Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cleaning Tell tale Hole? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 AM
Slot Fish

Default Cleaning Tell tale Hole?

Had the impeller changed by a local dealer on my Yamaha 100 hp outboard this spring. Water came out of the tell tale as it should the first time or two on the water but it started to have an interrupted stream, or none at all at times. I just keep an eye on it and stick a bottom bouncer in there and it goes back to almost normal, but I have to do it once or twice a trip. I ran the garden hose through the flush attachment but it didn't seem to change much. Called the shop and they said the first thing they would do is let it idle and shoot air into the tell tale. Any other home remedies I could try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Slough,
You could remove the cowl, remove the pee hose from the engine end of the hose and use a garden hose with a fine tip on the end to push water both ways through the hose and then replace it back on the engine and you should be good to go.

You likely have something in the hose like an insect and you are just moving it up and down the hose but not actually removing it.

Also, on many engines, the hose comes from the engine and then clips onto a fitting on the engine lower cowl. So, if you can, also remove the hose from the fitting on the lower cowl, so that you can clean both the hose as well as the fitting on the lower cowl before putting the cleaned up hose back on both the engine block and the lower engine cowl.

p.s.
Depending on the engine, sometimes a long hemostat is your best friend to extend your reach, remove clamps from the hose and grabbing the hose to remove it from the engine and the cowl.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Precis...gateway&sr=8-3

Good luck
Old 06-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Keeper

We used to get small stones stuck in there from pinning boat with engine when docking at a bank. We did the same thing as you with the wire but the best fix was removing the cowling, remove the hoe that goes to the pee hole, put muffs on engine, then start it up and let it run for a minute. then take the hose with a fine jet and back flush from the pee hole, put it all back together and you should be good to go till you get more trash in there. My one buddy got so sick if it happening he removed the pee hole fitting and just ran the hose out of the cover hole. But I have read it does not allow for proper engine cooling, he never had a problem.
Ches.
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

As Ches said, I'd remove the pee hole fitting entirely and run it for a few to flush it on muffs, them put it back on. I'd also pinch the tube as far as you can up it to dislodge anything that may be in there. Mine religiously clogs from crushed mussel shells in one lake I fish at and have to do that operation from time to time when it just won't stop plugging up. One time also, I had these little tiny wasp looking bugs that decided that hole/hose was a good place to build a home and nest. Went to prep the boat for a trip and noticed a little head peeking out at me. lol
Old 06-19-2019, 08:02 AM
Keeper

I have not done it, but it might be cleaner to use compressed air to blow out the plastic fitting at the end (not the hose). I have used water to back flush that part and it works, but plan on getting wet. LOL
Ches.