Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Fishing Trip for Graduation = LOTW or Canada? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Walleye Fishing Trip for Graduation = LOTW or Canada?

Hello WC!! I haven't been on or posted in a long time. Busy raising kids and watching kids play AAU basketball the last 4 summers!! The number of days on the water the last 4 years has been minimal, but wouldn't trade the memories with my kids for the world!! Sold my boat because of this, but I can use my in-laws 2005 Trophy 190 whenever it works for a trip!!

My oldest son graduates from high school in May. Planning a walleye trip with him for graduation and asked him where he wants to go. He immediately said Lake of the Woods or Canada.

I've never been to LOTW or Canada, with the exception of one trip to Selkirk in October a number of years back. I've always liked the idea of fishing walleyes on Lac Seul....

So I'm looking for input/recommendations on where to go and what resort to stay at. I guess I'm thinking a June or July trip.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Wallhanger

I recommend Lac Seul Lodge in Ear Falls if you want to fish on Lac Seul. I've stayed there the last several years and have not been disappointed. The price is right, the staff is very helpful and friendly and the cabins are clean and modern. Talk to them about a guide for the first day or two. You won't be disappointed.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:30 PM
Wallhanger

Why not have the best of both worlds and fish LOTW in Canada.

Go to one of the many outstanding lodges in Ontario.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2017, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

Big lake trips can be made or broken depending on weather so just keep that in mind.

I would recommend a fly in trip somewhere in Canada where you have a small lake all to yourselves. Do your homework and choose carefully by paying attention to details and reviews.

Good Luck and have lots of fun catching fish,

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Keeper

For my son's graduation we did the Stokes Bay Challenge. Ash River trail to Kettle Falls with a portage over to Rainy Lake and up to Stokes Bay Resort. His best friend was also invited and it made for one memorable week. We have been talking about a reunion of sorts in the next couple of years. It's a fabulous 26 mile boat ride.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

I'm also taking my son on his first trip to Canada for his college graduation next year. I wouldn't recommend a fly-in for your first trip - the learning curve is too steep regarding planning, gear and tackle you need to bring, etc. You are limited with the total amount of weight you are allowed to bring. Plus you said you have a boat that you can borrow for the trip.

I would choose a smaller lake than Lac Seul because it will take you a while to find fish, and you really need a guide for your first visit to such big water. You would have long boat rides, potential water hazards, bad weather conditions, blah, blah, blah. I would go with a drive-to smaller lake where you can find fish rather quickly, don't have to worry about getting lost, and enjoy the time with your son. Lots of good information available on the Canada, eh? tab within this website. Just my two cents worth...
Old 10-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

Here is my 2 cents. Do a fly in. Friend of mine did the exact same thing for his daughters graduation. Four of us drove to Fort Francis and hopped a plane. She got to experience a 45 minute flight over thousands of acres of water and Canadian wilderness. We landed on Tessup Lake which is 4 1/2 miles long but only about 1/2 mile wide in most spots. Because of that we never lost a day to wind. We were the only cabin on the lake. The window screens were intact, hot running water, indoor shower but outdoor outhouse.

There were 2-3 boats with 9.9 outboards that were more then adequate. The Walleye fishing was fantastic and we found a trough that produced very nice Pike on nearly every trolling pass.

The highlite for her was we had talked to the owners previously and arranged for her to fly up front. Prior to take off the pilot walked over and said "we need to balance the weight, you 3 guys ride here and you (pointing at her) ride up front with me. You should have seen the look on her face. Anyway she crawls up front and away we go.

It's really strange to fly in those. You have all the people on bench seats and in the back you have 100# cylinders of propane and many gas cans of boat gas. You truly are a flying bomb!

Anyway, if a trip like that interests you shoot me a PM and i'll send all the contact info.
BTW, unless you want to haul in case upon case of beer and way to much tackle, weight on the plane won't be a issue.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Minnow

I've been to LOTW and Lac Seul. For walleye (hogs) go to Lac Seul! Little further drive but the eyes are way bigger and most camps are accessible by vehicle. I know Golden Eagle Resort (Ear Falls, ON) still has some June spots open right now. Clint and Marie are awesome as well! Congrats on the graduation!

Billhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9697910599.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...602cd8c39f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbns View Post

X2...
Old 10-21-2017, 03:59 PM
Wallhanger

Default Canadian LOTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbns View Post

X3

Consider one of the many resorts out of Morson, Nester Falls, or Sioux Narrows, Ont. Because of weather conditions @ all times of open water on LOTW, I recommend staying off of the Mn. side of the lake. Better known as the "Big Water". Choosing a location in Ontario LOTW, you will have a much better opportunity to fish 80% to 100% of U'er trip because of the many Ontario islands that will provide U with protection from the lakes worst enemy---WIND!! The other bonus is infinite structure conditions, the true beauty of the LOTW islands & their wildlife + the multiple species of fresh water fish that LOTW houses. Best of luck, CRJohn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	109_109.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	276489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Morning calm after storm at Grassy Narrows (1024x768).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	276497  
My Ride: 2001/1800 Lund Pro-V, '17/Honda 90hp V-Tech Tiller, 82# Bow Mount MtrGuide, LCX104c, LCX19c, LCX27c, Dual Pro Charger w/eng. assist, Ram Mounts & Holders, Wave Whackers, Clarion Sirrus Sat. Radio & Shorelander Roller Trailer on Lake of the Woods.