Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Chapleau Lodge, Borden Lake, Ontario - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-17-2018, 01:01 AM
Minnow

Default Chapleau Lodge, Borden Lake, Ontario

Heading to Chapleau Lodge on Borden Lake for walleye opener. We will also be focusing on pike and lake trout. Never been there before. Any advice on fishing strategies for this lake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 04:44 PM
Slot Fish

It was a long time ago, and only a short trip, but I thought the fishing was poor.

For walleye, I think a good strategy would be to be out at prime times, early morning and late evening in a spot the lodge recommends with live bait.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:42 PM
Slot Fish

Default Was there about 7 years ago

It was a super hot early June. Not a weed in the lake yet. The only walleyes we caught was 3/4 the way down the lake their is a big bay on the left.The back half is the closed to fishing its the spawning grounds. We fished in front of that all the way out to the main lake in 10 to 18 FOW. Flat lining 2-3/4 in silver rebel crank baits from 7 pm to 2 am.It was tuff fishing walleyes. But we did just OK. During the heat of the day we fished all the dead lumber for smallies and had a blast catching 2 smallies on a floating rapala at the same time. The small mouth fishing was excellent.

Good luck and thinking you will have to work hard for walleyes.
Halfmoon
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Was up there last June with my family....beautiful lake, and very nice clean cabins.

There are several fish sanctuary areas at the opposite end of Borden (North end I think ?), and you would have your best success fishing outside of those areas.

Lake is basically a SM Bass fishery, though the Lake Trout deep area is almost directly in front of the lodge/camp and has depths of 160' plus (or so)....the best fishing I was told was at the other end of the lake (about a 15 min run).

If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

The new owner is a good guy, who I met last year and is the Lead instructor at the Deep Water Diver's Institute, which is held in the late summer/fall at this lodge.

Rich B