Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New 115 suzuki issue? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-28-2019, 07:15 AM
Minnow

Default New 115 suzuki issue?

Found and bought a carry over 2018 trophy with a 115hp Suzuki motor. Have less than 4 hrs on it and am going thru the break in process right now. Was starting it to use over the weekend. The normal lights lite up on dash, check engine, temp, oil, and rev then go out and the normal beep sounds doing its prestart check. But when I started it, after aprox 1 to 2 seconds, 3 of the 4 lights come back on and stay on. Check engine, temp and oil. I contacted the dealer and he said he has never seen that before. I also went thru the owners manual and saw about each light, ect.. but nothing about 3 of 4. I will be dropping it off with him this morning to have checked. So this has me wondering. Any of you Suzuki guys see this before? Anyone know what this might be? I did check the oil and the water stream. All were fine. Thanks for any imput!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 05:45 PM
Wallhanger

Pain in the butt. But I think you'll be fine. They'll probably replace some electronic module and things will be good going forward.

Good Luck.

I had some trouble with my Suzuki today. I haven't had it wet for 1.5 years. I was sick all last summer and didn't go fishing one time.

Today I put the boat into the water with the intention of putting it on my lift for the summer. It's an old aluminum resort boat that I rebuilt (new floor and transom). I bought a new 25hp 'Zuk with e-start and t/t.

All fresh gas last week. Today I launch and push the start button and it starts faster than I could have imagined. One turn and it's purring. I just let it idle - a friend was launching his pontoon for the summer - I stuck around to see if he needed help.

His boat started right up and he idled down the lake - waiting for me. I had to stow some gear and put on my life jacket. He was nearly a mile down the lake when I got going. I throttled up to about 75% and am always amazed at how well today's engines run. About 1/2 mile later the engine starts to slow down and then dies. WTF?

I pumped a little gas thru the bulb and tried to start it. It would run but not for long - it wouldn't let me give it throttle or shift it into gear. It acted as though the tank vent was not open - but it was. To make sure I took the cap off of the tank. Nothing I did made any difference.

My friend circled back and towed me to the landing. I had my trolling motor to actually dock. I brought the rig home, hooked up the garden hose and it was the same - fire but not start. So I just left it - it's still under warranty and I'm getting ready for a Canada trip. I have another, bigger boat for Canada and larger lakes in N. MN.

I walked down to my neighbor's - he's also getting ready for a Canada trip and I wanted to see if he needed help with anything. He's always got something going. At the time he was trying to get an old aeration pump out of his Tyee and a broken grease zerk out of the tandem spring shackle of his trailer.

He wanted to look at my motor - thinking it wasn't getting gas. But I had disconnected the hose and there was plenty of pressurized gas in it. Push the button and it would fire but not start. The pontoon guy came over to see how I was doing. We talked for a while and I pushed the start button and it ran like a champ.

I have no idea. The neighbor is heading to Canada this Saturday. He'll have to run his Tyee down the lake about 5 miles to the landing. I'll launch my boat with the Suzuki the and run the 5 miles from the landing to my house. If I have trouble the neighbor will be on the lake and can tow me back to the landing. But I really don't have any worries about it. Just a strange happening I guess.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Keeper

Law, I had a Merc doing the same thing after I changed fuel tanks, the new fuel lines have a liner in them, when I attached the hose to the new Moeller 12 gallon tank, the inner sleeve didn't get all the way over the barb and smashed the liner (ethanol I believe is why they have a liner now) over. It took me 2 weeks to figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrxlh View Post
Law, I had a Merc doing the same thing after I changed fuel tanks, the new fuel lines have a liner in them, when I attached the hose to the new Moeller 12 gallon tank, the inner sleeve didn't get all the way over the barb and smashed the liner (ethanol I believe is why they have a liner now) over. It took me 2 weeks to figure it out.
Thanks man. When my neighbor came up to look at the motor he had me disconnect the gas line at the motor. Now remember, it was pressurized. But I disconnected and then re-connected the line. Are you thinking that maybe I got a better connection - line to motor - at that time. It ran well after that connection.

As I stated in my original post, I did disconnect the line earlier. But I suppose it's possible I didn't reconnect it correctly that time. It did not, however, leak any gasoline.

I know if it ever happens again I'm going to make sure the vent is open and that the line is connected correctly.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Keeper

It won't leak, but restrict the gas flow if the liner is not over the barb. I could pump the bulb up and it would run for a couple minutes then die, rinse repeat, finally died in the river and it dawned on me, the only thing I changed was the fuel tank, which required me to attach the fuel line to the new tank barb. Pulled it off and notice the inner liner was smashed flat. Cut an inch off the hose and carefully pushed it back over the barb, never another issue....
Old 06-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Keeper

That hose with the liner is a pain. They have a new one out now for alcohol with no liner.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Keeper

Also check your book for water in fuel alarm. Dont remember the code , but that could be it.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Minnow

IT was a bad gauge. I was hoping it was not serious. Thanks for the imput.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingGuy58 View Post
IT was a bad gauge. I was hoping it was not serious. Thanks for the imput.
That's great man! Things happen with new stuff. But Suzuki is a big multi-national corporation who is not going to skimp on warranty obligations.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Keeper

Glad it was something simple, crap happens, glad they got it taken care of!!!