Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2008 Lund 1700 Pro Sport - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-04-2020, 01:22 PM
Minnow

Default 2008 Lund 1700 Pro Sport

Looking at this boat. Has a 115 hp Mercury (2008)on it. Garage kept. Great condition.
What do you guys think of this boat and what would be a fair price to pay for it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 09:36 PM
Minnow

Went and took a look and if this were a car it would be considered a barn find. It is cherry. A 60th anniversary model. On the Hobbs it has 300 hours on the motor. A minn kota power drive 2 troller. A Lowerance HDS8 with GPS. A mercury Vengence stainless 16P prop. Aluminum rock guards on a galvanized 4 bunk Shorelander with folding tongue.

Some options on original invoice:
Airride PED upgrade
Cockpit cover
Complete Top Set
2 bank on board charger

Anyone own or owned a 1700 Pro Sport?
Old 08-05-2020, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Regardless of outside appearance, check out the transom very closely. Some have said that 2008 is not included in the range of the years impacted. But I will assure you that this year was impacted. My 2008 Explorer transom rotted and was replaced. It was stored in a heated garage year around.

Check to see if there is movement (transom flexes) when you lift on motor when it is in tilted position. Check to see if the bolts that go thru the transom are loose or if they are squishing the transom. The bolts that attach the angled supports in the splash well area good place to look. Look for any coffee colored stains on either side of transom. When it rots, the water will turn brown and leak out in areas.

The problem was using wood that couldn't take the wet environment nad not properly sealing the cap and bolts.

If it needs the transom replaced, it will greatly impact the price.

What is the current asking price?

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2020, 06:46 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up

Thanks Walli.
That is some really good info of what to look for. Very detailed and will definitely give the transom a hard look now. We settled on 15.
The owner passed last winter so the boat so it has not been run for about a year.
It is definitely an upgrade from my 1960's Lowe 14 footer with a 2003 Yamaha 15/ 4 stroker that i inherited from my Dad.

Much appreciated Walli

Paul
Old 08-06-2020, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

Good luck with the boat. Sounds like a good find. We had the same year 1825 Explorer Sport and loved it.

What motor does it have, 2 or 4 stroke?

We had the Optimax and it was a great motor.

Enjoy!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 08-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Minnow

It is a Mercury 115 4 stroke EFI
More boat and motor than i ever thought i would own. I really am a simple kind of man and was looking for an Alaskan with a side console or maybe an Alumacraft Summit. This just fell in my lap.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 PM
Wallhanger

If the transom is good buy it NOW!

Market is stupid right now. Sure they could get 18-19k for it currently
BT terrova link
Old 08-07-2020, 06:53 AM
Minnow

Yeah, i bought her Boon. You are right about the market. And i live outside the market,which made this a rarer find. Not even close to the boat i was looking for, but roll with it for now for all the apparent reasons.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

Milehigh, I have a similar boat in the 1700 Lund Fisherman with the same motor as your Pro Sport. As you describe the condition and the options/items included, 15k is a good purchase. As has been mentioned, check out the condition of the transom. Suggest you check for straining around scuppers, are top cap screws loose going down into the transom, grab the motor and rock it checking for movement and any bubbling of paint. All are indications of potential issues. I had a Lund dealer install a factory HDP composite transom in mine and it's not cheap. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Minnow

Thanks Shotgun. More great suggestions on the transom inspection. I am just baffled that a huge manufacturer would end up with rotting transom issues that apparently went on for years. It is the heart of the boat. And with the cost of some boats being more than a lot of vehicles, that there wouldn't be some sort of recall policy in place.

Thanks again to everyone who has weighed in (so far) and helped out on my thread

Paul