Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trollmaster 3 wireless remote issues - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-05-2020, 01:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Trollmaster 3 wireless remote issues

I recently installed the Trollmaster Pro 3 Plus wireless remote system on my Yamaha kicker. It's real nice...when it works. I've had recent problems with the motor surging some, which I am trying to figure out how that's a trollmaster issue, but it sure doesn't do it when I run it by hand (tiller model). The bigger issue is, I just installed new batteries in the wireless remote, and not even a day in, it's saying low battery. The last set did not last long either. Has anyone else noticed this issue? I don't use the thing a ton, and sure don't believe I should be having to install new batteries this often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2020, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

Been using the trollmaster 3 for just over a year now, and it's a real POS. I am on my third unit, first one lasted less than a week. Just had my third unit put in about 3 weeks ago, and it'started acting up about a week after being installed. Very unreliable, terribly inconstant speed, and over all a mind of its own. Had the dial one on my previous boat, and it was flawless. Two friends of mine are also having issues with their Trollmaster 3's. I'm switching to Itrol this winter.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Minnow

I too have had all the issues listed above with my Pro 3+. I also had an incident where the receiver overheated to the point it was smoking and melted down inside the back compartment of my then brand new 621FS (that was a little scary).

They are backed by very good customer service, however, I got tired of dealing with a non functioning unit and swapping out components. I removed the Pro 3+ and went back to my Pro Digital wired unit. It's always been reliable and works as it should (glad I hung onto it). I now have a Pro 3+ sitting in a drawer in my garage because I won't sell it to someone else in good conscience.

I like the idea and convenience of being wireless but they have some bugs to work out before I'll try it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 04:46 PM
Keeper

One thing that would be nice is if you could plug in your remote and Charge it, I wouldn't think this would be to hard to do and it would save a lot of batteries/money
Old 08-07-2020, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Oooof....I wasn't prepared for all the negative comments, that's for sure! Mine was surging and acting weird the other day again, but once it settled down, it ran real well. The low battery thing is a bummer, because when it does run well, it's done fine. I guess I'll monitor it and go from there, see what happens. This sucks.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:50 PM
Wallhanger

I get 3-4 days of use with top batteries. They do have good customer support, but if you paid someone to install it, you will have to pay them again for an install, even though you may get a new unit or parts under warranty. You are looking at 1 1/2 to two hrs labor costs for a reinstall, on your dime. when you have their unit crap out three times in a year, the costs start to add up, even though they have good customer support, and send you free parts under warranty. I'm done with their junk, and moving on to a unit that needs no new parts under warranty.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:40 AM
Keeper

I am to supersized with the negative feed back, i had mentioned only a improvement suggestion above, beside that i have not had any issues, mine has worked like it should and easy to use would buy again

love the fact its wireless, imagine having your trolling motor remote hard wired

Last edited by Redy2fish; 08-08-2020 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Default yep

I had used trollmaster products for a few boats. My last one was crap. I switched to I-troll never looked back. Trollmaster customer service was bad also.
I-troll #1
Old 08-09-2020, 08:37 PM
Wallhanger

whew!

glad I saw this thread!

guess Ill sit tight a while
Old 08-10-2020, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

This is all pretty disappointing. Guess I'll keep monitoring it, see what it does. I installed it all myself. Do you find that it's usually the control box that's bad, or the actual servo assembly on the motor?