Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ulterra or wait... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-25-2019, 08:56 AM
Keeper

Default Ulterra or wait...

Just about to enter tournament season with my Ranger 620 that currently has a 4-5 year old terrova.
I'm wondering, with all the new motors coming out soon (garmin, lowrance, motorguide)
Should I pull the trigger on an Ulterra, or wait and see what comes out?

I'm not really interested in a bass boat cable drive unit. I need remote controlled with speed and heading control (what've use 99% of the time).

I know nobody "knows for sure" what is coming out soon. But the knowledge on this board is vast so I though I'd ask for advice.
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Running lowrance I’d wait and see unless you think the terrova is going to fail. Maybe nothing comes out but maybe it does. You might get a deal on today’s model that is outdated in a few months when the “greatest ever” new models hit the market.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Wallhanger

Given what I've seen lately, I wouldn't wait around to try out a completely new unit from any company. It seems as though the current method is to release new models and use "field testing" to work out the bugs.

My advice is to select a current model that is stable rather than something brand new with out a track record. Or just keep using the Terrova, until the new models get some time on the water. The last thing you want to be doing, especially at tournament time, is trouble shooting.

Good luck with your decision!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 06:44 PM
Wallhanger

The new lowrance trolling motor should be for sale in July. So right now they will be coming out with a motor that will compete with an ultrex. Bass boat style trolling motor but electric steer. You will be able to run it with a remote or a foot pedal. So apparently, from what I heard they will only have 1 motor. If you want a 24v, hook up 2 batteries, if you want 36v, hook up 3 batteries. I am sure they will have different shaft lenths available. Apparently when you network it to lowrance MFD's you can spot lock on the foot pedal or remote and there will also be a button on the foot control and remote to mark waypoints. I also heard it will have an option for the 3 in 1 active imaging transducer built in. That should really compete well against the mega ducer in the minn kotas.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:02 PM
Keeper

I think it depends why you want it. Heres my advice...

If you want to buy it for the auto deploy and to have a remote... do it now.

If you want the ability for the connection with your current electronics, wait for the Motorguide that will link with Lowrance. I use with the HB Helix navigation maps for things like auto pilot and follow the contour. I love these features - my boat drives itself while I fish. I plot the course on the helix and the speed on the remote, then let it go. Since youre already heavily invested in Lowrance electronics, the one upgrade you would do is the new trolling motor and connections. (if it will link up with what you have).

Like someone else said... Im also weary of new technology. I think they've had enough time to work the bugs out of the minn kota motors. Mine has been perfect.
112 Ulterra linked with Birds

Last edited by TimJamison11; 05-27-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Keeper

[QUOTE=egladding;6325300]The new lowrance ... July.... a motor that will compete with an ultrex. Bass boat style trolling motor but electric steer. .... 1 motor. If you want a 24v, hook up 2 batteries, if you want 36v, hook up 3 batteries

That would make it interesting... I do like the idea of auto deploy. It would save my tournament partner some grief that's for sure!

I fish a lot on Lesser Slave Lake in Alberta Canada. It's just over 60 miles long and gets VERY windy. An average day sees 15-20 mph winds, and that's a relatively calm day. Winds are almost always east/west so that allows for 60 miles of open water for the waves to build up.... Gets nasty.

Thanks for the input everyone! I thought I had a deal on a 1 year old Ulterra, but it fell through. Now maybe I'll wait and see.

Last time when I purchased my Terrova, 3 months later the Ulterra came out. I don't want that to happen again!
Plus I just upgraded to Lithium batteries for my trolling motor and want to get a nice new unit to help show the system off for the battery company that sponsored me. I now have over triple the capacity of a lead acid system. It's pretty crazy to go 6-7 hours trolling bottom bouncers and still have 80% battery life remaining!
Old 05-28-2019, 02:45 PM
Wallhanger

Swear I read somewhere hooking up to lithium batteries voids the warranty. If u are getting free batteries though, who gives a crap
Old 05-28-2019, 03:08 PM
Slot Fish

We have used our Ulterra on a 620 4 days of fishing so far this year, previously had a terrova.

Let me just say, it is fantastic, auto deploy and stow, remote controlled trim have been worth it to us. Spot lock works well, but so did the old I-pilot. The boat came with Lowrance units, but I added a helix 9 at the helm, which will run it anyway. Why Ranger installs Minn K, and Lowrance instead of Birds I don't know.

Gone are the days of running up front and putting the motor in the water, and or fighting to get it out and trimming it. Hit the stow button, and get ready to move to another spot. Would never go back.
Helix 9, low carbon 9 and carbon 12
Old 05-29-2019, 05:56 PM
Keeper

I have an Ulterra and like it...just waiting to see when Garmin releases their motor what it offers.