Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
A probate question or two - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2021, 07:43 AM
Slot Fish

I have gone to a few estate planning seminars. One thing that they said is when an estate goes into probate and is published in the paper their are dirtbags that do a claim against estates for just enough money to make it more expensive to get a lawyer to determine if they really have a claim or not. Maybe $1,000-$2,000. Watch out for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2021, 10:08 AM
Wallhanger

I did that, think it's called "notice to creditors".
Actually I did it at 2 places, a local paper and I think something called "the law journal". It's to advise any creditors that the debtor is deceased and to file claims if they are owed money, it also limits the timeframe to 2 years to file a claim, that could vary by state.
I don't know the consequences of not doing that, I was advised to do it, possibly people could file claims way past 2 years up to a statue of limitations.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
For a simple estate, there is really no need for a Lawyer.

But, it is yours and the others in the situation choice.

Take care
This is correct in Michigan. As long as all “interested parties” sign off on the executorship. Be quick about this before trouble starts brewing by some jack wagon!!! The longer it drags on the higher the risk of trouble. BTDT