Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Carlyle Trailer Tires - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 08-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Minnow

Default Carlyle Trailer Tires

My Lund came with a Shorelander dual trailer and Carlyle tires.
Should I be concerned about having Carlyle tires or have they improved? I have always used Goodyear Marathons. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

I've never heard much good about them, but I quess I would run them.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

I know there have been many complaints on their radial tires, but I've had good luck with their bias ply. Keep an eye on them and keep them properly inflated. Also make sure their weight rating has a cushion to what your actual load is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Wallhanger

Default Marathons are NOT what they used to be!

While there was a lot of reported problems with Carlyle ST trailer tires, the Chinese made GoodYear Marthons are having their share of issues too. I ran Marathons exclusively when they were made in the USA with no problems, can't say the same with the new Marathon China bombs. While Carlysle is known for having issues, the good news is they are aware of it ( going on for years) and I have to believe they've made some design and production changes to improve quality. As the others stated, just make sure you keep your tire pressures correct and have a good spare. I have switched all my trailers that use ST tires to Maxxis, based on their good history of quality and offering of higher load range / capacity in their ST tires.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

i'd run them for at least 2 or 3 seasons to get my moneys worth, as long as they are the correct tires for your setup. get your rig weighed with all the equipment and gas you normally run. check the load range on the tires and add those together for your total. i like to see the total load capacity exceed the weight of the rig by 200 - 400 lbs. as a safety factor. make sure you run the tire pressure at the max as listed on the sidewall. following these rough guidelines strictly, i've gone through multiple sets of carlisle and goodyear trailer tires without a failure.

Last edited by jake; 08-13-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

I have had no problem with them, mine are bias ply not radial

Rebs
Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I had mine balenced on my trailer, and they where out of balence to, tows much smoother.

This is my second season and they show hardly any wear
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Wallhanger

I heard the horror storys as well. However, I didn't have much choice out in the middle of no-where, so I bought a set. They've been fine. I don't abuse or neglect them, but I do use them hard, including considerable gravel roads. No problems.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I went through 12 Carlisle tires before I went to a tandom trailer to handle the weigtht of my 1900SE. I balmed Carlisle for a long time until I took my trailer to a scale fully loaded and it was over the rated load.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Keeper

I have had Carlisle tires on my trailer for 3 years now. I would guess the miles to be about 12,000 now. Not one problem. I am going to put new tires on next spring since I believe trailer tires should be replaced every 3 years and under 15,000 miles.

I have seen lots of people have blowouts, etc and they normally blame there tires. Normally they have the trouble on a long trip. Why is that?... cause they have a ton of gear packed in the boat and there tires might not be inflated to the proper psi. Trailer tires are ABUSED most of the time. They will work much better if properly inflated and not forced to carry loads heavier then designed. Also... make sure your axle is aligned correctly and your springs or torsion bars are working properly. I have seen boat trailers crabbing down the road on more then 1 occasion which isnt good.