Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fixing Rock Chips in Painted Aluminium Hull - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Keeper

Default Fixing Rock Chips in Painted Aluminium Hull

Anyone ever fix rock chips on an aluminum hull painted black successfully? All the repair techniques I've been looking at seem to involve slowly filling the chip by dripping from a toothpick etc, but this seems next to impossible on a partially inverted surface. Tiny paint brush? Did you use primer first? What about a rubbing compound or wet-sand for blending? I have about 15 chips in my one year old boat I'd like to take care of in the spring- they're driving me nuts!!! (see my other post under the trailers section).

If anyone has had success I'd be great foul in hearing some tips!
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Munshaw,
Just take the boat over to your favorite body shop and they will fix it in a couple of hours.

It is really no different than fixing rock chips in a car.

REW
Old 02-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Keeper

Default Chips

If your looking for a show room fix, you might want to do as REW suggest. When I did my boat, I ordered the factory paint which came in spray cans and sprayed a little on a piece of cardboard. Earlier had had went to Hobby Lobby and bought a set of small paint brushes.

It is time consuming work if you want a (Good) looking job. Take your time and do a couple in a none noticeable spot and as you get the hang of it move to the others. I did not use primer but did clean thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.

From 5 feet you would never have know there was a chip. If you were like a foot away then you could see were some were done. I guess I could have over filled and wet sanded but, Besides yourself, who really looks that closely at your boat. Unless it's time to sell

Chair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Wallhanger

After a scratch from a boulder, minor dock rash , and miscellaneous wear and tear, I launch the boat, unable to see any difference in the pleasure of fishing. If wear and tear drives you nuts, keep it garaged and far from ashphalt, water, or rocks.

Last edited by ohiojmj; 02-11-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiojmj View Post
After a scratch from a boulder, minor dock rash , and miscellaneous wear and tear, I launch the boat, unable to see any difference in the pleasure of fishing. If wear and tear drives you nuts, keep it garaged and far from ashphalt, water, or rocks.
Wear and tear doesn't drive me nuts. I pulled my boat up on the rocky shoreline it's first trip out. Needlessly decreasing its value and beauty with something that can be avoided/fixed just shows pride of ownership. For me this was a significant purchase and I enjoy taking care of my things. I have the time and my labour is free!