Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Future Of Tournament Angling - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Smile It's all about having 'true Skill to be a Pro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Yeah, because watching a guy trolling or casting a crankbait is infinitely more exciting...

Man up, lol, give me a break.

Waxy
#1) Artificial vs baitfishing ~ Don't let the bait do the work, learn to use your I-'skills to work a artificial lure and score some hogs...

#2) Then/after the above ~ no more 'easy trolling on Pro I-circuits, learn to use you I-'skills to "locate" a livewell of 'rodbenders...

#3) I-Guy Pros ~ if you follow through on the above two items, then you'll be where BASS was in the 1960s -when the BASS Pros started a more refined tourney w/'skills as a test -- rather than the common lessor luck-bite or cover larger areas of water because many don't use/have locating 'skills...

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybob View Post
#1) Artificial vs baitfishing ~ Don't let the bait do the work, learn to use your I-'skills to work a artificial lure and score some hogs...

#2) Then/after the above ~ no more 'easy trolling on Pro I-circuits, learn to use you I-'skills to "locate" a livewell of 'rodbenders...

#3) I-Guy Pros ~ if you follow through on the above two items, then you'll be where BASS was in the 1960s -when the BASS Pros started a more refined tourney w/'skills as a test -- rather than the common lessor luck-bite or cover larger areas of water because many don't use/have locating 'skills...
I don't really understand all your "I" references or slang, so hard to really respond to this post.

I do understand this, you pro-artificial guys have a serious superiority complex, and I don't get it. If you have such mad "skills" then you should win all the time regardless and be more than happy to let others use whatever bait or technique they want. IMHO, the last thing that walleye tournaments need to deal with right now is this kind of elitism.

The goal of tournament fishing is to catch the most and biggest fish by whatever the most effective method is at that time and place. I have real doubts about whether the average "fan" cares whether the anglers use bait or not - they want to see big fish, lots of them, and angling techniques that apply to them and the way they fish.

And oh yeah - Walleye are not Bass, and vice-versa...

Waxy
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
And oh yeah - Walleye are not Bass, and vice-versa...

Waxy

Yup. Comparing the two sports is so dumb. I have clients nationwide and talk to them about fishing sometimes when we BS.

1st Q? What do you fish for? A. Walleye. 2nd Q? What's a walleye. DOH! And sadly I even get this question from states where walleye exist midwest, northeast.

I'll ask them do you know what a bass is and they all know. Fans of walleye fishing, haha, people across lake erie don't even show up for the big weighs ins or could care less it's going on. Most say tell me when the big tourneys are still in town so I can stay away from the ramps, these guys are pretty hardcore fisherman too. No such thing as new fans to tourney angling. Hate to say it but it's true.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Gonefishin View Post
Fans of walleye fishing, haha, people across lake erie don't even show up for the big weighs ins or could care less it's going on. Most say tell me when the big tourneys are still in town so I can stay away from the ramps, these guys are pretty hardcore fisherman too. No such thing as new fans to tourney angling. Hate to say it but it's true.
Pretty much the same thing here.

Every tournament will attract a few locals and some friends and family to the last day's weigh in, but I can pretty much guarantee it's just something to do out of proximity and curiousity, they aren't invested in it in any way, and certainly wouldn't pay to be there or watch it on TV.

Like you say, just as many people, likely more, go out of their way to NOT be there during the tournament or for a week or two afterward.

This much I do know, eliminating live bait in tournaments doesn't make one lick of difference to either group as to whether or not they'll ever watch or participate in a tourney. Eliminating a portion of the paying field with elitist rules would definitely have an effect on those currently participating though.

Waxy
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Wallhanger

Maybe the tournaments should allow gill nets, just imagine the amount of fish that would be brought in and how many people would come to see the weigh ins!

Tournament guys are supposed to be the best of the best. If you're that good you don't need a worm! It would be fair for everyone since no one would be allowed to use live bait in the tournament. But then you would have more tackle companies willing to participate in sponsoring anglers and tournaments. What bait company wants to sponsor a tournament that is won using crawlers on a harness? You think some of the compnanies making ruber worms might be interested if they had a chance of winnning with their baits?

It's not an elietest thing, it's a "getting with the program" thing.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Pretty much the same thing here.

Every tournament will attract a few locals and some friends and family to the last day's weigh in, but I can pretty much guarantee it's just something to do out of proximity and curiousity, they aren't invested in it in any way, and certainly wouldn't pay to be there or watch it on TV.

Like you say, just as many people, likely more, go out of their way to NOT be there during the tournament or for a week or two afterward.

This much I do know, eliminating live bait in tournaments doesn't make one lick of difference to either group as to whether or not they'll ever watch or participate in a tourney. Eliminating a portion of the paying field with elitist rules would definitely have an effect on those currently participating though.

Waxy
Amen Brother,

I fish both and enjoy them as they are
Before live bait, the talk was if Walleye fishing was C&R like Bass it would be huge
Well the AIM has that in the format and there not setting the world on fire
Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
timburr

Quote:
Originally Posted by huey View Post
That is not the way it worked and everyone knows it...stop kidding yourself.
sice you know everything tell me who made leadcore popular with walleye anglers and who discoverd trolling for suspended walleyes and how about bobber fishing for walleyes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timburr View Post
sice you know everything tell me who made leadcore popular with walleye anglers and who discoverd trolling for suspended walleyes and how about bobber fishing for walleyes
Fishermen, That's who

If you what to read about a very old time way to fish for Walleye
Look up hand lining, Born on the Detroit river
THe first guys used the copper wire from the telephone wires, The reels were Victrola box's
And the lures were pencil plugs or spoons they made. And the front guy rowed the boat
No pro's back then. Just fishermen catching dinner
http://www.lakestclairsportfishing.com/handlining.html
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
timburr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxfishing View Post
Fishermen, That's who

If you what to read about a very old time way to fish for Walleye
Look up hand lining, Born on the Detroit river
THe first guys used the copper wire from the telephone wires, The reels were Victrola box's
And the lures were pencil plugs or spoons they made. And the front guy rowed the boat
No pro's back then. Just fishermen catching dinner
http://www.lakestclairsportfishing.com/handlining.html
hey manxfishing walk into cabelas, scheels or gander mnt. to the fishing dept find me a lure or anything for that matter that wasn't invented,marketed, or introduced by a pro doesn't matter who discovered it matters who introduced it to the general public. for example 2011 lake oahe flw was won on spinner baits in the trees. this method has been used in nebraska for years not alot of people knew about it now they do and the spinner bait companys are pretty happy about that. just another technique introduced to alot of fishermen that never would have done this.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Money is the future of walleye tournaments.

If walleye tournaments had payouts like some of the big saltwater or bass tournaments you would not have a problem filling the spots.

$125,000 dollar cash payouts with a big championship, and they would beat a path to your door!

Sadly, in some way or another it usually relates to expendible income. Whether it is an idividual or a business. When that diminishes, so do the luxuries in life. So does the advertising.

The little guys go first, but if there isn't some type of economical growth, they will all go by the wayside.

I hope the best for all the circuits who are left and the new ones coming on!!

Wow, do I sound pessimistic or what???!!!