Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Follow the contour wanders! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-30-2019, 04:17 PM
Minnow

Default Follow the contour wanders!

Have a Helix 10 With all the options and when I have it running in follow the contour it tends to wander, even in calm conditions it just kinda follows the contour, can be 5’ eithe r side of the selected contour, is there anyway to get it to stay closer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 05:20 PM
Wallhanger

Old ipilot or new bluetooth? Old ipilot, 5' would be pretty good. I think they had a 5-10' working range for the gps. New bluetooth one is supposed to have 3'.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Consider yourself lucky to have the ability to Follow the Contour! I have a Blue Tooth Ulterra paired with an ONIX that rarely finds the contour even when you are sitting on it. Then when it does find it and start to follow it the dark line on the contour will stop and when the boat hits that spot it cancels navigation. Sure is great when your trolling multiple lines and all of a sudden everything just stops. I can't believe they ever had any of this crap tested prior to putting them on the market. What a P.O.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 07:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiMinneye View Post
Consider yourself lucky to have the ability to Follow the Contour! I have a Blue Tooth Ulterra paired with an ONIX that rarely finds the contour even when you are sitting on it. Then when it does find it and start to follow it the dark line on the contour will stop and when the boat hits that spot it cancels navigation. Sure is great when your trolling multiple lines and all of a sudden everything just stops. I can't believe they ever had any of this crap tested prior to putting them on the market. What a P.O.S.
I have a blue tooth ulterra paired with a helix 10 and mine works as you describe.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:09 AM
Wallhanger

A few questions for clarification. “Wanders 5’ either side of contour “. Does this mean if you’re on 20’ it wanders from 15’-25’? How tight are the contours? GPS is +-8’ so I imagine on tight contours it would be rough to stay right on it. Now if you’re veering off 30’ side to side that would be bad.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:47 AM
Wallhanger

It seems with the latest iteration the Follow Contour actually works for a change, but it can be a bit quirky. At times it will track right on the line and other times parallel the line. I've also had it overcorrect back and forth several times like an S. I'm also wondering about recalibration of the heading sensor. I did not care for the way my projected course lines were showing up last time out but I did not take the time to investigate.
Solix 12 G1

Last edited by Diesel Pro; 07-10-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
It seems with the latest iteration the Follow Contour actually works for a change, but it can be a bit quirky. At times it will track right on the line and other times parallel the line. I've also had it overcorrect back and forth several times like an S. I'm also wondering about recalibration of the heading sensor. I did not care for the way my projected course lines were showing up last time out but I did not take the time to investigate.
Are you using a lakemaster card or autochart map? If card, have you tried syncing the chart to your gps when on the water? May help.. dont know
Old 07-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
Are you using a lakemaster card or autochart map? If card, have you tried syncing the chart to your gps when on the water? May help.. dont know

Lakemaster chip with autochart live.
Solix 12 G1
Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Minnow

Kevin - how do you synch your Lakemaster chip with your GPS?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkrum View Post
Kevin - how do you synch your Lakemaster chip with your GPS?
https://youtu.be/pwU_pylY8pE