Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Gulp! Crawlers for spinner rigs? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

Another thumbs up for the Gulp Killer Crawler on slow-death rigs. I have also used the Gulp Fry with good success as well. Both work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2020, 05:15 AM
Wallhanger

I haven't tried the gulp crawlers yet but have had a lot of luck using gulp minnow and smelt on jigs.
I didn't buy no live bait yet this year and the times I went out came home with my limit.
Gulp is the way to go if using artificials.

Fisherman 1792
Old 06-17-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Piggy-backing on this Slow Death thread, who's used the Super Death hooks and what sizes work best? I see they make them all the way up to 2/0. What is smallest size I could use with a full 6" Gulp Crawler and still get good action?
Old 06-17-2020, 10:59 AM
Keeper

I don't know if you'll get good action out of any of them with a full 6" crawler. There would probably be too much of the tail hanging off the back creating drag.

For what it's worth, I prefer the Matzuo death roll hooks for use with plastics. I think the shape is a better fit for both action and durability of gulp.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Wallhanger

I prefer the larger slow death hooks because I think that the percentage of hookups is higher in my experience. I prefer GULP Killer Crawlers for slow death fishing or else just a shorter chunk of a longer crawler. The Killer Crawlers are made shorter with slow death in mind and all you have to do it thread them onto your hook. I'm not going to say a long crawler won't work because only the fish can tell you that, but in my experience if the crawlers are longer than an inch or so past the hook, they don't spin as well and the walleyes usually want a slow death hook spinning as fast as possible. I think that a faster spinning crawler triggers some instinct inside of a walleye to strike and I also believe that walleyes sense the crawlers spinning with their lateral line. A faster spinning crawler creates more disturbance that walleyes can sense from a longer distance away which results in more strikes.
Another thing I like to do with GULP products is to spray them with a shot of Berkley Alive on occasion to replenish their scent. It doesn't hurt.

Last edited by KPKyllo; 06-17-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:46 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHornen View Post
I don't know if you'll get good action out of any of them with a full 6" crawler. There would probably be too much of the tail hanging off the back creating drag.

For what it's worth, I prefer the Matzuo death roll hooks for use with plastics. I think the shape is a better fit for both action and durability of gulp.
X2 - love the Matzuo hooks