Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Don't waste your money -- rolled straw for lawn repair... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Slot Fish

Default Don't waste your money -- rolled straw for lawn repair...

Had a landscaper install a beautiful unilock sidewalk in the backyard. After the walk was in, the yard needed some repair around the perimeter of the sidewalk and He suggested a quicklawn pro repair blanket roll. We added some topsoil, some 10-10-10 and good quality grass seed and then unrolled this biodegradable blanket and secured it with biodegradable stakes. This was about the first of August. I watered it pretty faithfully and we got some decent rains. Now, 7 weeks later, we have a very mediocre result. The regions I simply scratched up and worked in seed/fertilizer exploded and are pretty thick but the blanketed areas are thin at best. I got these blankets at Menards for about $25 a piece. Don't waste your money... Anybody have any grass repair tips---please share...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2018, 08:02 PM
Wallhanger

My advice is never plant grass seed in summer. Always spring or fall. Allot of times even with watering twice a day the seeds and dirt will dry out in hot weather. Unless it is raining you should water twice a day. Grass likes cooler weather. I would guess the areas with the straw Matt stayed that much hotter. Depending on what area you are in. Allot of times the grass seed has some rye in it for a cover. That comes up first before the Kentucky grass. The rye dies out in a few years. The parts that came up might be rye not the long term grass. I am not an expert on planting grass.

Last edited by Snowking; 09-23-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

Interesting, I just had a new driveway installed and had to do some seeding around the drive and walk. Filled in with dirt left over from the process, hand spread the seed on top, watered daily for the first week, mowed it over the weekend, 2.5 weeks. No cover, cheap seed, the less work I put into it the better the outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

I have found there is a limited window in the fall for seeding. The beginning of September is prime, but now it too late. I have found that if the stand cannot germinate and establish before winter, the germination rates are poor.

Grass seed needs to have contact with the ground, I typically apply grass seed heavy, then lightly rake it to roll it into the ground. I like to use starter fertilizer, and most importantly you need to water 2-3x per day for 10 days or so to get decent germination rates.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:48 AM
Wallhanger

roll is really only necessary on hillsides or slopes. and its purpose is merely errosion. that your grass didn't grow properly is because of the seed or some other problem.

seed again now. and shake some straw on it. come spring it will be lush.