Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Random testing for covid - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Slot Fish

Default Random testing for covid

Did anyone get randomly picked to get a covid test while crossing the border
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2021, 07:00 PM
Wallhanger

He'll probably fill in the details later when he can, but I just heard from a friend that crossed this afternoon. The two cars in front of him took 30 minutes. He was done with the paperwork at the window in 5 minutes. Then he was selected for the random test. When he emailed me he was 1,219 in the queue to complete the test and had been waiting 3 hours. He said he'd get back after completing the test, but I haven't heard anything yet. That was an hour ago.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:40 PM
Wallhanger

Ok, the random test sucks. I was picked. You have to do a video chat to complete the test. I started 4 hours and 45 minutes ago at 2086 in the queue. I am now 788 in queue and based on the most recent 30 minutes progress, I have 2.75 hours to go.

Crossing the border at Baudette went fairly well. They had two lanes open. One lane made no progress at all. In my lane I had two vehicles in front of me. They took 30 minutes.

My wife and I drove in two vehicles as she may have to leave early. When my turn came, it took no more than five minutes. My wife was even less than that.

They were flagging quite a few vehicles over. Way more than normal. I have no idea why; maybe it is because they didnít have their paperwork ready or complete.

A few people were walking across the bridge to jettison their crawlers. When the agent asked me about crawlers I said I didnít have any and he thanked me implying that there have been many people with crawlers.

After he was done questioning me he said congratulations, you have been randomly selected for a Covid test and he handed me a box with the test kit. The swab must be completed within 24 hours. As a consequence I have been sitting online for a long, long time.

You need an internet connection good enough for a video chat and the test has to be shipped to a lab within 48 hours of completion of the swab. We are on a satellite connection here. I hope it is good enough for the video chat.

If you are flying out say a prayer you donít get selected.

Frank
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2021, 08:32 PM
Slot Fish

Default In the queue

what does this "in the queue" mean.....the total number of people having to take a test at all cross points at a specific time? I assume it isn't the number at one cross point.....the numbers seem so large.

I've read lots about this process, but if you self-administer test, how do you get results? when?
Old 08-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms3rd View Post
what does this "in the queue" mean.....the total number of people having to take a test at all cross points at a specific time? I assume it isn't the number at one cross point.....the numbers seem so large.

I've read lots about this process, but if you self-administer test, how do you get results? when?

You have to create an account online, then start a video chat. They must witness you taking the sample. The number in queue is the position in the waiting line for the video chat.

They give you a shipping pouch for Purolator to return the test. They send you your result via email. I am not sure where I will have to drop the package. According to my resort owner Purolator doesnít come to his town.

I am now down to about two hours wait.

Frank
Old 08-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Minnow

Seems like if I am randomly selected, there's a very good chance that flying into a remote area might not be possible, I might have to look at other options, the flight base itself has sketchy internet on a good day, and just forget about any at the outpost, definitely going to contact my outfitter and see what scenario they have in place.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:34 PM
Wallhanger

Why would they just not have you do the sample right there and give it them to process? Hopefully that site is open 24/7 but sorry to hear the BS you got tagged with.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:37 PM
Minnow

Default Test

And word I got from another lucky winner of the random test kit is they were 2000th in the que and the online test center closed at 8pm and doesnít open again till 6 am. So I guess they log in at 6 am and wait their turn in the que. could take all day. then the courier has to come pick up the test. Then you have to somehow be able to get online in the next couple of days to check your Results. Basically sounds like you just as well turn around if you get one unless you have good internet and lots of time to spend on it where youíre going.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:40 PM
Minnow

Default 24 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA$1970 View Post
Why would they just not have you do the sample right there and give it them to process? Hopefully that site is open 24/7 but sorry to hear the BS you got tagged with.
These are self test kits. Customs just hands them out. They have nothing to do with administering them. The website is NOT open 24 7. Closes at 8 pm and reopens at 6 am
Old 08-09-2021, 09:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C182P View Post
These are self test kits. Customs just hands them out. They have nothing to do with administering them. The website is NOT open 24 7. Closes at 8 pm and reopens at 6 am

The site does not close at 8pm CDT. I know because I am still on it and it is 9:48 pm CDT.

Frank