Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pellet Stove - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2021, 09:06 AM
Wallhanger

Default Pellet Stove

I live in Wis and have a small 18x30 insulated detached garage that I spend 3-4 times per week tinkering. Currently heated with electric and some small propane tank heater backup. Natural gas and propane are out of the question. Any pros and cons on a pellet stove because this is my only option other than electric. I know insurance companies do not like them, but I have another place to store gas cans ,etc. I would just burn the stove when I am physically in the garage, turning off at night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2021, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

we have one in our basement. We absolutely love it. Only on when we're down there. Takes it from low 60's to 75 in about 1 hour.

drawback is they can be a little noisy. Not sure if that's an issue in a garage though?
Old 09-24-2021, 08:12 AM
Keeper

Default Pellet Stove

Heat our Wyoming home with one, we love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2021, 10:44 AM
Keeper

We had one in our home in West Fargo and was not impressed. Noisy, finicky to get started even with auto electric start. If you plumb in fresh air, make sure you insulate the pipe/hose or it will sweat and drip all over. When not in use the wind outside can blow across the out going exhaust chimney and make a howling/sort of whistling noise. They are heavy to move around or to get them into place. The pellet quality is all over the place and some are very sooty and blacken the glass in the door, if you like seeing the fire you will be always cleaning it. We since moved to Virginia and my garage will be heated by a small wood stove in the corner. Nothing beats dry wood stove heat no moisture to deal with and easy to maintain. I do have a lot with plenty of trees so I will not have to buy wood nor travel to get it.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

our hunting cabin has one, It's awesome!
Old 09-29-2021, 04:30 PM
Keeper

When propane went through the roof a few years ago we got a nice one and put it in our front room. Looks great. There is a learning curve to them. I had to clean the glass every morning and evening if we wanted to see the fire. Have to drop the klinker of the burned pellets once or twice a day too. Tried different types of pellets and made no difference. BUT man did it heat the house. Really warmed it up. I just wanted to keep the front room warm. I put a fan up so it blew the heat thru ought the house. I have always had a wood burner in my garages installed correctly so is up to code. Easy to do. It works great and is less messing around. I have lots of trees to trim and cut down dead ones so makes sense for me. Works much better for me than a pellet stove. Feels good too!

Last edited by Wally66; 09-29-2021 at 04:32 PM.