Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Looks like I may have goofed with my Windshield - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Wallhanger

That's a good suggestion, too. I was wondering about just using a good wax like I would on the rest of the truck. Didn't think about a scratch out one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Slot Fish

Maybe give it a good coat of RainX? It's possible that it just stripped the existing wax/sealant off in spots and another coat may clear it up?

Have you tried scraping it with a razor scraper to see if there is some sort of film/residue on the window? Spray with some windex and try scraping at a low angle.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreding View Post
Maybe give it a good coat of RainX? It's possible that it just stripped the existing wax/sealant off in spots and another coat may clear it up?

Have you tried scraping it with a razor scraper to see if there is some sort of film/residue on the window? Spray with some windex and try scraping at a low angle.
Have not tried the razor blade thing yet either. I will get at that tonight.

Man, Y'all have so many suggestions I'm starting to feel like I should have put WAY more thought into this myself! My mom said I was smart... is it possible she was wrong?!?!
Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Derwood,
When I had the problem with the windshield that was in a vehicle that was parked - long term next to a lawn sprinkler that was turned on every other day.

When I realized how poor the visibility had become on my vehicle, I tried most of the previous solutions suggested.

i.e. steel wool, razor blades, various cleaners, and various "excellent solutions". All to no avail.

I had decided that I was either going to get the windshield clean or get a new windshield.

So, finally, I picked up some muriatic acid, some rubber gloves a razor blade scraper and and a plastic squeeze bottle to apply the acid. If one tries to use a sprayer, often the acid destroys the sprayer when using it with the acid.

Starting at one spot, I would apply the acid from the top of the windshield and use a sponge to spread the acid on the windshield. I would let it sit for 10 minutes and then go to work with the razor blade scraper. Normally just one good application of the scraper took care of the problem. Then, a good rinse with the hose and a final clean up with Windex and a paper towel.

Nothing else that I tried worked nearly as well as the acid worked to cleanse the windshield.

Take care
Old 10-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

This is the stuff that worked! Just a little elbow grease.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191012-164402_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	313400  
Old 10-12-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Glad that you found a solution that worked for you.

Did you use a razor blade with the cleaner to help?