Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you think I can get a little more from my rig? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 09-13-2021, 07:35 AM
Keeper

Default Do you think I can get a little more from my rig?

I got my SHO hooked up to a 7" Simrad for gauges. My rig is a 205 Competitor Tiller. I'm happy with the hole shot , top end is pretty good 36-38mph depending on conditions. Fuel mileage is incredible!

We just did a week with a 15 mile run to camp, running around the lake and trolling all week because my ulterra failed (that's a story for another post!) and we came with 15 gals!

My SHO is running a 13.25 x 15P Nemesis 4 Blade aluminum prop. I'm wondering if I went with a SpitFire X7 or the SpitFire X7 XP would I squeeze out a little more. I can get to max rpm 6300 with our typical load no problem by trimming to about 80%.

With 50 gallons of fuel, fishing gear, Ulterra , 4 - 31s lead acid batts, 3 - 70-80 labs and 2 adults, I can get 36 mph at 6000 rpms.. trimming up to 6300 does not increase the speed.

Here is a screen shot at 1/2 tank on the same trip, but with 28 gallons of fuel trimming up further got me to 38mph. At this speed it does feel a bit squirrely, I'm wondering if a SS 4 blade would hold the boat boat a little more stable at these speeds and provide a more stern lift to allow the boat to run flatter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_075010.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	524.8 KB
ID:	329214  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2021, 09:16 AM
Wallhanger

I run a 205 windshield version with 250 sho. I have ran Bravo fs, SW2, Tempest, 3 different enertia's. My favorite prop is the Enertia 19p. I hated my FS with too much stern lift. The boat ran too flat skipping across waves. The Enertia seems to have just the right amount of stern lift while also being able to raise the bow when you want to. This overall lift gives my boat the best ride and top speed. I'd test one before buying.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:26 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjy View Post
I run a 205 windshield version with 250 sho. I have ran Bravo fs, SW2, Tempest, 3 different enertia's. My favorite prop is the Enertia 19p. I hated my FS with too much stern lift. The boat ran too flat skipping across waves. The Enertia seems to have just the right amount of stern lift while also being able to raise the bow when you want to. This overall lift gives my boat the best ride and top speed. I'd test one before buying.
Thanks for the input! I would love to try it first but for some reason dealers here in Ontario (toronto to barrie) region don't stock most props and don't offer prop tests.. I tried to find a SpitFire SS when we got the boat and nobody stocked them UGH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

To get more speed, you need to have a larger pitch prop. To allow you to run a larger pitch prop you will need to go to a 3 blade prop.

So, if you run a 3 blade prop in either 17, 18, or 19 pitch - of an appropriate diameter, you will get more speed (likely). However, as soon as you begin to raise the pitch you are going to lose hole shot.

So, it is just what do you want. Hole shot or top end.

Some time ago, I was using the boat for making some very very long runs. In my case, I increased the prop by 2 1/2 inches from my usual prop. This raised my top speed by between 5 and 6 miles per hour. But, the hole shot increased by 4 times. But, that was fine, because for this trip, I needed the extra top end so that I could throttle back and conserve fuel for the very long runs that I was making.

There is nothing free in life. If you want more speed, you have to give up hole shot. The best way to achieve that is to run a prop with one less blade.

If you want more speed, you likely have to give up a very stable ride. If you want to go fast - you want as little of your boat's hull in the water as possible. Every bit of hull that is in the water will slow you down. If you get to the point so that the front 70% of your boat is out of the water and riding on air, you will be getting very close to the hulls maximum speed. Ideally - as is the case with Hydros, the boat is running on about 1 square foot of hull at each back corner of the boat and the prop. Everything else is in the air and you are running on air.

Best wishes and enjoy.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:59 PM
Keeper

I would say fuel mileage is relative, boat motors are not rated like cars in miles per gallon, prop to water transfer is horrible inefficient. boat motors are rate in GPH based on RPM. There is usually a best spot for overall fuel economy. We make a lot of long runs an hour or more some days, my first question is do you really know how much fuel is in your tank compared to what the gauge says this is a huge variable some boats may read true at a certain point but not many read true through out the entire tank. Yours looks like a pretty sweet setup. a 3 pitch prop will likely give you the best speed, as was mentioned its give or take on speed, economy, vs hole shot, control and the typical load you are pushing around. Just have to find that happy place. You can come close but you never really have the best of both worlds... but we try and get close. ; )
Old 09-13-2021, 02:06 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidedfishing View Post
I would say fuel mileage is relative, boat motors are not rated like cars in miles per gallon, prop to water transfer is horrible inefficient. boat motors are rate in GPH based on RPM. There is usually a best spot for overall fuel economy. We make a lot of long runs an hour or more some days, my first question is do you really know how much fuel is in your tank compared to what the gauge says this is a huge variable some boats may read true at a certain point but not many read true through out the entire tank. Yours looks like a pretty sweet setup. a 3 pitch prop will likely give you the best speed, as was mentioned its give or take on speed, economy, vs hole shot, control and the typical load you are pushing around. Just have to find that happy place. You can come close but you never really have the best of both worlds... but we try and get close. ; )
Hi,

My fuel usage is read over nema 2k from the outboard. I disconnected my fuel float in the tank, the factory fuel float and gauge were crap, they stuck 2 months after I got the boat.

I used this on a few trips via LMF-400 gauge that someone kindly donated to me for the cost of shipping, it was very accurate. I have since upgraded to this Simrad unit.. So I'm pretty confident the accuracy is there.

I will know for sure when I refuel for our next holiday. If minn kota can find me a replacement Ulterra which is not sounding good
Old 09-14-2021, 08:06 PM
Wallhanger

I use nmea2000 to simrad go5xse and lowrance fuel data manager for fuel usage and engine data. It seems very accurate in 3 years I've used it. I've ran my tank down to 5 gallons from full and when filling, put in 40 gallons. Tank is 45.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:33 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjy View Post
I use nmea2000 to simrad go5xse and lowrance fuel data manager for fuel usage and engine data. It seems very accurate in 3 years I've used it. I've ran my tank down to 5 gallons from full and when filling, put in 40 gallons. Tank is 45.

Yup it's so good and if simrad's SI compares to hb's next time I'm do for an upgrade. I'll be switching.. the user interface is so good on these units and FASTER!
Old 09-15-2021, 09:43 PM
Wallhanger

Simrad should be equal to Lowrances SI. All the newer units seem comparable but their SI can show things differently. Lot of youtube comparisons. I do like Lowrance and simrad interface compared to my Helix but when I'm fishing, my Helix interface is just fine. I prefer buttons over the touch screen when fishing rough water. Way easier to rest my hand on side of unit while running and switch between sonar screens. I prefer my mapping and waypoints on lowrance/simrad.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Luv,
Have you tried any 3- blade props to see if you can get more speed with your engine?