Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minn Kota MKA-21 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Minnow

Default Minn Kota MKA-21

I recently purchased a Minn Kota 112 Ulterra, I was sold a MKA-21 quick release for it. Looking at Minn Kota information they indicate that it is compatible, but they recommend a MKA-53. Does anyone have 112 with the MKA-21 quick release and what is your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Keeper

Have the Mk21 with my Ulterra. Problem is the Lock screw is tough to get into place but not impssible. I went to local Hareware store bought a longer bolt, attached a thumb screw. ( Made a new lock screw) Good too go. Only needs 3/4 inch. Seems like Minn Kota should off that 10 cent option.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:10 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by glh View Post
I recently purchased a Minn Kota 112 Ulterra, I was sold a MKA-21 quick release for it. Looking at Minn Kota information they indicate that it is compatible, but they recommend a MKA-53. Does anyone have 112 with the MKA-21 quick release and what is your experience?
Terrova 112 here....If it were me I would go with either the mka 32 or mka 51. They give the best clamping with the least amount of slop/movement. It comes with a nice cover as well when you take off the TM. I'm a fish n ski user, my kids like to jump off the bow so less chance of them stubbing their toes.

The thing I didn't like about the mka 53 is if you had your tm bolted down really tight it was hard to get the bar through the bottom piece to lock. I had to get the carpet to settle and really smush the motor down to get the locking bar through the holes. Even then there was still some slop/movement.

I have since moved on to a motorguide xi5. I bought the MG quick release mount which I found to be a joke. I returned it and ended up using the mka 32 to mount my motorguide xi5! Stiff as a brick.
MG Xi5 72" 105 36v
HDS Live 12 w/totalscan/ Carbon 12-bow
Old 04-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Wallhanger

I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the Ulterra 80 and 112, but I've had the MKA-21 for 4 years now and have been very happy with it. The first year I had a Terrova and then switched to the Ulterra. I leave the motor on the boat all the time and trailer my boat at least 2500 miles per year.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

I put 3 or 4 fender washers on each base plate mounting bolt between the plate and the carpet.
That eliminated the tm plate from rubbing the carpet.