Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Spearfishing walleyes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-18-2021, 10:42 AM
Minnow

Default Spearfishing walleyes

Anyone here also spearfish for walleyes? I know it's not legal everywhere in fact probably can't most places. Fortunately for me we can here. Just curious if anyone else does. It's a huge challenge, great workout and tons of fun. I probably have hours of underwater time for each walleye speared despite what the naysayers say.

this will be my first year spearing on the Missouri here in SD so if anyone has any tips or wants to get together let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2021, 12:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappin' Bottom View Post
Anyone here also spearfish for walleyes? I know it's not legal everywhere in fact probably can't most places. Fortunately for me we can here. Just curious if anyone else does. It's a huge challenge, great workout and tons of fun. I probably have hours of underwater time for each walleye speared despite what the naysayers say.

this will be my first year spearing on the Missouri here in SD so if anyone has any tips or wants to get together let me know!
Curious, What are limits and restrictions? Are any other gamefish legal to spear? Bob
Old 04-18-2021, 01:16 PM
Minnow

Same rules, limits and size restrictions as angling, only species off limits is salmon and trout. I don't think there's any others that are off limits. certain rules apply for different areas and you cant spear in April. You used to get an additional license but they did away with that in 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2021, 02:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Same rules, limits and size restrictions as angling, only species off limits is salmon and trout. I don't think there's any others that are off limits. certain rules apply for different areas and you cant spear in April. You used to get an additional license but they did away with that in 2019
How do you release a under size walleye after spearing it.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 04-18-2021, 02:25 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
How do you release a under size walleye after spearing it.

you don't, so it's best to be sure it's legal before you shoot it
Old 04-18-2021, 06:39 PM
Wallhanger

If the proposal in front of the Natural Resources Commission goes through it will be legal in Michigan Great Lakes waters next year. Lakers too. And pike which currently can only be speared through the ice. Free diving only and a 20’ max rope, can’t be done within 150’ of boat launches. Probably some other rules I’m not remembering.

You gotta like cold water to go after Lakers. They are available up shallow on Grand Traverse Bay until early June most years.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Back when i used to fish in Saskatchewan it seemed that spearfishing for most species was legal. It always seemed kinda strange to me, but the province had some unusual quantity rules at the time, so....

Bill
Old 04-19-2021, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Back when i used to fish in Saskatchewan it seemed that spearfishing for most species was legal. It always seemed kinda strange to me, but the province had some unusual quantity rules at the time, so....

Bill
It is legal here at bull shoals but only in June IIRC. 1/2 limit (2). Only Walleye which is controversial with the Walleye club. They spend several times as much money stocking bass than Walleye but Bass is king down here. About 3 years ago a group of guys put videos on the net. Didn't look too tough to me. They got a few feet away before they shot them. No problem making sure they were at least 18" minimum at that distance. At least there are not a bunch of them down here in June. Bob
Old 04-19-2021, 08:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Smallmouths are illegal to spear in ND. They swim right up to divers. I have caught them on an ice fishing rod while diving. Won’t ever do it again cuz the last one wrapped the line around my neck.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:18 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
It is legal here at bull shoals but only in June IIRC. 1/2 limit (2). Only Walleye which is controversial with the Walleye club. They spend several times as much money stocking bass than Walleye but Bass is king down here. About 3 years ago a group of guys put videos on the net. Didn't look too tough to me. They got a few feet away before they shot them. No problem making sure they were at least 18" minimum at that distance. At least there are not a bunch of them down here in June. Bob

have you ever seen a fishing video that made it look like a challenge? they tend to not show the slow days or waiting hours for a bite, just the highlights or "money shots" make it past the cutting room floor. I've never speared a limit of anything even though that's the goal when you go out.

yes you have to be close, usually within a few feet, but they can dart away in the blink of an eye, you really have to hunt them. They can tell when you're targeting them and how much you are paying attention, it makes them uneasy real quick. I usually swim down and hold onto a large rock or stump and wait as long as I can hold my breath. many times I don't see a fish for at least a few dives until I find where they are at. visibility is almost always less than 10' often times half that unless conditions are ideal then it could be a little further. I know a lot of people think it looks easy, I used to think it was until I tried it. It is a very good workout and often times you get to see some cool stuff.