Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Powder Paint Jig Heads questions - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 01-06-2020, 04:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
You say you now buy (presentence) prepainted heads, then go on to say you use (presentence) powder paints and cure in an oven. Thus my question remains: Gary, are you saying you are buying pre-painted heads and then adding a powder paint over them?

Your answer would indicate that you are not buying prepainted heads and using powder paint on them. I'm just trying to understand your earlier statement.

I meant pre-poured sorry not painted jig heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Keeper

Good info thanks everyone, I searched last night for Jig heads. I think Netcraft has a pretty good price on the ball heads but hard to tell without seeing one in person.

I like a longer shank and wide area between the shank and hook. Probably does not matter but I have found it works for me.

I like the single painted jig heads I am buying at Scheels. I have pretty much only bought them recently. If I can find a blank like that not painted I am going for it.

Scheels sells them at $.50 each, paint does chip pretty easy

thanks again for all the replies
Old 01-07-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Potatoe,
To answer your question about fluid beds:

Yes, use one if you can buy or make one. The use of the fluid bed makes everything go so much easier.

With the fluid bed, dipping the lead heads is like dunking them in a pool of water.

Without the fluid bed, you have to work and twist the lead head into the paint to get the coverage.

It wiill work without using the fluid bed, but not nearly as nice as with the fluid bed.

The one downside of a fluid bed, is that you really need one for each color you are using. If using a lot of colors, the making or purchase of these number of beds can run up the price.

But, certainly, if doing a lot of lead heads, by all means use the fluid bed.

-----------------
There are a lot of you tube videos out there that demonstrate various ways to construct your own fluid bed. Basically you need an air supply and then a bed for the air to bubble through to keep the paint in suspension and a regulator on each line to control the air flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vno1U-9X_s8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Potatoe,

The one downside of a fluid bed, is that you really need one for each color you are using. If using a lot of colors, the making or purchase of these number of beds can run up the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vno1U-9X_s8
The part which holds the paint powder is the least expensive part of a complete fluid bed. I probably have 8 or 9 different colors each in it's own sleeve which slides right into the base unit. I don't think I have more than 3 dollars invested in each one. Using the type of build shown in the video, with a "union" is unnecessarily expense design. A less expensive design build uses just a length of PVC with the filter glued on one end and a test cap for the other. Simple cheap and effective.

Last edited by Huntindave; 01-07-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Fluid beds aren't even really necessary. I just keep my powder paints in small Tupperware containers that are wide and flat. Just deep enough to get complete coverage of what I'm painting. All you have to do is shake the powder in the container with the lid on before you start. You can usually dip dozens of pieces before it settles and you need to shake it up again.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:57 PM
Keeper

Just curious what filter can you use for multiple units

not sure bond paper would work the best for multiple units

I am pretty sure I am over thinking the jig head blank, does anyone have a good link to a favorite supplier of jig heads
Old 01-07-2020, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
Just curious what filter can you use for multiple units

not sure bond paper would work the best for multiple units

I am pretty sure I am over thinking the jig head blank, does anyone have a good link to a favorite supplier of jig heads
My fluid bed powder cups are built very similar to the build in this crappy video (not mine) I watched a bunch different build designs and made my own modifications.

My filters are made from a single thickness of paper in a scratch pad I had on hand. They are glued directly to the bottom end of the piece of PVC which is the cup the powder sits in.
I'm not saying this design is the best, but works for me.
As for the bare jigs, I pour my own.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:46 PM
Minnow

What brand of powder paint would you suggest - PRO-TEC or Netcraft. Pro-Tec

I am looking at blank jig heads from Netcraft - is there a better source ?? Look on Facebook Groups. I got 50 unpainted jig hds for $15

Do you need the fluid bed, have watched a few videos on making them. It makes it easier AND they're EASY to make. Check out how on youtube.

Painting on the eye's, do you guys do this and what paint do you use. Dip a drill bit end into paint, then touch to the jig head...fast and simple with lots of sizes to chose from.

sorry for all the questions, this is a first for me. Winter sucks and I am river fishing. Thought this might be a good project. It IS fun to make your own and so much cheaper too!!

Hope this helps ya.
Terry
Old 01-10-2020, 08:30 PM
Keeper

Thanks Terry

Found PRO-TEC at Fleet Farm
Old 01-11-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

These milk house filters work very very well to use as a filter in a fluid bath:

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/mil...ouse%20filters