Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gouin Res update - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-11-2019, 05:49 AM
Slot Fish

Default Gouin Res update

Hello all,

Trying to get an update on the gouin? Water level, weather, fishing report. 18 days until I hit Lac Du male for the 12th year. Can't wait. Tight Lines.
Chris Grange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 AM
Minnow

Default :rockit:

Leaving tomorrow and will report back next week. Fishing Lac du Male area as well.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe2 View Post
Leaving tomorrow and will report back next week. Fishing Lac du Male area as well.
AWESOME. Have a great trip. Let me know if Daniele and Louise are still the care takers. They have been there the last two years and are such great people. Also, how deep are the walleye for jigging. Tight Lines!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 AM
Wallhanger

Default Gouin is Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedrules View Post
Hello all,

Trying to get an update on the gouin? Water level, weather, fishing report. 18 days until I hit Lac Du male for the 12th year. Can't wait. Tight Lines.
Chris Grange

Gouin is full. I fished Jun7 to June 13, everything is two weeks behind. Water temp ranged 52* to 58* degrees. Walleye were not back from spawning grounds. NPike bite very well and walleye bite improved each day. My last day (6/13) bite was very good but not where it should have been.

Filling my quota (8 walleye) was done with ease @ Pointe aux Dore' Baie du Sud.

Wind was the worst I have ever experienced in 31 trips to the Gouin, but weather everywhere is not normal to say the least. Have a great trip. FT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	310960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0700.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	310962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	310964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	310966   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00619.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	310968  

Old 06-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Slot Fish

FT thanks so much for the update. Glad you had a great time.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:36 PM
Minnow

I have been up twice so far this year - the water is very high - last trip was last weekend - as someone mentioned everything is 2 weeks behind - water temp was 53 deg. F on sunday (16th) Fish were not biting, just sitting on the bottom - Heading back up tomorrow hopefully things will improve. We are on Mattawa Bay.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:33 AM
Minnow

Default gouin report 2019

Our group of 4 fished Saraana East with Air Tamarac from 6/18 till 6/22/19. We had some of the worst walleye fishing in 8 trips to the Gouin. We also had very inconsistent pike fishing. The reservoir was at max full level and maintained the same level for all 5 days. The surface water temp was between 61 & 65°F. It started at 61° and ended at 65°. Everything seems 1 or 2 weeks behind even last year's late ice out and potentially several weeks behind in general. Pollen was thick on the water.

Specifically about walleye: They were either still transitioning from breeding grounds, off the bite, or still not schooled up yet. We tried multiple areas and could not find concentrations of fish. We were catching them in everything from 3 to 30 feet of water, but, more consistently in 8 to 18 feet of water. We mostly jigged for walleye, but, tried some trolling to find schools. Trolling was only consistently productive for about an hour on one evening. Average fish size seemed smaller this year. We did put a 26" and 22" walleye in the boats. We found a feeding school of nice sized fish in about a 20 yard by 20 yard area (and 8 to 15 ft of water) the very last day when water temps were about 64 or 65°F.

Pike fishing was inconsistent. We would hit flurries and then catch 1 or 2 or nothing for an hour. We only caught a few small pike while jigging. The largest pike was 32" while casting a spoon off the dock. We caught 6 or 8 pike off the dock with minimal time spent. We spent some time casting for pike, but, it was not very productive in numbers or size. There was not much grass in the traditional grass beds. This was either due to the increased water level or late start in the growing season. We tried some casting at windblown shores with steep drops and had some success. We spent less time pike fishing this year because we spent so much time trying to find walleye schools.

The weather was great and typical for the area. I would say the temps ranged from 45 to 75°F. Everyday had some sun, some clouds, and a rain shower. Winds were mostly moderate, with a few time periods of light to calm winds. There were some periods of fairly strong winds, but, not enough to get blown off the water. The typical wind direction was out of the North. Probably periods of 2 or 3 days would have been tough fishing (with respect to wind) on the main bay.

Our neighbors, who mostly trolled for walleye, had a tough week also. The pair only put 5 to 10 fish in the boat daily. Except the last day. They caught a lot of walleye in the afternoon/evening. I believe that the fish are starting to school up and turn on!!!

Have fun,
Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegisfly View Post
Our group of 4 fished Saraana East with Air Tamarac from 6/18 till 6/22/19. We had some of the worst walleye fishing in 8 trips to the Gouin. We also had very inconsistent pike fishing. The reservoir was at max full level and maintained the same level for all 5 days. The surface water temp was between 61 & 65°F. It started at 61° and ended at 65°. Everything seems 1 or 2 weeks behind even last year's late ice out and potentially several weeks behind in general. Pollen was thick on the water.

Specifically about walleye: They were either still transitioning from breeding grounds, off the bite, or still not schooled up yet. We tried multiple areas and could not find concentrations of fish. We were catching them in everything from 3 to 30 feet of water, but, more consistently in 8 to 18 feet of water. We mostly jigged for walleye, but, tried some trolling to find schools. Trolling was only consistently productive for about an hour on one evening. Average fish size seemed smaller this year. We did put a 26" and 22" walleye in the boats. We found a feeding school of nice sized fish in about a 20 yard by 20 yard area (and 8 to 15 ft of water) the very last day when water temps were about 64 or 65°F.

Pike fishing was inconsistent. We would hit flurries and then catch 1 or 2 or nothing for an hour. We only caught a few small pike while jigging. The largest pike was 32" while casting a spoon off the dock. We caught 6 or 8 pike off the dock with minimal time spent. We spent some time casting for pike, but, it was not very productive in numbers or size. There was not much grass in the traditional grass beds. This was either due to the increased water level or late start in the growing season. We tried some casting at windblown shores with steep drops and had some success. We spent less time pike fishing this year because we spent so much time trying to find walleye schools.

The weather was great and typical for the area. I would say the temps ranged from 45 to 75°F. Everyday had some sun, some clouds, and a rain shower. Winds were mostly moderate, with a few time periods of light to calm winds. There were some periods of fairly strong winds, but, not enough to get blown off the water. The typical wind direction was out of the North. Probably periods of 2 or 3 days would have been tough fishing (with respect to wind) on the main bay.

Our neighbors, who mostly trolled for walleye, had a tough week also. The pair only put 5 to 10 fish in the boat daily. Except the last day. They caught a lot of walleye in the afternoon/evening. I believe that the fish are starting to school up and turn on!!!

Have fun,

Thanks for the update. Hope it picks up. We leave Sunday.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

Default More water...more places to hide

the more water the more places to hide

IMO, you had perfect temps as 65* is what walleye's love. Pike have a lot of places to roam at full pool and that requires at lot of searching, but they & the walleye should have been near the bank. Nuff said................ FT
Old 07-03-2019, 11:07 AM
Slot Fish

Bringing this back up to see if there was any new information.

Heading up on the 12th and want someone to tell me worm harnesses are not working so I can justify the money and time spent on all of these lures and artificials to lug north with me!

Always have a great time, any info would be helpful. Assume the levels are still high, but we have dealt with it before.

Thanks!