Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Boat Electronics Help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 11-05-2020, 11:44 AM
Minnow

Default New Boat Electronics Help

Hi All, I am in the process of getting either a Lund Tyee 189GL or Skeeter Solera and don't know what to do for electronics. My Impact 1775 has a Helix 9 Mega DI/SI at the cockpit, and Helix 9 GPS at the bow all linked with an Ulterx with 360 Imaging. I haven't been super impressed with this set up as sometimes it won't hold spot lock, I get a lot of double bottom readings in less than 15', etc. I liked my old Lowrance Elite TI that I had in my little lund tiller better but seems like most people think Lowrance is behind in technology. I'd really like to stick to lowrance as the Ghost trolling motor is what I would like to go with. So sell me on a bow mount, cockpit unit, and bow unit. We probably walleye fish more than anything, but certainly do multispecies to include bass, crappie, trout, and wiper. I fish alone probably 60% of the time, and the other 40% wife and/or kids are along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2020, 09:24 PM
Wallhanger

Go with whatever makes you happy. Sounds like you already have your mind made up and will question yourself every time something doesn’t work the way you want.

If it were me, I’d go garmin, but I think you know what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
Go with whatever makes you happy. Sounds like you already have your mind made up and will question yourself every time something doesn’t work the way you want.

If it were me, I’d go garmin, but I think you know what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Garmin is the other I am looking at, they don't make it easy to figure out what you need, what networks, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2020, 03:25 AM
Wallhanger

Default Your Observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrnhntr View Post
Hi All, I am in the process of getting either a Lund Tyee 189GL or Skeeter Solera and don't know what to do for electronics. My Impact 1775 has a Helix 9 Mega DI/SI at the cockpit, and Helix 9 GPS at the bow all linked with an Ulterx with 360 Imaging. I haven't been super impressed with this set up as sometimes it won't hold spot lock, I get a lot of double bottom readings in less than 15', etc. I liked my old Lowrance Elite TI that I had in my little lund tiller better but seems like most people think Lowrance is behind in technology. I'd really like to stick to lowrance as the Ghost trolling motor is what I would like to go with. So sell me on a bow mount, cockpit unit, and bow unit. We probably walleye fish more than anything, but certainly do multispecies to include bass, crappie, trout, and wiper. I fish alone probably 60% of the time, and the other 40% wife and/or kids are along.
In my opinion why Lowrance gets labeled behind in technology is in some arenas they are like side imaging and down imaging. When I fish Lake Mich, Lake Superior, Lowrance is popular.

But in areas like 2D sonar, chirp and networking multiple unit capabilities, Lowrance was and still is the leader. I do not know how one can improve in this area. Not too much to improve in 2D.

Hummingbird seems to be popular in the bass markets and I do like HB map, DI and SI down imaging for walleyes and crappies at times.

My fall back is 2D and that goes to Lowrance, remember for the way I fish. Right now am fishing walleyes in 26-40' of water bellies to the mud bottom off hard sand, Actual side to side comparisons Lowrance excels, close second Vexilar Edge.

I don't find Garmin difficult to network I have one on the bow and another on the stern if your speaking of mapping can't help you.

My advice pick the area on the boat you fish the most then get as good as unit as you can afford.

There are alot of good people in the business to turn too. Cory at Reeds in Walker, Minnesota, the 2nd would be Russ Francisco Marine General Duluth. Two of the most honest folks in the business. Well worth the time to reach out to them. They will give it to your straight and they carry all the brands

https://www.reedssports.com/

https://www.marinegeneral.com/

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 11-06-2020 at 03:33 AM. Reason: words/links
Old 11-06-2020, 07:32 AM
Wallhanger

For me SI is my most important and used the most, that is why I run Hbirds the new Gen 3`s SI is outstanding, there is not another manufacturer that comes close.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:49 AM
Wallhanger

If you like lowrance stay with them. I've heard the ti2' s are going on clearance soon with a new model coming out?
Old 11-14-2020, 10:12 AM
not Garmins

Default not Garmins

I've had two Garmins and they were junk with sketchy customer service at best. Go Lowrance and don't look back.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:34 AM
Keeper

I run A Lowrance 9” on the console and 7” on the bow with a bow Garmin for Livescope.

Mapping, SI/DI, and 2D on the console, mapping and 2D on the 7” at the bow (NMEA2000 with console to share waypoints), and the Garmin is standalone.

If I did anything different it would be to swap the console Lowrance with a Humminbird because their SI looks superior. I’m also curious to see how the new GT56UHD Garmin transducer stacks up to Humminbird. Preliminary photos online look pretty nice.

I’ve talked to a few random guys at boat ramps that have recently switched to Garmin and they’re satisfied.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:47 PM
Wallhanger

Garmin if it’s in your budget or bust.
BT terrova link
Old 11-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

It’s the time of year when the new electronics start to show up. There’s been rumours for months about Lowrance coming out with a new version of the Elite TI series and some other big stuff. If you want the latest and greatest, I’d wait a bit and see what they all the OEMs come out with.

If that’s not a big deal to you, there’s bound to be some really good deals around Black Friday, especially on units that are likely going to be replaced in the near future. The Lowrance Active Imaging SI/DI is right there with Humminbird. In my opinion, if you’re happy with Lowrance and know the product, that combined with the advantages of Lowrance outweigh any minor gain in SI performance you might see by switching.

Waxy