Keeper

That's the thing, it wasn't "off limits" for any day. If someone took the time to find out how a fine can get handed out for crossing 281 (and subsequently find out they can't get fined for it, so they did cross the first day), more power to them. When they said possible fine, the first question I had was for what? There has to be a law broken in order to get a fine, and no law I know of prevents someone from using a public body of water in that manner. If Joe Blow shows up to Devils Lake on Tuesday and ends up going across, how is he supposed to know he "shouldn't" have crossed it? Should he get a huge fine too?

Again, I go back to NWT not saying it was off limits. In hindsight, yes they should have said it's off limits and we wouldn't be having this discussion. But they didn't, so IMO that area is fair game. And yes short, I agree on the Pelican thing...someone go dredge that out
Old 09-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Wallhanger

Default I feel the need to get back on track

Quote:
AS FAR AS THE GUYS GOING AND FISHING THIS AREA WHEN WE WERE TOLD THAT WE SHOULDNT AND WE COULD HAVE GOTTEN FINED IF DONE SO........ I feel you took advantage of those of us that have ethics and morals who knew it was wrong to enter an area that was illegally trenched to get to. I feel you should have been DQ'd and at least you should be ashamed of slithering into the area like a coward. I have no respect for you and I know without a doubt one of you that did and I heard several also went, SHAME ON YOU!!
I stated this in my original post and since then I have had many and I mean MANY conversations about it, both positive and negative. I just received one and after about 20 minutes of "discussion" I went to the bar next door and did some "soul searching" of my own. I thought about why I said it and I came to one conclusion and that is I was mad as heck about the whole situation and I wanted to blame someone. As I thought about it I came to the conclusion I was blaming the wrong person, yes we had differences out there on day 2 but it wasn't really out of the norm when tournament fishing. I can be a hard headed SOB but taking it out on someone that just plain and simply out foxed the rest of us is totally unfair!

This is a public apology, I will not say who, its no one 's business, you out foxed 76 other guys and we play that game every day of prefishing so whats the difference come "game day"? If we all did our homework that nite as well as you there would probably have been 40 more boats in there day 1. Congrats!!
Don Loch #235
Old 09-22-2015, 04:01 AM
Keeper

Should be easy to figure out who the guy was. If he did good day 1 then he must have been 20+# so only a limited group were over 20#. Then out of those individuals remember who you seen out on regular part of Lake and exclude them and your left with handful of guys.
From my perspective as long as the rules didn't say that it was out of bounds then congrats for them thinking outside the box. However I don't know ow what the law or ruling would be for digging up the road. If they physically didn't dig up the road themselves then they did nothing wrong it would be the backhoe operator who's at fault. I don't see them sticking a gun to the backhoe operators head so he had a choice. Anyways I've never been there so have no idea what the lake or road looks like just stating if it's not in he rules then they out foxed everyone

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2015, 06:33 AM
Keeper

Default .

It was no secret that there were good fish across this road. A month ago in the MWC a team used a small boat to make it across when larger boats could not. They ended up second place. I give them credit for being creative.

As for this situation I will wait to see who is involved with digging the trench in the road. If it was done by some one not involved or a local then so be it. Then it is a part of doing their homework and part of the pre fishing puzzle.

On the other hand if there is ties between a tournament angler and the person who dug the trench then I see a big problem and this individual or individuals should be called out and have to explain their actions and possible bans from future entry. I will wait to see what the investigation turns up.

As far as you tah, I hope this instance isn't the reason to retire from tournament fishing. I agree the drive for money and fame makes people do weird things, but there is always a high road and a sense of self accomplishment to going out and competing at a high level of competition. I hope you don't get wrapped up in others actions and hope you make a decision on what fits you the best. Good luck!
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there. Fred Bear
Old 09-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Wallhanger

so the real question is did Paul Steffen get fined by the sherriff?

i kind of agree with go ranger here. if i'm looking for 100,000 check, i may be willing to fork over 10k for it. If the tournament officials only warned of a possibility of a fine especially. if they said its offlimits officially, then yeah, but i'd love to hear what paul steffen has to say about all of this.
Closed Thread