Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Diagnosing Trim Gauge Problems - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-14-2021, 08:52 PM
Keeper

Default Diagnosing Trim Gauge Problems

Hello again!

My trim gauge has stopped working. How can I troubleshot to determine if its the actual gauge or the trim sensor?
I have a 2020 Mercury 150 four stroke.

I have googled a bit, but everything I find is about replacing the gauge itself and not really about diagnosing the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2021, 07:15 AM
Keeper

Here is something to try - https://fariabeede.com/site_manuals/IS0421_A.pdf

Not sure if the 150 is the same setup as the 300 pro xs but on my 300 there is not a "traditional" analog trim sensor that hooks to the gauge. The motor has a digital sensor and performs a digital to analog conversion for the sensor. I have found that the d-to-a conversion is not compatible with all gauges.

A "traditional" gauge has 12 volts, ground and a return input. The old style trim sensor is a rheostat that varies resistance with the angle of the motor. The varied resistance causes the voltage to vary at the gauge input. The d-to-a conversion simulates this by using pulse width modulation. Depending on the voltmeter you have, you may or may not be able to accurately read the input.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:03 AM
Keeper

Thanks for that link! I'll give that a try tonight.