Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Crank Bait Colors for Walleye - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-17-2020, 01:04 PM
Keeper

Default Crank Bait Colors for Walleye

Recently, we fished Lake Winni in MN for walleyes. We had our best luck trolling crankbaits. Lake Winni has very clear water. What surprised us was that some of the most garish colored lures did the best. We used Rapala, Strike King, and Bandit lures. I thought the ones in natural colors such as perch, etc., would be best in these clear waters. However, it seemed the brighter and more unnatural the color the better we did. Such colors as red and white, chartreuse and orange, and blue and white resulted in more hits from both walleye and northerns.

Curious what your experience has been in clear waters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Ack,
Actually, the best color for any water is the color and lure that catches the most fish.

I may start with a particular on a particular day on a particular body of water.

But at the end of the fishing trip on that body of water, the best lure is the one that puts the fish into the boat or into the net.

Clear and dirty water colors are only the starting point.

If you are in an area with active fish, and aren't catching fish, you do, as you did. Keep changine lures and or colors until you find the best combination to put the fish into the net.

Glad that you had a good trip.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:35 AM
Keeper

Down here on Lake Erie, the water is incredibly clear now that zebra mussels have taken over. My top three crankbaits (in order) over the past decade are Rapala DHJ-12's in Pink Glass Clown, Blue Chrome, and Glass Perch. I have no idea why, but they just love that pink lure!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2020, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

We where taught to remember the word PROP

Purple
Red
Orange
Pink

Baits with one or a combination of those colors have worked very well for us. We pull harnesses for
the most part and make our own so it's easy to stick to those colors.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:52 AM
Wallhanger

My basic start is to go natural, whatever the lakes baitfish are is what I try to start with, that failing I go as bright as I have and try for the reaction strike, that failing I'll use minnows and slip bobbers and take a nap.

Al
Old 10-27-2020, 04:46 AM
Wallhanger

Default Color

Natural perch was one of the best this fall, with a painted on yellow stripe. baits with a flatter action instead of the digging down ward
Old 10-27-2020, 11:13 AM
Wallhanger

I am of the opinion that all you need is two colors for any type of lure:

1) A Natural Bait Color - Silver/Black, Gold/Black, Perch, White
2) An Unnatural Bright Color - Firetiger or similar

I prefer colors that contrast as well. The fact that colors schemes like Firetiger work well may be more to do with the contrast between them than the actual colors. I am speculating here, but I believe this may be particularly true for predatory animals as contrast allows easier separation of prey from the surroundings, not the actual colors due to natural camouflage.

The rest is marketing.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:32 PM
Wallhanger

While the speculating is going on, I think color/contrast or any other appearance thing is down the line of factors in my experience. After getting a bait to the correct depth, correct action, correct sound then I start changing colors. Most body's of water have a most popular lure, with the most popular color. If I stop at a couple bait shops and inquire, I usually have a starting point. It may not be scientific but more often than not it is a head start for me. I think the subject is interesting and I have a group of lures in colors I have done well with, but I try not to be swayed by only my experience. And of course there really is no "correct answer". Just the one that works that time. Makes it interesting! Bob
Old 10-27-2020, 09:33 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
While the speculating is going on, I think color/contrast or any other appearance thing is down the line of factors in my experience. After getting a bait to the correct depth, correct action, correct sound then I start changing colors. Most body's of water have a most popular lure, with the most popular color. If I stop at a couple bait shops and inquire, I usually have a starting point. It may not be scientific but more often than not it is a head start for me. I think the subject is interesting and I have a group of lures in colors I have done well with, but I try not to be swayed by only my experience. And of course there really is no "correct answer". Just the one that works that time. Makes it interesting! Bob
Don't forget correct speed...

Although I absolutely believe color can be an important factor at times...I agree that most of the time it is one of the least important factors! With that being said...I somehow have convinced myself I need da*n near all of the colors available...
So, it's safe to say that all of the colors have caught me...many colors though, have caught lots of fish!
Old 10-28-2020, 02:58 AM
Wallhanger

Default UV Blast

Also this fall I sprayed by baits with UV Blast. it seemed to brighten the lures, to my eyes anyway just a bit. Also contrasting painted on stripes in red, or yellow and panting the lips red too. Another great fall and did not buy live bait