Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Aim ???? - Page 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Big Richard

Default pro

As a Fan either I like it or I don't
Its not my job to phone them and tell them how to improve
I don't like golf so i don't watch but thousands do , so they must be doing something right or they
would disappear just like so many walleye trails.

IMO I think fishing out priced it'self
Fishing a unique sport unlike most others i actually don't
need a lot of talent in order to compete but i do know i do need a lot of money
But no matter how much money i have i can't play in the NFL or the NHL I'm just not that talented
And i think that's where you lose your allure there's a lot of self proclaimed pro's out there
That are pretty mediocre fisherman with a big wallet.

Whats the answer I don't know but i do know it has to do with demographics and population
Lets face it some of the best walleye spots are not exactly located in populous areas making it hard to create a crowd atmosphere creating excitement.
I did like the format of making the cut
Maybe just apply it to a 2 day format you gotta perform day 1 to play on day 2
And Most Important
Lower the entry fees will draw more entrants maybe get back on the track of fishing for the trophy other than the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Here's the take/thoughts from a fellow I-Guy that I will share (email)...

Quote:
Hey Ray I'll tell you one problem Cabelas will have is the fact they go where they are paid to go for an event and don't even take into consideration that the bite may have been over 3 months before. I fished the first 6 of there National team championships and came away with a bad taste in my mouth every time. Events are catered to those with big money boats not the mom n pop boats of most local circuits. Can't remember any event not won by anyone not local. It seemed like locals always finished 6 out of ten top places. Several of the event had teams going 20+ miles to find fish. You waited 2-3 hours to get your $100 check if you didn't finish at the top. The first year the winners got a Ranger boat. The second year you only could win a ranger boat if you already owned and were fishing the event from one. I could go on. I guess thats why I shop Gander or Bass Pro when my local shop can't get items for me. I also fished the PWT as an amatuer and saw first hand that it was a "Have money to Fish" circuit. I fished with a few top notch anglers who knew their sport and many who belonged on the bank using stink bait for catfish and carp. The best national circuit was Team Walleye and Pro Team Walleye back in the late nineties, well thought out catered to all anglers. Their events were timed with good bites and you could get to fish in a 14' boat with a 5hp motor as easily as a big rig. It was a sad day when they folded up.

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser
Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybob View Post
Here's the take/thoughts from a fellow I-Guy that I will share (email)...
What does this complainer's thoughts have to do with AIM?
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Be nice Juls ~ he is a true-blue I-Guy, not a complainer, who gave his opinion after reading this thread.

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybob View Post
Be nice Juls ~ he is a true-blue I-Guy, not a complainer, who gave his opinion after reading this thread.
He gave his opinion to you in private. You posted it on a public forum.

I read it and didn't see anything constructive about it.

By the way, Cabelas sponsors the NTC and NWT. They are the title sponsor, so their name gets to be on the "title". Cabelas does not pick sites or anything else.

And, what any of that has to do with AIM is still confusing to me.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112

Last edited by Juls; 02-14-2013 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Had a correction.......
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Random whining

What Juls said.......what does it have to do with AIM?

BTW.....anyone who qualifies for the NTC fishes it. You qualify, you go to the tourney, you compete on an even playing field whether it's your home water or someone else home water, and no matter what size your boat is you do the best you can based on the fish you find in practice. How does that differ from any other tournament?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
What Juls said.......what does it have to do with AIM?

BTW.....anyone who qualifies for the NTC fishes it. You qualify, you go to the tourney, you compete on an even playing field whether it's your home water or someone else home water, and no matter what size your boat is you do the best you can based on the fish you find in practice. How does that differ from any other tournament?
Amen. Unfortunately in this game you have winners and losers and I find that most of the whining comes from those that did not do so hot. We all knew what we were getting into and nobody forced us to enter. There would not be much complaining if everyone made a butt load of money at each event but that is not the case.

To get this back onto AIM, I truly wish them the best in this bad economy. I hope my doom and gloom is wrong and I sure respect those that are putting in their time and money to try to make it successful.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Funny thing about a bad economy............it makes everyone re-access their priorities. We all like to buy choice cut steaks when we are flush with cash. But when times get tougher we will settle for hamburger.

Same applies to fishing. Fisherman and sponsors both go where they get the best bang for the buck while still being with-in sensible budgets.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Wallhanger

Whatever tournament it is, AIM, NTC, MWC or NWT, it's always going to be on somebodys home water. Not a legitimate complaint if that was the complint.

John Mickish
NPAA# 379