Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New trolling install with Humminbird - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-04-2019, 06:02 AM
Minnow

Default New trolling install with Humminbird

Hi all,

I've read a lot of threads on this forum for a while now, but figured I would just ask my question directly since I can't find exactly the answer I'm looking for. I purchased a Lund Adventure 1775 this spring and bought a Humminbird helix 5 DI GPS. The boat is in storage now, but of course I'm looking towards next years investments in electronics. I used my helix 5 with a sully portable bracket this year (wasn't sure I wanted to permanently mount until I knew exactly what I wanted and paid the boat off - glad I waited), but I'm looking at adding a Minnkota terrova or ulterra as well as another larger Humminbird locator with side imaging.

My question is, how big of a screen should I get on a console? I am a weekend fisherman (2 hr drive to our lake place in MN), and would really like to prevent a huge dent to the pocket book. Additionally, can I still use my helix 5 in some capacity? Right now its in a portable case (we use in on a jon boat occasionally that we bring to different lakes, also may use for ice fishing), but was thinking maybe it would even work in the portable case up at the bow when I have people fishing with me (so long as I get a trolling motor with sonar built in). I know it obviously won't network with the bigger helix units. Also any thoughts on terrova vs ulterra for a weekend non tourney fisherman like myself? I can handle lifting the motor up when done with it, and get frustrated when technology breaks - but I'm also a sucker for nifty features that make life easy haha!

Any thoughts or anyone with a similar setup? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 06:27 AM
Wallhanger

I don’t have an Ulterra, but my neighbor does it is really nice to stay seated push a button and go to another spot. I would buy the Ulterra and cheap out on the graph, like a Helix 7, 8 or 9. In 3 years if your like me you’ll probably want to up grade for newest tech.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Wallhanger

If you're in reasonably good health, the new lift assist on the Terrova makes deploying and stowing it fairly easy. I'd get a Terrova with DI transducer and Ipilot Link ($450 less than Ulterra). Network that to the biggest Helix SI GPS unit you can fit at the dash. The more screen, the better the SI resolution. Learn to use SI and you won't regret it. Use your Helix 5 at the bow just for depth/chart display.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Slot Fish

There is good competition for your dollar with new trolling motors and integrated displays. Keep your powder dry until the boat shows in the spring, and make your best deal then. Don't forget batteries and chargers, AGM and lead acid are old tech, keep a path open to upgrade here in the future if you can't do all this at once.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Wallhanger

I purchased my Ulttera as a factory reman saved me $850 and no sales tax as it came from out of state, and comes with just a 1 year warranty versus 2 for new but being remanned figured probably better then new since the bugs were fixed, not one lick of a problem in 2 years..
Old 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the help everyone. Decided that I'll probably go with a terrova 80# with Ipilot Link and a Helix 7 (Maybe 8 if I can find a deal). Dealer in my area is able to sell at $2225, but not much of a deal on the locator. Thinking maybe I'll wait and look in the spring as suggested. Anyone know of any good deals around Thanksgiving/Christmas?
Old 10-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Wallhanger

Get a Cabela’s card and wait sometime have a 10% off . Also check with BBG marine he’s a advertiser on here.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Wallhanger

https://www.profishingsupply.com/
Over the years I've bought 2 Birds, 2 battery chargers a couple of map cards and one Terrova from these guys. Free shipping and low prices.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 10-10-2019, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott392 View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. Decided that I'll probably go with a terrova 80# with Ipilot Link and a Helix 7 (Maybe 8 if I can find a deal). Dealer in my area is able to sell at $2225, but not much of a deal on the locator. Thinking maybe I'll wait and look in the spring as suggested. Anyone know of any good deals around Thanksgiving/Christmas?
Scott, be aware that the Helix 7 does not have the 3 preset keys that the Helix 8 and it's bigger brothers have. The preset keys can be a very useful feature. Choose wisely.

andersaki
Old 10-10-2019, 07:25 AM
icspinners

Last year I upgraded from an older Humminbird with a 5 inch screen (don't recall model) to a Helix 9 solely because I fish from the back of my boat and my old eyes couldn't see the 5" display well enough. Yes, all the new features were great, but the biggest win was I could see the thing. I think you need to consider which unit works the best for you fishing in your boat rather than limiting to one or two factors.